Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

ben_h100

Original Poster:

1,101 posts

62 months

[news] 
Thursday 29th September 2011 quote quote all
Hi all, I have recently bought an 05 1.4 TDCi fiesta from a Ford main dealer and am having an issue with it. I was given a 30-day warranty with the car and this problem manifested itself about 10 days into ownership. The car will be going in for them to look at it, but I'd like to see if anyone has had a similar problem and what the result was.

Basically what happens, is that when the car is left parked for any great length of time, the fuel drains back into the tank, away from the engine. Now when I go to start the car the starter motor works fine but the engine will not turn over.

What I have to do 9/10 times, is open the bonnet, and pump a small black rubber bulb. This sucks the fuel from the engine into two fuel pipes that run under a cover on top of the engine block.

The amount I have to pump the bulb depends on the amount of fuel in the tank, but after a little time the air is removed and I am able to start the car normally.

Any advice/experience you have on this would be greatly appreciated!

Ben

powerstroke

2,564 posts

43 months

[news] 
Friday 30th September 2011 quote quote all
most likely There will be a leak on one or more of the pipes or the fuel filter seal is U/S
so air replaces fuel hence the starting issues...

Nick3point2

3,621 posts

63 months

[news] 
Friday 30th September 2011 quote quote all
This exact same thing happened on my mums fusion with the same engine.

I'll be honest, it went back 3 or 4 times are no matter what they tried, it would come back a week or 2 later. Eventually, they said they weren't sure what it could be and it only ever happened once after the last visit, she then traded it in a few weeks later.


Reject the car. With only a 30 day warranty YOU ARE going to be stung for repairs next time it happens, and I'd be very worried it will happen again.

Mr2Mike

11,929 posts

138 months

[news] 
Friday 30th September 2011 quote quote all
ben_h100 said:
Basically what happens, is that when the car is left parked for any great length of time, the fuel drains back into the tank, away from the engine. Now when I go to start the car the starter motor works fine but the engine will not turn over.
Presumably you mean the engine turns over but will not start? The fuel return pipe on these is very prone to air leaks, but a poorly fitted fuel filter could also cause this.

ben_h100

Original Poster:

1,101 posts

62 months

[news] 
Friday 30th September 2011 quote quote all
Mr2Mike said:
Presumably you mean the engine turns over but will not start? The fuel return pipe on these is very prone to air leaks, but a poorly fitted fuel filter could also cause this.
Yes sorry, that's what I meant. It's going in on the 10th Oct so I will probably find out that week. Cheers for the heads up though.
Advertisement

one eyed mick

830 posts

44 months

[news] 
Friday 30th September 2011 quote quote all
Had sim probs with an Escort deisel van a few years ago ok it went regularly on to quarry site but we pinned it down to a hair line crack in the return pipe under the vehiclewhich allowed air in but not fuel out

one eyed mick

830 posts

44 months

[news] 
Friday 30th September 2011 quote quote all
Had sim probs with an Escort deisel van a few years ago ok it went regularly on to quarry site but we pinned it down to a hair line crack in the return pipe under the vehiclewhich allowed air in but not fuel out Might be worth a look

ben_h100

Original Poster:

1,101 posts

62 months

[news] 
Monday 24th October 2011 quote quote all
Bit of an update:

Ford diagnosed the fault as being leaky injector seals. They have replaced these (initially wanted £450 until I explained it is under warranty), but the fault remains.

So hopefully I'll find out soon what else it could be. They've had it two weeks now.

chard

3,487 posts

66 months

[news] 
Monday 24th October 2011 quote quote all
I'm shocked that a main dealer has only given you a 30 day warranty.................try Ford customer service

ben_h100

Original Poster:

1,101 posts

62 months

[news] 
Tuesday 25th October 2011 quote quote all
Yeah I was surprised as well, but it was the car I wanted. Initially there was an issue with actually getting the work done as it had been over 30 days when they got the car, but as I had informed the salesman within that timeframe he kept his word and put it in to the service dept. So at the moment, I'm relatively happy (well its getting some expensive work done and they are paying for it!), although being carless for two weeks plus is starting to gripe.

Nick3point2

3,621 posts

63 months

[news] 
Tuesday 25th October 2011 quote quote all
ben_h100 said:
Bit of an update:

Ford diagnosed the fault as being leaky injector seals. They have replaced these (initially wanted £450 until I explained it is under warranty), but the fault remains.

So hopefully I'll find out soon what else it could be. They've had it two weeks now.
I told you so....

Nick3point2

3,621 posts

63 months

[news] 
Friday 23rd December 2011 quote quote all
sorry to exhibit a bit of the old Schadenfreude, but have you got an update?

Kitchski

2,928 posts

114 months

[news] 
Saturday 24th December 2011 quote quote all
They have a diesel return pipe after the last injector IIRC, which is plastic. I seem to remember selling alot of them and I only know too well what getting air in your spill-off pipes can do for a cold starting diesel!

I could well be getting it confused with a different PSA/Ford engine, but I'm pretty sure it was this one.

ben_h100

Original Poster:

1,101 posts

62 months

[news] 
Monday 1st October 2012 quote quote all
Nick3point2 said:
sorry to exhibit a bit of the old Schadenfreude, but have you got an update?
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1059537&mid=166180

aidank1981

2 posts

28 months

[news] 
Tuesday 10th June quote quote all
Kitchski said:
They have a diesel return pipe after the last injector IIRC, which is plastic. I seem to remember selling alot of them and I only know too well what getting air in your spill-off pipes can do for a cold starting diesel!

I could well be getting it confused with a different PSA/Ford engine, but I'm pretty sure it was this one.
got a part number Kitchski?

Kitchski

2,928 posts

114 months

[news] 
Wednesday 11th June quote quote all
Not anymore, I stopped working for Ford years ago!
Reply to Topic