Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2 3 ... 9 10
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Switch

Original Poster:

3,363 posts

61 months

[news] 
Monday 12th September 2011 quote quote all
Alright guys. Who's got the fastest internet?

I think we can all agree that Speedtest.net is the best metric for this.

Let's be having your answers (when you get the result there's a Share this result button at the top, hit that then Forum tab and you get a code you can paste in here to show your phat pipe(ooo err missus))

Just to get us started

Over to you....

Addendum: Work internet is ok, I just want to know who's got access to the best pipe biggrin

GlenMH

4,184 posts

129 months

[news] 
Monday 12th September 2011 quote quote all
You had better ban Jamie Beeston from this thread wink

Stefluc

242 posts

95 months

[news] 
Monday 12th September 2011 quote quote all
Here have a laugh at this

Lefty

13,667 posts

88 months

[news] 
Monday 12th September 2011 quote quote all
Stefluc said:
Here have a laugh at this
Your bandwidth is about the same as mine at home but my ping is 0.9ms irked

ChiChoAndy

73,668 posts

141 months

[news] 
Monday 12th September 2011 quote quote all


Or





Depending on when I did the test. Always seems to add up to 91 (ish) adding the 2.
Advertisement

Stefluc

242 posts

95 months

[news] 
Monday 12th September 2011 quote quote all
If I want to send a couple of photos in an e-mail I have to send them seperately a day apart

bob1179

13,735 posts

95 months

[news] 
Monday 12th September 2011 quote quote all
Download: 14.68 Mbps

Upload: 9.30 Mbps

Is this good? I'm far away in a foreign land if it makes any difference.

smile

itsnotarace

4,149 posts

95 months

[news] 
Monday 12th September 2011 quote quote all


Upload is a bit slow this afternoon, but it is mid-afternoon

ChiChoAndy said:
Depending on when I did the test. Always seems to add up to 91 (ish) adding the 2.
The tests aren't run concurrently so the overall total is not relevant

ChiChoAndy

73,668 posts

141 months

[news] 
Monday 12th September 2011 quote quote all
itsnotarace said:
The tests aren't run concurrently so the overall total is not relevant
Just an observation.

GlenMH

4,184 posts

129 months

[news] 
Monday 12th September 2011 quote quote all

That is all the way to Okinawa. No servers hosted in Tokyo... It should be 40+Mb both ways.

Stu R

20,819 posts

101 months

[news] 
Monday 12th September 2011 quote quote all
Wouldn't mind being at Google HQ!


ChiChoAndy

73,668 posts

141 months

[news] 
Monday 12th September 2011 quote quote all
Stu R said:
Wouldn't mind being at Google HQ!

Looks quite adequate.

Puggit

33,340 posts

134 months

[news] 
Monday 12th September 2011 quote quote all


Recently moved from Virgin where it could be anything from 0.1 to 5 Mbs - so very happy with BT and can't wait for infinity!

nocarjames

1,531 posts

44 months

[news] 
Monday 12th September 2011 quote quote all
not bad for the shared connection at work.


Accelebrate

3,357 posts

101 months

[news] 
Monday 12th September 2011 quote quote all


No complaints for the price.

Lefty

13,667 posts

88 months

[news] 
Monday 12th September 2011 quote quote all
Quick question...

My ping is, say, 0.85ms. Now, I understand that to be 0.00085 seconds? Taking the speed of light as 3x10^8m/s that means the distance to exchange is 300,000,000 x 0.00085 = 255km.

My exchange is 5km away. What am I doing wrong? bangheadshootgrumpy

ChiChoAndy

73,668 posts

141 months

[news] 
Monday 12th September 2011 quote quote all
You have all the different nodes to go throughh on that journey as well, remember.

Thom987

3,185 posts

52 months

[news] 
Monday 12th September 2011 quote quote all

Switch

Original Poster:

3,363 posts

61 months

[news] 
Monday 12th September 2011 quote quote all
Lefty said:
Quick question...

My ping is, say, 0.85ms. Now, I understand that to be 0.00085 seconds? Taking the speed of light as 3x10^8m/s that means the distance to exchange is 300,000,000 x 0.00085 = 255km.

My exchange is 5km away. What am I doing wrong? bangheadshootgrumpy
It's the distance to the server in question. and back again.

mondeoman

7,781 posts

152 months

[news] 
Monday 12th September 2011 quote quote all
Switch said:
Lefty said:
Quick question...

My ping is, say, 0.85ms. Now, I understand that to be 0.00085 seconds? Taking the speed of light as 3x10^8m/s that means the distance to exchange is 300,000,000 x 0.00085 = 255km.

My exchange is 5km away. What am I doing wrong? bangheadshootgrumpy
It's the distance to the server in question. and back again.
Not all bytes travel at the same speed (just like cars on the motorway), so when your "32 byte ping train" gets to a hub or a switch the front byte has to wait for the back byte to catch up, hence the delay beyond what you'd expect from the maths.



2 3 ... 9 10
Reply to Topic