Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1
3 4 5
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Lunablack

3,473 posts

48 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
v8woollie said:
Disagree on this one. ]
I did say IMOsmile

I find that knowing how wide your car is, and knowing how to park avoids alloy damagehehe

Maybe im lucky but I can't remember the last time I had to replace a tyre due to damage..... If ever.....

sukh_m

Original Poster:

1,058 posts

78 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
I think all of the products on offer are subjective to how much you'd drive the car. I don't/won't use the car as a daily so maybe some of the products on offer aren't worth it.......

I've had 1 tyre blow out ever over a period of 8 years of sports cars. Hardly ever scuffed an alloy as i'm quite careful.
Had a few scratches but they polished out.
Never (touch wood) had a bad accident.

michael gould

4,991 posts

127 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
v8woollie said:
michael gould said:
those sort of products are taken out by idiots......and poor people......tell em no thankyou
I rather be classed as a poor person or idiot and get a tyre replaced for free as I had the wherewithal to insure against damage, than a rich person with more money than sense who wants to pay over the odds.

And there is nothing wrong with being poor. Some of the nicest (rich) people I know started off life being poor. And I'll tell you why they are the nicest people I know - because they never forget that they once were poor so they treat everyone with respect regardless.
they are massive profit products for car dealers (about 50% of cost is profit) If you must have gap insurance then use a broker who has no connection to the deal.......if you cant afford a new tyre without taking out insurance then your a bit sad and perhaps should be driving a little more down market ....perhaps a Jag

I dont know any poor people but im sure some of them are charming

jonby

2,414 posts

43 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
sukh_m said:
I think all of the products on offer are subjective to how much you'd drive the car. I don't/won't use the car as a daily so maybe some of the products on offer aren't worth it.......

I've had 1 tyre blow out ever over a period of 8 years of sports cars. Hardly ever scuffed an alloy as i'm quite careful.
Had a few scratches but they polished out.
Never (touch wood) had a bad accident.
agree, hence me getting tyre/wheel protection on my DD but not my Aston

none of these are daft providing you check they fit your circumstances............except pureguard/glasscoat/etc which is ridiculous and can never be justified - that really is pure dealer profit. In fact at the £795 Broughtons were asking, I threatened to report them and suggested it was close to illegal, certainly immoral

This is what they said

Please find attached details on Glasscoat paint protection. Broughtons are now trained applicators of Glasscoat paint, an excellent paint protection product that we are able to offer to our customers for only £795 for the application and the aftercare kit. Please find attached a brochure which full describes the benefits of Glasscoat and how it works to protect the valuable paint work of your new Aston Martin V8 S. When we prepare your vehicle, Glasscoat can be applied ready for collection here at Broughtons but I will need a little notice to get this ready for you, if you would like to take advantage please let me know.

Bare in mind they are the applicators. So it's almost pure profit. Quite astonishing. It's not so much that the product is bad, but I'll guess cost of the kit to the dealer is no more than £50. My local Honda dealer charges £300 for the same thing (fitted). It left me with a really sour taste in my mouth...

NixP

33 posts

28 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
Tyre Insurance is the way to go, got it when i got my car. Drove the car 600 miles on brand new tyres and had a puncture, Claimed under the insurance smile now 1 more tyre and i covered more then what i paid or alloy wheel claim ( although bare in mind i don't think they will refub Diamond Cut under that)

Now i'm not someone who normally keen on insurance house, travel, computers etc more of a if it get broken i can afford to replace it - but i though the tyre was a good deal, only thing i took from the dealer
Advertisement

sukh_m

Original Poster:

1,058 posts

78 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
I was quoted this on tyre insurance:

TYRE DAMAGE COVER – TYRE PROTECTION IS DESIGNED TO COVER THE COST OF A REPLACEMENT TYRE IN THE EVENT OF A BLOWOUT, PUNCTURE OR MALICIOUS DAMAGE FOR A PERIOD OF 2 YEARS UP TO A MAXIMUM CLAIM OF £450.00 PER TYRE AND UP TO 5 TYRES OVER A 2 YEAR PERIOD & Alloy Cover 10 claims in 2 year period. Individual cost £649.00

£599.00 for Superguard which still seems like a rip off.

NixP

33 posts

28 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
£649 is a bit more then what i paid , I would be offering Sub £500 (£450)

NixP

33 posts

28 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
And as for the superguard , whats the point of super guarding somethink that is not been cleaned and polished properly in the first place, i would go detailer route then pay £599 for them to protect a un-cleaned paint work

Zod

26,882 posts

144 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
michael gould said:
sukh_m said:
Being offered a few add-ons for the vantage since I bought it:

- Gap Insurance (pays out difference between invoice and insurance)
- Tyre Damage Cover (malicious damage, blowouts etc)
- Smart Insurance (scratches/dents/chips cover)
- Pureguard (Paint/Fabric Protection)

Anyone taken any of these out?

thanks smile
those sort of products are taken out by idiots......and poor people......tell em no thankyou
Shortfall (return to invoice) insurance saved me £5k when my M3 was stolen ten years ago. If I had taken it out on our X5, it would have saved me £30k. Not taking it out left me poorer

v8woollie

4,297 posts

31 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
Like I said, insurance always seems like a rip off until you need it. As for the alloy and tyre insurance, I paid £350, so the new tyre today makes me at break even.

If I was so poor that I couldn't afford a replacement tyre I certainly wouldn't be able to afford the insurance.

Now stop being provocative and trying to wind me up Mr Gould smile

stanwan

1,165 posts

112 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
michael gould said:
v8woollie said:
michael gould said:
those sort of products are taken out by idiots......and poor people......tell em no thankyou
I rather be classed as a poor person or idiot and get a tyre replaced for free as I had the wherewithal to insure against damage, than a rich person with more money than sense who wants to pay over the odds.

And there is nothing wrong with being poor. Some of the nicest (rich) people I know started off life being poor. And I'll tell you why they are the nicest people I know - because they never forget that they once were poor so they treat everyone with respect regardless.
they are massive profit products for car dealers (about 50% of cost is profit) If you must have gap insurance then use a broker who has no connection to the deal.......if you cant afford a new tyre without taking out insurance then your a bit sad and perhaps should be driving a little more down market ....perhaps a Jag

I dont know any poor people but im sure some of them are charming
Just to put you in the picture michael - A standard V8/Db9 alloy comes in at around £350 from what I recall.

I've dented two of my Jags 20" senta wheels - Dealer wanted £1200 each for the alloys!

So my advice is to avoid potholes and ignore Michaels advice on driving a Jag......

michael gould

4,991 posts

127 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
Zod said:
michael gould said:
sukh_m said:
Being offered a few add-ons for the vantage since I bought it:

- Gap Insurance (pays out difference between invoice and insurance)
- Tyre Damage Cover (malicious damage, blowouts etc)
- Smart Insurance (scratches/dents/chips cover)
- Pureguard (Paint/Fabric Protection)

Anyone taken any of these out?

thanks smile
those sort of products are taken out by idiots......and poor people......tell em no thankyou
Shortfall (return to invoice) insurance saved me £5k when my M3 was stolen ten years ago. If I had taken it out on our X5, it would have saved me £30k. Not taking it out left me poorer
You paid to much for it in the first place or you just rolled over and accepted what the insurance company offered .......you.......never never never agree to an insurance companies first offer........a pal of mine managed to raise the offer on his rather old Porker from 9.5k to 13k after some negotiation only a few months ago

Jockman

9,386 posts

46 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
jonby said:
.... However I don't agree that a good DT refurb should cost the £200 referred to above - sounds overpriced IMHO
+1

JCT just refurbed 2 DTs for me on the DB9 at about £70 each IIRC.

Cannot believe that some of you Shandy Southerners are falling for the Gould bait !!! I can just picture him sitting there in his thunderpants, quoiffing a cheap bottle of Hardy's tinto from a plastic beaker, a great big grin plastered on his face yes

michael gould

4,991 posts

127 months

[news] 
Thursday 11th October 2012 quote quote all
Jockman said:
jonby said:
.... However I don't agree that a good DT refurb should cost the £200 referred to above - sounds overpriced IMHO
+1

JCT just refurbed 2 DTs for me on the DB9 at about £70 each IIRC.

Cannot believe that some of you Shandy Southerners are falling for the Gould bait !!! I can just picture him sitting there in his thunderpants, quoiffing a cheap bottle of Hardy's tinto from a plastic beaker, a great big grin plastered on his face yes
thunderpants yes..........Hardys never.......darling, i dont do cheap wine smile

sukh_m

Original Poster:

1,058 posts

78 months

[news] 
Thursday 11th October 2012 quote quote all
michael gould said:
thunderpants yes..........Hardys never.......darling, i dont do cheap wine smile
Blossom Hill? smile

michael gould

4,991 posts

127 months

[news] 
Thursday 11th October 2012 quote quote all
sukh_m said:
michael gould said:
thunderpants yes..........Hardys never.......darling, i dont do cheap wine smile
Blossom Hill? smile
never tried it but believe it’s truly horrendous ......I did drink a good bottle of Amarone last night and polished of the half bottle of pudding wine that we opened at the weekend....o yes and a Moscow mule to start with smile

sukh_m

Original Poster:

1,058 posts

78 months

[news] 
Thursday 11th October 2012 quote quote all
michael gould said:
never tried it but believe it’s truly horrendous ......I did drink a good bottle of Amarone last night and polished of the half bottle of pudding wine that we opened at the weekend....o yes and a Moscow mule to start with smile
It is horrendous and i dont drink wine either!

he he sounds good........I'm more a grey goose vodka person cool

Zod

26,882 posts

144 months

[news] 
Thursday 11th October 2012 quote quote all
michael gould said:
Zod said:
michael gould said:
sukh_m said:
Being offered a few add-ons for the vantage since I bought it:

- Gap Insurance (pays out difference between invoice and insurance)
- Tyre Damage Cover (malicious damage, blowouts etc)
- Smart Insurance (scratches/dents/chips cover)
- Pureguard (Paint/Fabric Protection)

Anyone taken any of these out?

thanks smile
those sort of products are taken out by idiots......and poor people......tell em no thankyou
Shortfall (return to invoice) insurance saved me £5k when my M3 was stolen ten years ago. If I had taken it out on our X5, it would have saved me £30k. Not taking it out left me poorer
You paid to much for it in the first place or you just rolled over and accepted what the insurance company offered .......you.......never never never agree to an insurance companies first offer........a pal of mine managed to raise the offer on his rather old Porker from 9.5k to 13k after some negotiation only a few months ago
Michael, I am not a complete idiot; I negotiated the offer up by £10k from £37k to £47k. If you spend a lot on extras, you lose it on resale. We all know that. I had intended to keep the car for five years. Shortfall would have been a sensible investment.

michael gould

4,991 posts

127 months

[news] 
Thursday 11th October 2012 quote quote all
Zod said:
michael gould said:
Zod said:
michael gould said:
sukh_m said:
Being offered a few add-ons for the vantage since I bought it:

- Gap Insurance (pays out difference between invoice and insurance)
- Tyre Damage Cover (malicious damage, blowouts etc)
- Smart Insurance (scratches/dents/chips cover)
- Pureguard (Paint/Fabric Protection)

Anyone taken any of these out?

thanks smile
those sort of products are taken out by idiots......and poor people......tell em no thankyou
Shortfall (return to invoice) insurance saved me £5k when my M3 was stolen ten years ago. If I had taken it out on our X5, it would have saved me £30k. Not taking it out left me poorer
You paid to much for it in the first place or you just rolled over and accepted what the insurance company offered .......you.......never never never agree to an insurance companies first offer........a pal of mine managed to raise the offer on his rather old Porker from 9.5k to 13k after some negotiation only a few months ago
Michael, I am not a complete idiot; I negotiated the offer up by £10k from £37k to £47k. If you spend a lot on extras, you lose it on resale. We all know that. I had intended to keep the car for five years. Shortfall would have been a sensible investment.
well...I’ve never had finance on a car so have never needed gap insurance.......some people just like to insure for all possibilities.....I am happy to take on some of the risk myself.......horses for courses......glad that you negotiated a better deal with the insurance company ....90% of people just accept the first offer

AMDBSNick

3,866 posts

48 months

[news] 
Thursday 11th October 2012 quote quote all
michael gould said:
well...I’ve never had finance on a car so have never needed gap insurance
You don't have to have finance to have gap confused
1
3 4 5
Reply to Topic