Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1 2 ... 31 32
34 35 36 37
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

AreOut

923 posts

45 months

[news] 
Friday 14th September 2012 quote quote all
Deluded said:
Sorry but you forgot to mention that the 808 also comes with possibly the worst phone OS ever invented. Possibly the biggest mistake Nokia have ever made and what is likely to have put them in the situation they are currently in.

Lets build a fantastic phone with some amazing hardware that will blow every other phone out of the water... I know, lets stick this really st, relic of an OS on it that has no 3rd party support and no one likes as people will be so wowed by the tech, they will over look the OS... fk off.

They will never learn.

actually that "relic of an OS" is the only capable of running a huge camera with xenon (which needs RT OS like Symbian, WP8/Android/iOS are far from it) + stereo rich recording

and Belle with FP2 update is amazingly fast and good, also Skype works (without video calls though which is a non-issue for majority of people)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbFKsLArh9I&fea...

we all know that elop is on a mission of devaluing Nokia so ms could buy it as cheap as possible and 808 is not advertised anywhere + there are no contracts with carriers, but that doesn't change the fact that 808 is the best phone today for anyone that uses camera on his phone (and that's many people)

MarkRSi

4,213 posts

102 months

[news] 
Saturday 26th January 2013 quote quote all
Not sure HTC would agree...

Balmoral

30,020 posts

132 months

[news] 
Saturday 26th January 2013 quote quote all
920 seems to be making up lost ground pretty fast.

CommanderJameson

22,096 posts

110 months

[news] 
Saturday 26th January 2013 quote quote all
Balmoral said:
920 seems to be making up lost ground pretty fast.
I've got one. It's excellent.

Balmoral

30,020 posts

132 months

[news] 
Saturday 26th January 2013 quote quote all
I seem to be following your purchase patterns, from watches to phones biggrin
Advertisement

Regiment

2,157 posts

43 months

[news] 
Saturday 26th January 2013 quote quote all
Pr1964 said:
Samsung profits soaring 76%


Nokia why didn't you just go with android you fools .....
The first and the second have no bearing on each other, look at HTC. People are talking about Nokia and the Lumia line because its using the best mobile OS and the phones are fantastic phones, even compared to the IPhone and the S3.

bishbash

2,426 posts

81 months

[news] 
Saturday 26th January 2013 quote quote all
I have a feeling the Lumia 620 could be the phone to bring Nokia someway back to former glory, in fact I'm thinking of getting one myself. I, like many others, am getting a bit bored of Android and fancy something different.

jammy_basturd

10,751 posts

96 months

[news] 
Sunday 27th January 2013 quote quote all
Pr1964 said:
They've lost the race and will never regain thier market share all due to a failure to diversify thier product line by introducing android handsets with both touch keyboards they would like htc also have been able to go win 8 but crucially they could have saved the loss of millions of nokia users who were left out in the cold.
I wouldn't be so sure. Apple were well out of the game 15 years ago.

MarkRSi

4,213 posts

102 months

[news] 
Sunday 27th January 2013 quote quote all
Pr1964 said:
The difference is *some hypothetical bullst - let's face it if they adopted android you'd still be bhing that they should have adopted Windows phone instead or gone back to making paper or something*

All the lumia products I've seen fail on either build quality or battery life or both.
Obviously you haven't tried a Lumia 710 - superior battery life and build quality is at least as good as my Motorola Atrix and superior to my very cheap ZTE Blade, despite being the same price as the latter.

The only downside is a the lack of a gazillion apps, but the core phone itself is nicer to use. And the camera is excellent.

I'm seriously tempted by a Windows 8 Nokia as my next phone.

Balmoral

30,020 posts

132 months

[news] 
Sunday 27th January 2013 quote quote all
Pr1964 said:
never
Too big a word for this topic.

Time spans of 5-10-15 years see huge changes.


lestag

4,525 posts

160 months

[news] 
Tuesday 29th January 2013 quote quote all
MarkRSi said:
The only downside is a the lack of a gazillion apps, but the core phone itself is nicer to use.
I have a 800 and use it for email, calandar, Nokia drive mainly, oh and as a phone!. I don't need the gazillion smile

CommanderJameson

22,096 posts

110 months

[news] 
Tuesday 29th January 2013 quote quote all
Pr1964 said:
Apps FFS as if they matter to anyone who's over 14

The reviews all go on and on about a lack of f-ing apps.
Apps are important to a great many users. You need to get over this. Your own particular use case is not necessarily representative of the wider population of users. You need to understand this.

Pr1964 said:
But how many ever say the battery life is rubbish
or the phone is laggy in use none ..

The phone industy is one of the few where the core use is going backwards ...


ie for making calls most of these smart phones are poor at best ..
The voice quality on my 920 is the best I've ever heard.

Call management is excellent, too.

And laggy? Ha! Not a bit!

Face it, chap. You're talking pony about a subject you seem to know little about, mainly because you're extrapolating your wants and needs to some mythical cohort of users who are all just like you.

jammy_basturd

10,751 posts

96 months

[news] 
Tuesday 29th January 2013 quote quote all
Amazing. I had one and the battery lasted for 3 weeks, despite me using the camera all the time and taking several phone calls that lasted over 6 hours each.

ZesPak

13,904 posts

80 months

[news] 
Tuesday 29th January 2013 quote quote all
jammy_basturd said:
Amazing. I had one and the battery lasted for 3 weeks, despite me using the camera all the time and taking several phone calls that lasted over 6 hours each.

mondeoman

7,738 posts

150 months

[news] 
Tuesday 29th January 2013 quote quote all
jammy_basturd said:
Amazing. I had one and the battery lasted for 3 weeks, despite me using the camera all the time and taking several phone calls that lasted over 6 hours each.
smile niiiice!!

bodhi

2,813 posts

113 months

[news] 
Tuesday 29th January 2013 quote quote all
Pr1964 said:
The difference is htc didn't have a billion users to convert Nokia did.

They've lost the race and will never regain thier market share all due to a failure to diversify thier product line by introducing android handsets with both touch keyboards they would like htc also have been able to go win 8 but crucially they could have saved the loss of millions of nokia users who were left out in the cold.


Can't know for sure but IMO Nokia would have been a dominant player with excellent profits if it had gone android.


Now win8 isn't going to be thier saviour and the killing off of means they may as well use every OS there is to try and sell hardware hardware which would be up to the old robust Nokia standards.

All the lumia products I've seen fail on either build quality or battery life or both.
Robust? I think you are suffering from the old rose-tinted specs there, Nokia software used to be anything but robust. OK the feature phones were pretty solid, but the N-Series? You're having a laugh aren't you? I worked for Vodafone around the time the N-Series were the big thing, and software wise, they were shocking. The N73, N82, N95, all full of bugs on release, only improving after about a gazillion updates from Nokia. Our customer care department used to be inundated with N73 owners wondering why the phones were randomly bricking themselves, and N95 owners wondering if the battery life was supposed to be JUST that bad.

Working in Sales at the time, I got a pretty good idea of why Nokia were so popular, and it was for one simple reason - people understood the menus and knew how to use them. The arrival of the simple to use iPhone effectively removed Nokia's USP, as it was even easier to use. After that Nokia went into freefall, as people could have a smartphone that was easy to use, didn't crash all the time like an N-Series, had similar battery life (far superior in the case of the N95) and better build. Nokia failed to see this coming which is why they are where they are.

I say all this as a previous Nokia fan, although I did switch to SonyEricsson when the T610 came out. I have been with SE ever since.

budgie smuggler

1,348 posts

43 months

[news] 
Tuesday 29th January 2013 quote quote all
AreOut said:
Deluded said:
Sorry but you forgot to mention that the 808 also comes with possibly the worst phone OS ever invented. Possibly the biggest mistake Nokia have ever made and what is likely to have put them in the situation they are currently in.

Lets build a fantastic phone with some amazing hardware that will blow every other phone out of the water... I know, lets stick this really st, relic of an OS on it that has no 3rd party support and no one likes as people will be so wowed by the tech, they will over look the OS... fk off.

They will never learn.

actually that "relic of an OS" is the only capable of running a huge camera with xenon (which needs RT OS like Symbian, WP8/Android/iOS are far from it) + stereo rich recording
If hard RT really is needed, you could feasibly use the RTLinux kernel patch and Android userland.
Of course the userland would remain non-RT, but you could do the RT work in a separate RT thread.

It would need some work (I suspect that the RT sched would break the power management at least due to interrupts from the RT kernel) but I think it could be done fairly easily by a big company like Nokia.

In any case, soft real-time is already integrated into the kernel (see sched_setscheduler()), and I would suspect that would be sufficient for this task - it's not like somebody will die if a frame gets dropped.

SWoll

4,911 posts

142 months

[news] 
Tuesday 29th January 2013 quote quote all
Pr1964 said:
Maybe I'll look at a 920.

Whats the battery life like ?
Pretty average for a smartphone.

What's the MPG like in your 330i BTW? I hear diesel hatchbacks will do 50MPG + so wouldn't you be better of with one of those rather than having to fill up so regularly? I know they come with non of the prestige, extras, peformance or other things that the BMW does but surely the only purpose of a car is to get from A to B?

bishbash

2,426 posts

81 months

[news] 
Wednesday 30th January 2013 quote quote all
Pr1964 said:
If the battery cant last long enough to deal with a busy work day then it’s pointless.
For you it might be, but you can't say that one of the most successful and popular types of gadget ever is pointless, if you use the phone a lot to talk on then you might well be better off with a feature phone, there's still plenty of them around. And if you need to have apps on the go get yourself a 7 inch tablet. But for most people smartphones with a daily charge is fine. Personally I make one or 2 short calls a day, but I use my phone all the time, and am happy to live with a daily charge.

However, If they could make the batteries last significantly longer and still package them in a normal sized phone I'm sure they would.


clonmult

8,892 posts

93 months

[news] 
Wednesday 30th January 2013 quote quote all
bodhi said:
Pr1964 said:
The difference is htc didn't have a billion users to convert Nokia did.

They've lost the race and will never regain thier market share all due to a failure to diversify thier product line by introducing android handsets with both touch keyboards they would like htc also have been able to go win 8 but crucially they could have saved the loss of millions of nokia users who were left out in the cold.


Can't know for sure but IMO Nokia would have been a dominant player with excellent profits if it had gone android.


Now win8 isn't going to be thier saviour and the killing off of means they may as well use every OS there is to try and sell hardware hardware which would be up to the old robust Nokia standards.

All the lumia products I've seen fail on either build quality or battery life or both.
Robust? I think you are suffering from the old rose-tinted specs there, Nokia software used to be anything but robust. OK the feature phones were pretty solid, but the N-Series? You're having a laugh aren't you? I worked for Vodafone around the time the N-Series were the big thing, and software wise, they were shocking. The N73, N82, N95, all full of bugs on release, only improving after about a gazillion updates from Nokia. Our customer care department used to be inundated with N73 owners wondering why the phones were randomly bricking themselves, and N95 owners wondering if the battery life was supposed to be JUST that bad.

Working in Sales at the time, I got a pretty good idea of why Nokia were so popular, and it was for one simple reason - people understood the menus and knew how to use them. The arrival of the simple to use iPhone effectively removed Nokia's USP, as it was even easier to use. After that Nokia went into freefall, as people could have a smartphone that was easy to use, didn't crash all the time like an N-Series, had similar battery life (far superior in the case of the N95) and better build. Nokia failed to see this coming which is why they are where they are.

I say all this as a previous Nokia fan, although I did switch to SonyEricsson when the T610 came out. I have been with SE ever since.
Operator branded variants that I had (N73, N95 and N85) were dire. As soon as each was put onto stock firmware, they were way more reliable. There were some strange SMS bugs on the N73 that never quite got resolved (it didn't like storing >1000 messages).

So in part it was the operators fault - they pushed their own customised firmwares/apps onto the devices that turned them into something unreliable, although nokia should never have given so much control to the operators.
1 2 ... 31 32
34 35 36 37
Reply to Topic