Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1
3 4 ... 7 8
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

stu harris

436 posts

127 months

[news] 
Sunday 29th July 2012 quote quote all
We ve a Puma 90 XS.
Raise the seat, Momo wheel, leather strap door pulls....that's the driving position sorted.
Noise killer engine blanket, that's dulled the ditch pump in the front.
Decent stereo and 4x decent speakers will at least enable you to listen to some tunes/news etc.
Play with the tyres pressures to get rid of a bit of the bounce ( we've fitted bilsteins all round to improve further).

Job done. Wife drives it daily, never complains on the gear change...hates the handbrake location tho.

Stu

camel_landy

2,150 posts

69 months

[news] 
Sunday 29th July 2012 quote quote all
stu harris said:
Job done. Wife drives it daily, never complains on the gear change...hates the handbrake location tho.
Don't bother using the hand brake...

Use the anti-stall for hill starts instead. wink

M

Denis O

1,564 posts

129 months

[news] 
Monday 30th July 2012 quote quote all
stu harris said:
We ve a Puma 90 XS.
Raise the seat, Momo wheel, leather strap door pulls....that's the driving position sorted.
Noise killer engine blanket, that's dulled the ditch pump in the front.
Decent stereo and 4x decent speakers will at least enable you to listen to some tunes/news etc.
Play with the tyres pressures to get rid of a bit of the bounce ( we've fitted bilsteins all round to improve further).

Job done. Wife drives it daily, never complains on the gear change...hates the handbrake location tho.

Stu
All you need now is a slush box conversion and you've got the perfect 90.

Oh, and this will sort the handbrake

http://www.reedx.net/landrover/mods/handbrake/inde...

Lefty

13,667 posts

88 months

[news] 
Monday 30th July 2012 quote quote all
Davel said:
So, to those of you who do use one daily, do you get aches from the constant gear changes?

Am I trying too shift to quickly, should I pause mid change?

Really still very tempted.
What you need is a nice stage 2 remap, intercooler, egr blank and decat from twisted or JE. Who needs gears?!

Seriously, I don't find myself getting arm-ache at all.


Lefty

13,667 posts

88 months

[news] 
Monday 30th July 2012 quote quote all
stu harris said:
We ve a Puma 90 XS.
Raise the seat, Momo wheel, leather strap door pulls....that's the driving position sorted.
Noise killer engine blanket, that's dulled the ditch pump in the front.
Decent stereo and 4x decent speakers will at least enable you to listen to some tunes/news etc.
Play with the tyres pressures to get rid of a bit of the bounce ( we've fitted bilsteins all round to improve further).

Job done. Wife drives it daily, never complains on the gear change...hates the handbrake location tho.

Stu
Leather strap door pulls? That's a great idea, the plastic ones are are a total pain in the arse leg. Where did you get em?
Advertisement

stu harris

436 posts

127 months

[news] 
Monday 30th July 2012 quote quote all
Lefty said:
Leather strap door pulls? That's a great idea, the plastic ones are are a total pain in the arse leg. Where did you get em?
These ones

www.nakatanenga-tours.de/shop/article_TGLEZ/T%C3%B...

You can get them from Brendan at 4x4 Overlander www.4x4overlander.com


Stu

Lefty

13,667 posts

88 months

[news] 
Monday 30th July 2012 quote quote all
Cheers!

300bhp/ton

29,629 posts

76 months

[news] 
Monday 30th July 2012 quote quote all
Davel said:
So, to those of you who do use one daily, do you get aches from the constant gear changes?

Am I trying too shift to quickly, should I pause mid change?

Really still very tempted.
Erm have you not driven any other manual cars?? laugh

Tis no different really.

Davel

Original Poster:

7,644 posts

144 months

[news] 
Monday 30th July 2012 quote quote all
Yep loads but only found this an issue with this car and, a few years ago a C4S.

It's not my wking arm, so probably doesn't get much exercise.

Lefty

13,667 posts

88 months

[news] 
Monday 30th July 2012 quote quote all
stu harris said:
Lefty said:
Leather strap door pulls? That's a great idea, the plastic ones are are a total pain in the arse leg. Where did you get em?
These ones

www.nakatanenga-tours.de/shop/article_TGLEZ/T%C3%B...

You can get them from Brendan at 4x4 Overlander www.4x4overlander.com


Stu
Order placed smile

Psimpson7

903 posts

127 months

[news] 
Tuesday 31st July 2012 quote quote all
Davel said:
So, to those of you who do use one daily, do you get aches from the constant gear changes?

Am I trying too shift to quickly, should I pause mid change?

Really still very tempted.
Assuming you are looking at TD5's still the R380 gearboxes all seem to have totally different shift feels...

They are so varied... I have 2 here, one in a 2001 TD5 90, and one in a 2003 V8 Disco 2A.

The box in the 90 feels fantastic, despite getting used very hard, including a broken layshaft. The Discovery one however is horrible by comparison, and a real chore in heavy traffic.

They both run Castrol Syntrans manual gear oil so it's not an oil issue.

80k miles on the Defender and about 75k on the Disco.

Both have been rebuilt aswell! 90 due to the damage, and the Disco got a bearing noise at about 35k miles

300bhp/ton

29,629 posts

76 months

[news] 
Tuesday 31st July 2012 quote quote all
Disco and Defender have different gear linkages, maybe that's the cause of it?

Davel

Original Poster:

7,644 posts

144 months

[news] 
Tuesday 31st July 2012 quote quote all
Looking at a 2010 60 plate with 2.4 engine, 13,000 miles - or a 2012 12 plate with the 2.2 engine, 800 miles.

What is the difference driving wise between the two engines - is it noticeable?

stu harris

436 posts

127 months

[news] 
Tuesday 31st July 2012 quote quote all
Davel said:
Looking at a 2010 60 plate with 2.4 engine, 13,000 miles - or a 2012 12 plate with the 2.2 engine, 800 miles.

What is the difference driving wise between the two engines - is it noticeable?
The 2.2 is quieter and punchier low down. But it runs a DPF with all the inherent issues of DPF ownership. LR say they've tested it extensively and it goes into a regeneration cycle earlier but only time will tell. So if you're only doing short journeys then best avoid them.

You also get a a piece of plastic string connecting the fuel filler cap to the filler area. Which is nice.

Stu

biglump

340 posts

135 months

[news] 
Tuesday 31st July 2012 quote quote all
I test drove the 2.2 and found it to be better than all previous Defenders, but still most definately a Defender! Let's face it, you don't expect it to be the last word in comfort, speed or handling, but there's nothing else like them still being made.

Anyway, didn't put me off, ordered an 110XS Utility as there are a few tax breaks etc putting through the company. 4 month waiting list!!! Due in October.

budrover

280 posts

90 months

[news] 
Tuesday 31st July 2012 quote quote all
Davel said:
So, to those of you who do use one daily, do you get aches from the constant gear changes?

Am I trying too shift to quickly, should I pause mid change?

Really still very tempted.
Driving a defender has to be a leisurely affair, the previous gearbox's LT77 & R380 never liked a quick change and sychros on 2nd and 3rd were weak... so most people enjoy the 'drive' .... having to take your time with shifts and planning what gear to be in....but still being able to get a bit of a 'hurry on'.

I drive 17 miles to work ....some days in TDV8 Range Rover and some days in my days a 200 tdi 90 ...or a 2ltr 86inch series 1 ....each has its own little quirks and I enjoy being able to drive them ... the RR is like a milk float ...press one pedal ...active cruise control..forward alert ..suprised it doesnt steer itself ... lovely ride but not a drivers car.

If you want a defender with easy modern drivability ...get an auto box fitted.

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?...

Robbo66

2,236 posts

119 months

[news] 
Wednesday 1st August 2012 quote quote all
I use my 90xs as a daily, 20-30 miles per day. As another stated, universally loved and totally classless. Fantastic. Off to France in it shortly, the antithesis to the Evoque (man bag). Wife loves it too. Do it.

Davel

Original Poster:

7,644 posts

144 months

[news] 
Wednesday 1st August 2012 quote quote all
Thanks all!

Off to sort one now......

Lefty

13,667 posts

88 months

[news] 
Wednesday 1st August 2012 quote quote all
Davel said:
Thanks all!

Off to sort one now......
Nice one! TDCI?

Psimpson7

903 posts

127 months

[news] 
Thursday 2nd August 2012 quote quote all
300bhp/ton said:
Disco and Defender have different gear linkages, maybe that's the cause of it?
No I don't think so. I have driven dozens, and some are really nice and some aren't. Its not speicfic to the linkage type, I just used the 2 I currently have at the moment for my example.
1
3 4 ... 7 8
Reply to Topic