Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1 2 ... 43 44
46 47 ... 116 117
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

onlynik

2,999 posts

79 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
Just bought one to replace my broken Nexus, and I'm really disappointed with it.

The Samsung ste on top of Android has ruined it. HTC sense was OK, but I liked my Nexus and the way it was set up, I liked that I could have a normal ring tone.

Hopefully someone will find a way of putting the Nexus JB rom on to an S3, so I can have a nice phone with no fluffy ste.

Kermit power

16,870 posts

99 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
onlynik said:
Just bought one to replace my broken Nexus, and I'm really disappointed with it.

The Samsung ste on top of Android has ruined it. HTC sense was OK, but I liked my Nexus and the way it was set up, I liked that I could have a normal ring tone.

Hopefully someone will find a way of putting the Nexus JB rom on to an S3, so I can have a nice phone with no fluffy ste.
What is the fluffy ste?

I've gone from a Vodafone HTC Sensation to a direct purchase S3, so I've just been delighted at the lack of horrible Vodafone bloatware.

I don't suppose that Vodafone are any worse than any other network, but what sort of things do Samsung make me suffer that a clean Android would not?

Crafty_

7,862 posts

86 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
he means touchwizz.

To a point I can understand, Samsung do add a bunch of apps that I don't ever use, but just disable them and forget about it.

On the other hand TW adds a whole bunch of functionality I find useful, for example adding a app/widget to a homescreen is pretty easy, on my nexus 7 I find it slower to do and quite frankly wonder why it doesn't work like TW. Gesture control stuff in TW useful also.

You can put a plain ROM on the phone if you want to, go look on XDA, someone there will of done it I'm sure.

If you think TW is bad try Sense on ICS, just horrible imho.

At the end of the day if you want plain android only the Nexus phones are going to satisfy you.

Johnny

6,642 posts

170 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
Kermit power said:
Apparently there's a button on the side which mutes it, but this automatically turns on vibrate as well, so it still kept buzzing annoyingly in meetings
I'd politely tell him to learn how to use his phone TBH.

Turning off vibrate when on silent is fairly easy wink

onlynik

2,999 posts

79 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
Kermit power said:
What is the fluffy ste?

I've gone from a Vodafone HTC Sensation to a direct purchase S3, so I've just been delighted at the lack of horrible Vodafone bloatware.

I don't suppose that Vodafone are any worse than any other network, but what sort of things do Samsung make me suffer that a clean Android would not?
I buy sim free phones, so I never get teh operator installs, however, Samsung have taken it upon themselves to install their own software

S update
S Planner
S memo
Chat on
S Suggest.

Plus the oppurtunity to setup a Samsung account when I switch the phone on. No thanks, I've got a google account which holds all the info I need.

Seriously a horrible amount of nasty apps on the phone.


Advertisement

Crafty_

7,862 posts

86 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
As per my previous post..

Can't help but think you are going a bit over the top at five, small apps ?
just disable them and forget all about it.

wiffmaster

2,300 posts

84 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
onlynik said:
Just bought one to replace my broken Nexus, and I'm really disappointed with it.

The Samsung ste on top of Android has ruined it. HTC sense was OK, but I liked my Nexus and the way it was set up, I liked that I could have a normal ring tone.

Hopefully someone will find a way of putting the Nexus JB rom on to an S3, so I can have a nice phone with no fluffy ste.
Easy to fix.

Install Nova Launcher to get rid of the ugly Touchwiz. Use Home Manager to switch between Touchwiz and Nova.

Nova Launcher gives it a much more stock feel, yet is still very customisable. It takes all the nice pretty bits of stock Android, gets rid of all the crap from Touchwiz and then allows you to customise it until it's perfect.

The worst thing Samsung did was get rid of the wonderful stock calandar and replace it with the abortion that is 'S-Planner'. Thankfully, this will solve all your problems.

Some screenshots showing how much nicer it can look when you've done the above...












onlynik

2,999 posts

79 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
wiffmaster said:
Easy to fix.
Thanks, will look at that when I've time.

Kermit power

16,870 posts

99 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
onlynik said:
Kermit power said:
What is the fluffy ste?

I've gone from a Vodafone HTC Sensation to a direct purchase S3, so I've just been delighted at the lack of horrible Vodafone bloatware.

I don't suppose that Vodafone are any worse than any other network, but what sort of things do Samsung make me suffer that a clean Android would not?
I buy sim free phones, so I never get teh operator installs, however, Samsung have taken it upon themselves to install their own software

S update
S Planner
S memo
Chat on
S Suggest.

Plus the oppurtunity to setup a Samsung account when I switch the phone on. No thanks, I've got a google account which holds all the info I need.

Seriously a horrible amount of nasty apps on the phone.
Blimey. I didn't even know I had those things on my phone! I've just checked, and I do, although I've never even noticed them, let alone used them or have them foist themselves upon me.

It seems a little "Princess and the pea" to get wound up by it?

onlynik

2,999 posts

79 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
Kermit power said:
Blimey. I didn't even know I had those things on my phone! I've just checked, and I do, although I've never even noticed them, let alone used them or have them foist themselves upon me.

It seems a little "Princess and the pea" to get wound up by it?


Not really, I've used android for many years now, and have a stock bunch of apps I like, and like to use, there are other things too, touchwiz just isn't nice. I really don't like the UI, I don't like the different helpful tips that bug me and I have to click on them individually to stop coming up.

I don't like that Jelly Bean isn't officially released.

But most of all I'm annoyed with myself for not researching enough to find out all this before hand, I'm probably just going to get my Galaxy Nexus fixed so I can have a usable phone again.

Jaldi

908 posts

121 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
onlynik said:
Hopefully someone will find a way of putting the Nexus JB rom on to an S3, so I can have a nice phone with no fluffy ste.
I thought like that at first. I really didn't like TouchWiz and the extra included apps.

I reckon the CM10 (Jellybean) and CM9 (ICS) ROMs should be right up ypur street mate:
CyanogenMod 10

Or, as mentioned above, you can easily and quickly ditch TouchWiz with a different launcher, eg NovaLauncher.

Personally, I've gotten used to TouchWiz now although I still like CM10 a lot.

Oh, and it's very simple to remove any Samsung apps that you don't like. Any that don't want to be uninstalled can be gotten rid of with Titanium Backup

Edited by Jaldi on Wednesday 26th September 21:23

Crafty_

7,862 posts

86 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
Samsung JB update will be very soon.. check here every once and a while: http://www.sammobile.com/

Kermit power

16,870 posts

99 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
onlynik said:
I don't like the different helpful tips that bug me and I have to click on them individually to stop coming up.
I think you've got a different build to me or something. The only place I've had "helpful tips" is in the camera.

onlynik

2,999 posts

79 months

[news] 
Thursday 27th September 2012 quote quote all
Thanks to everyone who has put up with my moaning and suugested fixes for it. I'll have a look at it over the next few days. I'm also likeing the phone more now. Maybe I'm just not good with change smile

Targarama

13,458 posts

169 months

[news] 
Friday 28th September 2012 quote quote all
Anyone found a decent 4x1 weather widget? I like the generic Samsung widget which comes on the home page, but I want it to be smaller.

alfa145uk

334 posts

126 months

[news] 
Friday 28th September 2012 quote quote all
Try snowstorm

JM

2,176 posts

92 months

[news] 
Friday 28th September 2012 quote quote all
Kermit power said:
I showed him my S3. Hold down the power button to bring up the choice of silent, vibrate or ring and you're done. He was amazed!
Or just hold down the volume adjusting button to turn volume all the way down when it gets to the bottom is is on vibrate only, touch it again a it's totally silent and vibrate off.
Or swipe down the top info bar and tap the sound/vibrate/mute icon twice.


Jabbah

898 posts

40 months

[news] 
Friday 28th September 2012 quote quote all
Jaldi said:
I reckon the CM10 (Jellybean) and CM9 (ICS) ROMs should be right up ypur street mate:
CyanogenMod 10
Also you don't need to root your S3 to install new ROMs unlike most other handsets. Would highly recommend CM9.

Kermit power

16,870 posts

99 months

[news] 
Friday 28th September 2012 quote quote all
Jabbah said:
Also you don't need to root your S3 to install new ROMs unlike most other handsets. Would highly recommend CM9.
Oooh! That's interesting!

Our corporate security policy says, pretty much word for word, "root/jailbreak your phone and you will be sacked". It says nothing about changing the ROM without rooting it! smile

Nicko_12345

947 posts

86 months

[news] 
Friday 28th September 2012 quote quote all
Kermit power said:
Oooh! That's interesting!

Our corporate security policy says, pretty much word for word, "root/jailbreak your phone and you will be sacked". It says nothing about changing the ROM without rooting it! smile
Would you like to try and explain that to them though if it did get mentioned?

1 2 ... 43 44
46 47 ... 116 117
Reply to Topic