Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed

Poll: Has your 996 or 997 engine had a major rebuild?

Total Members Polled: 546

No:
323
Yes because of the IMS:
42
Yes because of scored bores:
37
Haven't bought one because of known faults:
127
Yes because of D Chunk failure:
7
Re-built prior to purchase, not sure why?:
18
2 3 ... 24 25
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

HoHoHo

Original Poster:

10,273 posts

136 months

[news] 
Sunday 11th September 2011 quote quote all
OK, may not be the best thread title but I'm sure you get the idea!

Basically, has your engine had to be rebuilt due what is perceived to be a frequently discussed design fault?

I don't think we should include RMS failures as those as I understand it won't cause an engine rebuild in the sense we are discussing here (happy to be corrected)

Please let me know what failures you have experienced and I'll add those to the poll if needbe to see how many of what failures are happening.

Hope this makes sense and if it's been done before my apologies wink

Globs

13,131 posts

117 months

s_mcneil

858 posts

81 months

[news] 
Sunday 11th September 2011 quote quote all
Yup, scored bores.

HoHoHo

Original Poster:

10,273 posts

136 months

[news] 
Sunday 11th September 2011 quote quote all
Globs said:
But that doesn't give actual figures as far as I can see, it's just a discussion thread confused

The poll is multi-answer so if you've had a problem, it's yes and also the problem.

Globs

13,131 posts

117 months

[news] 
Sunday 11th September 2011 quote quote all
HoHoHo said:
Globs said:
But that doesn't give actual figures as far as I can see, it's just a discussion thread confused

The poll is multi-answer so if you've had a problem, it's yes and also the problem.
Oh ok - I just thought you'd missed it!
Advertisement

HoHoHo

Original Poster:

10,273 posts

136 months

[news] 
Sunday 11th September 2011 quote quote all
Globs said:
HoHoHo said:
Globs said:
But that doesn't give actual figures as far as I can see, it's just a discussion thread confused

The poll is multi-answer so if you've had a problem, it's yes and also the problem.
Oh ok - I just thought you'd missed it!
No, I'm simply trying to get some confirmed figures rather than another discussion.

Globs

13,131 posts

117 months

[news] 
Sunday 11th September 2011 quote quote all
HoHoHo said:
No, I'm simply trying to get some confirmed figures rather than another discussion.
You could also add an option of 'Haven't bought one because of the faults', it would be interesting to see how many people have skipped these cars.

HoHoHo

Original Poster:

10,273 posts

136 months

[news] 
Sunday 11th September 2011 quote quote all
Globs said:
HoHoHo said:
No, I'm simply trying to get some confirmed figures rather than another discussion.
You could also add an option of 'Haven't bought one because of the faults', it would be interesting to see how many people have skipped these cars.
Done thumbup

HoHoHo

Original Poster:

10,273 posts

136 months

[news] 
Sunday 11th September 2011 quote quote all
So currently less than 10% failures.

Interesting yes

Trev450

3,531 posts

58 months

[news] 
Sunday 11th September 2011 quote quote all
It would also be of interest if you were to include 986's and 987's.

blueg33

13,621 posts

110 months

[news] 
Sunday 11th September 2011 quote quote all
Isn't RMS a major fault though? How much does it cost to fix? I think this poll is skewed because you have excluded RMS faults.

Andyuk911

1,914 posts

95 months

[news] 
Sunday 11th September 2011 quote quote all
blueg33 said:
Isn't RMS a major fault though? How much does it cost to fix? I think this poll is skewed because you have excluded RMS faults.
That's a 'seal' rather than a shaft ....

Globs

13,131 posts

117 months

[news] 
Sunday 11th September 2011 quote quote all
Cheers HoHoHo,

Andyuk911 said:
blueg33 said:
Isn't RMS a major fault though? How much does it cost to fix? I think this poll is skewed because you have excluded RMS faults.
That's a 'seal' rather than a shaft ....
I classify that as an annoying oil drip / irrelevance (the old ones dripped!)

Matt Seabrook

473 posts

137 months

[news] 
Sunday 11th September 2011 quote quote all
blueg33 said:
Isn't RMS a major fault though? How much does it cost to fix? I think this poll is skewed because you have excluded RMS faults.
Its not exactly an engine rebuild problem though is it. Not a cheep job but also not a rebuild. Its not that uncommon on any car to have a leaking RMS and something to look at when changing clutches. So far the pole is at <8% interesting stuff



Edited by Matt Seabrook on Sunday 11th September 18:05

HoHoHo

Original Poster:

10,273 posts

136 months

[news] 
Sunday 11th September 2011 quote quote all
Early days, but I suspect I've got a pretty good idea which way this poll might be........ wink

Glad I bought mine as the poll suggests currently I've got a slim chance of a major problem.

Still the doom mongers obviously haven't come back from the pub yet so there may still be a change in statistics hehe


General Bilko

266 posts

72 months

[news] 
Sunday 11th September 2011 quote quote all
Globs said:
HoHoHo said:
No, I'm simply trying to get some confirmed figures rather than another discussion.
You could also add an option of 'Haven't bought one because of the faults', it would be interesting to see how many people have skipped these cars.
What about 'I bought one and now suffer from Porsche Paranoia everytime I log on to a 996 forum'? biggrin

HoHoHo

Original Poster:

10,273 posts

136 months

[news] 
Sunday 11th September 2011 quote quote all
General Bilko said:
Globs said:
HoHoHo said:
No, I'm simply trying to get some confirmed figures rather than another discussion.
You could also add an option of 'Haven't bought one because of the faults', it would be interesting to see how many people have skipped these cars.
What about 'I bought one and now suffer from Porsche Paranoia everytime I log on to a 996 forum'? biggrin
The results of this poll will ensure you enjoy your car as was intended without thinking it's going to spit the pistons out of the exhaust every time you start it up wink

RDM

1,411 posts

93 months

[news] 
Sunday 11th September 2011 quote quote all
What's the relevance of the 4th option?

HoHoHo

Original Poster:

10,273 posts

136 months

[news] 
Sunday 11th September 2011 quote quote all
RDM said:
What's the relevance of the 4th option?
For me not much, but it was requested as an option in the thread.

blueg33

13,621 posts

110 months

[news] 
Sunday 11th September 2011 quote quote all
Matt Seabrook said:
Its not exactly an engine rebuild problem though is it. Not a cheep job but also not a rebuild. Its not that uncommon on any car to have a leaking RMS and something to look at when changing clutches. So far the pole is at <8% interesting stuff



Edited by Matt Seabrook on Sunday 11th September 18:05
To me, it depends on the cost or what it leads to if not fixed. If its a £800 job then IMO its not major, if it costs £5k it may as well be in the same class as a rebuild

2 3 ... 24 25
Reply to Topic