Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1 2 3 4
6
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Gillet

635 posts

95 months

[news] 
Thursday 10th February 2011 quote quote all
Nice review.

Passed Mod 1 today. Mod 2 booked in for 22nd, far too long to wait!

Best advice is practice, practice, practice, there's no subsitute. The worst part about the whole thing is your own nerves, get over this and its a doddle, nothing you shouldn't be able to do on the road.

Gillet

635 posts

95 months

[news] 
Thursday 24th February 2011 quote quote all
Quick update, passed Mod 2 on Tuesday, over the freaking moon! Been riding my ER5 around with the biggest smile you've ever seen.

For Mod 2 the main tip is "Ride for yourself". Think of the examiner as your sat nav and don't worry about being in the wrong lane etc. If you make a mistake, STICK TO THAT DECISION, so if your in the left lane approaching a roundabout and he's told you to turn right, DO NOT panic and last minute indicate and move over, just stay in the lane your in and go straight ahead, you cannot fail for going the wrong way.

Good luck everyone, its SO WORTH IT!

sharpfocus

11,151 posts

77 months

[news] 
Sunday 13th March 2011 quote quote all
Are there centres where you can stump up some cash and spend a week there or something and get through all these tests?

Steve Evil

9,275 posts

115 months

[news] 
Monday 14th March 2011 quote quote all
sharpfocus said:
Are there centres where you can stump up some cash and spend a week there or something and get through all these tests?
Yes, it's called a direct access course, should be plenty of schools near you that do them, you turn up and do the CBT on the first day, spend the next day practising for your Module 1 test, do that on the third day along with practise for your Module 2, then round off the week by hopefully passing that. Price will vary from anywhere between £500 and £1000 depending on who you do it with.

TheSpaceCowboy

36 posts

66 months

[news] 
Saturday 19th March 2011 quote quote all
Mod 1 aced Mod 2 on Tuesday! Shame I don't have my licence today its such a perfect day!
Advertisement

TheSpaceCowboy

36 posts

66 months

[news] 
Tuesday 22nd March 2011 quote quote all
Passed Mod 2 too biggrin Now for that bike...

Rammy76

795 posts

69 months

[news] 
Tuesday 26th April 2011 quote quote all
TheSpaceCowboy said:
Passed Mod 2 too biggrin Now for that bike...
I passed my Mod 1 months ago and because of work I'm just getting round to Mod 2 now.

How did you find it?

Is the Mod 2 reasonably straight forward?

TheSpaceCowboy

36 posts

66 months

[news] 
Wednesday 4th May 2011 quote quote all
Rammy76 said:
I passed my Mod 1 months ago and because of work I'm just getting round to Mod 2 now.

How did you find it?

Is the Mod 2 reasonably straight forward?
Hiya mate I found it fairly straight forward, I had a few issues with the headset during my ride (annoyingly during the solo ride part of the test) but I rode my own way and when the examiner stopped me I explained the headset was not working properly. Overall I was told they are looking for confidence on the road, make good progress (I was told all the examiners are bike enthusiasts) and nothing that would make you stand out like a learner, I guess because if you hesitate on a bike someone could go into the back of you! Obviously don't forget your observations though!

Keep calm and ride confidently is the best advice I can give smile

Edited by TheSpaceCowboy on Wednesday 4th May 18:30

Rammy76

795 posts

69 months

[news] 
Thursday 5th May 2011 quote quote all
TheSpaceCowboy said:
Rammy76 said:
I passed my Mod 1 months ago and because of work I'm just getting round to Mod 2 now.

How did you find it?

Is the Mod 2 reasonably straight forward?
Hiya mate I found it fairly straight forward, I had a few issues with the headset during my ride (annoyingly during the solo ride part of the test) but I rode my own way and when the examiner stopped me I explained the headset was not working properly. Overall I was told they are looking for confidence on the road, make good progress (I was told all the examiners are bike enthusiasts) and nothing that would make you stand out like a learner, I guess because if you hesitate on a bike someone could go into the back of you! Obviously don't forget your observations though!

Keep calm and ride confidently is the best advice I can give smile

Edited by TheSpaceCowboy on Wednesday 4th May 18:30
Thanks for that advice, did basically as you said and passed smile

Got one minor because I wasn't sure what the speed limit was on one particular road and so sat at 40 instead of the NSL. I thought it better going too slow than too fast until I could be sure!

It's a great feeling to have finally done the test and to have the full licence. Now it's time to learn!

TheSpaceCowboy

36 posts

66 months

[news] 
Sunday 8th May 2011 quote quote all
Nice one mate smile In time to enjoy the amazing summer we are (hopefully) going to have!

Ragtag

8 posts

42 months

[news] 
Tuesday 10th May 2011 quote quote all
About to take your test??
See my entry HERE.... in tother thread.. about the new DSA clothing rules!!

Rags.

byt

284 posts

42 months

[news] 
Saturday 13th August 2011 quote quote all
recently took my test on a 125, mod 1 passed with 1 minor as it was damp and I wasn't to sure about going around the corner at a high speed and the poor little 125 chinese special wasn't super quick to get up to speed and on the e/stop I managed only 49kph, haz/avoid I managed a better courner and hit 52kph.

mod 2 passed without fault (well chuffed)

all the above wasn't helped by being a long term car driver having learnt many bad habbits. being a short arse I opted for the 125 as I only plan on getting a scooter (currently searching for a 400 burgman)for local trips, no world tours planned yet. I'm, really glad I took the training with Craft motorctycle training as it was obvious I needed pointing in the right direction with my riding and Mark was a great instructor that never lost his cool no matter how badly I rode. I enjoyed the learning and think I learnt lots, he's pationate about riders safty and not just getting you through the test.

biggest laugh was during mod 1 practice, as said I was a little nervous of the speed on the corner and another instructor from a different school offered to show me how fast it could be done (bit of a nutter) on his first trip around he managed just 56kph which was enough but hardly impressive for an instructor so he tried again, resulting in him catching the peg on the tarmac and sending the bike along the course on it's side, we laughed and luckily niether he or the bike suffered any real damage but it went to prove that the chinese bikes don't go round corners that well wobble


Basher

998 posts

170 months

[news] 
Friday 19th August 2011 quote quote all
Thansk for this about to go through the whole process in september from CBT to DAS2 ... alrady ahve a bike sitting in the garage so gagging to get it right first time !

Big-Bird

23 posts

96 months

[news] 
Monday 17th October 2011 quote quote all
Passed my Mod 1 today- first attempt and no errors!! Delighted!!

Slight amendment to the op's right-up- the slow ride is done alone now. You no longer ride behind the examiner but he watches from the side. It's at his descretion if you are too slow/ too fast.

Great review though, and most helpful, thank you.

Mike600F

1,016 posts

42 months

[news] 
Thursday 12th January 2012 quote quote all
Properly good advice. Top Job.

Just getting over the nerves is the hardest thing about it, mainly because if you kack it up, you have to wait so long to get a re-test.

Had major issues with the radio for my part two - was really hissy and has an instructor with a really strong Irish accent which didn't help things. - got lost several times and scored no minors for doing so- after the ride the instructor and I had a good laugh about it.

Note: they like to make you think you've failed just before they tell you you've passed - I got the:

"did you not see the van backing out then!?" *massive ohnosecond here*
"um....No...Sorry"
"that's because there wasn't one.... Congratulations!"

shortly followed by my instructor adding "now lets ride home in the spirit of the law". without a radio too, which make you feel very alone the first time. . .

MonkeyBusiness

2,869 posts

73 months

[news] 
Wednesday 11th April 2012 quote quote all
Took my module one test today. And failed. Gutted is not the word.

The test isn't hard. Get over any nerves and the battle is almost won. I failed on the last test - hazard perception - 30mph through some cones, small swerve, jobs a good 'un. I didn't come to a stop in line with the cones. This was literally the last turn of the wheel.

Everything else was perfect.
Absolutely gutted. Re-booked for later this month.

MonkeyBusiness

2,869 posts

73 months

[news] 
Friday 27th April 2012 quote quote all
Yeeeeeeeeehah! Mod 1 aced this morning. Even more satisfying as it was cold and very wet.

So very happy today. As mentioned above, it isn't hard. Take one of the modules at a time, LISTEN to what the examiner is saying and I found it reassuring to confirm back to him what he has said.

Whilst I wouldn't recommend it, I found it comforting that having failed once, I knew what to expect. If you are near a test centre, it is worth going down and watching the tests in action.

3 down 1 to go. Module 2 of the test has been booked

SHutchinson

516 posts

70 months

[news] 
Thursday 3rd May 2012 quote quote all
I passed the Mod1 test this morning. Luckily I had a 30 mins 'warmup' lesson beforehand with a different instructor. When I was practising the pushing the bike manoeuvre I was only doing a standard head check, I don't remember being taught anything different and my instructor hadn't noticed I was doing it incorrectly. Anyway, the new instructor explained that would be a fail as the manoeuvre requires a head check of both up and down the 'road' that you are pushing the bike into. He explained that it's best to imagine that you're pushing the bike out of a supermarket parking bay and you need to check for cars from both directions, rather than just look straight down the road in the direction you're going to push the bike.

Nett result, test passed, 0 faults. Booking Mod2 now.

MonkeyBusiness

2,869 posts

73 months

[news] 
Thursday 3rd May 2012 quote quote all
SHutchinson said:
I passed the Mod1 test this morning. Luckily I had a 30 mins 'warmup' lesson beforehand with a different instructor. When I was practising the pushing the bike manoeuvre I was only doing a standard head check, I don't remember being taught anything different and my instructor hadn't noticed I was doing it incorrectly. Anyway, the new instructor explained that would be a fail as the manoeuvre requires a head check of both up and down the 'road' that you are pushing the bike into. He explained that it's best to imagine that you're pushing the bike out of a supermarket parking bay and you need to check for cars from both directions, rather than just look straight down the road in the direction you're going to push the bike.

Nett result, test passed, 0 faults. Booking Mod2 now.
Well done. I found it easier to park the bike in the first (nearest) bay and move the bike in one movement - like a horseshoe.

SHutchinson

516 posts

70 months

[news] 
Thursday 3rd May 2012 quote quote all
MonkeyBusiness said:
Well done. I found it easier to park the bike in the first (nearest) bay and move the bike in one movement - like a horseshoe.
Yeah that's how I did it. It's how the examiner explained it too. The plus side is that you can then just ride straight out of the box and on to the slalom.
1 2 3 4
6
Reply to Topic