Has anyone out there fitted an Emerald K3 ECU and system to a Supercharged RV8 Chim. I would like to see the wiring layout and where you positioned the coil packs etc. I will be fitting the the trigger wheel and sensor system.
Any photos and advice would be welcome.
Right, finally home and sorted! Here's some thoughts of things that might be useful:
- Trigger wheel/hall sensor: There are lots of different ways of doing it. I personally went for the 36-1 trigger wheel and sensor from Triggerwheels.co.uk and fitted it to the back of the crank pulley assembly, replacing the back plate. To do this, you need to have the crank pulley assembly removed and its balance checked and recorded. You then remove the back plate and fit the trigger wheel with some new nuts (loctited), and have the new assembly balanced to the same values as before. I then fabricated a hall sensor bracket which bolts to the timing cover (right hand side).
- Coil packs: I went for the Ford type coil packs as they're cheap, easy to get hold of, and are well known for being very reliable. I've never had a problem with them, and use leads from performanceleads.co.uk which again have worked out great. They do custom length leads with whatever ends you need on for a very good price.
- Wiring: I bought a part built loom from Emerald. This is basically an ECU plug with all of the wires you need pre-installed at the ECU end, with around 2m of wire off each pin. I used partly Steve Heath's book and partly a multimeter to work out what all of the old wires did, then for all of the sensors I simply cut the wire at the sensor end and pull it through to the cabin. Once I'd Identified which wires I could bin, and which I could retain I then set about pulling the new loom wires through the bulkhead and roughly ran them to each sensor location and cut them to length. I then wrapped it all in loom tape and fitted it properly before trimming the final lengths and adding the plugs.
I have since ended up chopping and changing bit to add a couple of sensors so I would advise caution when in the planning stage! I haven't got any good photos of the loom construction, but feel free to email me or give me a call (pm if you want my number) if theres anything I can help you with.
While you're at it, I'd also definitely recommend replacing the meta alarm system. I went with an Autowatch 457 from Abacus which helped get rid of a load more wiring, and gave me a more modern Cat 1 alarm with boot popper.
Misc: If you're running a charger, I would recommend also fitting a MAP sensor for pressure compnsation, though still use TPS to control your maps. I also wired in an EGT sensor though don't think I've ever really looked at it so that's perhaps overboard. I originally wired my wideband lambda up to the Emerald as well to run in closed loop fueling mode, though I found it pretty clunky so I've ended up running in open loop all of the time as it seems to give a smoother ride once set up correctly.
Here's a quick photo of my engine bay at the moment. It's stored at my parents house at the moment so if you want any other pictures etc let me know and I can get them at the weekend. PLease excuse the messy engine bay! Need some new intake heat sheilding, and new brackets for the catch tank as they keep failing from metal fatigue!