Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

snapper8v

Original Poster:

735 posts

92 months

[news] 
Friday 4th May 2012 quote quote all
Whilst in Italy this coming August, we'll be heading to Portofino. I've heard lot's of different stories of how difficult it is to park etc, but how true are the stories? If it helps, we'll be there mid morning on a Monday. Thanks.

LAWRENCE

TVR keith

937 posts

108 months

[news] 
Friday 4th May 2012 quote quote all
We parked in an underground car park by the harbour, it was the only place to park, can't remember the cost.
As a bonus there was a beautiful Ferrari parked on the quayside, Uk plates also a rather pointy looking fast speedboat there.
When I saw an episode of Top Gear where May and Hammond race to the French riviera I realised what we had seen

snapper8v

Original Poster:

735 posts

92 months

[news] 
Friday 4th May 2012 quote quote all
Thanks for the reply. It's down to Top Gear that Portofino is going to be part of our trip as it looks a stunning place to visit. They (TG) have a lot to answer for as it was the "Greatest driving road" episode that has seen us do the Stelvio twice now biggrin

Olf

11,412 posts

104 months

[news] 
Saturday 12th May 2012 quote quote all
Just be prepared for 30 mins of frustration and fookin around! It's a bit like trying to park in St Ives!

Suggest you also pop down to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porto_Venere

Not quite a quaint as P'fino but very very nice all the same and not the same tourist crush.

snapper8v

Original Poster:

735 posts

92 months

[news] 
Sunday 13th May 2012 quote quote all
Olf said:
Just be prepared for 30 mins of frustration and fookin around! It's a bit like trying to park in St Ives!

Suggest you also pop down to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porto_Venere

Not quite a quaint as P'fino but very very nice all the same and not the same tourist crush.
Wow! Thanks for your reply, another stunning town to visit, not enough time though rolleyes
Advertisement

aycee

239 posts

46 months

[news] 
Thursday 17th May 2012 quote quote all
August will be like sardines!
Arrive in evening or very early am and there should be space along the sea front road.Short walk to Portofino itself.

2 sMoKiN bArReLs

17,775 posts

121 months

[news] 
Thursday 17th May 2012 quote quote all
I went off season ish & parked in the underground no probs...

....but on the road in there are signs that say something like "if you are queueing from here the wait is two hours"

kev b

1,357 posts

52 months

[news] 
Thursday 17th May 2012 quote quote all
I was there last weekend and parked in the multi storey, cost about 3 euro/hr iirc.I was quite disappointed with the place, it is cramped and very touristy. If I go back I will use one of the boat ferries from one of the nearby towns which is how most of the visitors arrive. Eating places are plentiful and not outrageously expensive even right on the quay. I would imagine August to be a hell on earth with queuing to surpass Disneyworld. We stayed just above Sestri Levante which I enjoyed more,it has a road/promenade between the cafes and the sea where you can sit and watch the world pass by. Lots of PH style cars and bikes with their stylish owners and not too hard to park. Our daughters boat is docked in Genoa atm - avoid Genoa, parking is difficult and the streets narrow and busy. HTH

snapper8v

Original Poster:

735 posts

92 months

[news] 
Thursday 17th May 2012 quote quote all
kev b said:
I was there last weekend and parked in the multi storey, cost about 3 euro/hr iirc.I was quite disappointed with the place, it is cramped and very touristy. If I go back I will use one of the boat ferries from one of the nearby towns which is how most of the visitors arrive. Eating places are plentiful and not outrageously expensive even right on the quay. I would imagine August to be a hell on earth with queuing to surpass Disneyworld. We stayed just above Sestri Levante which I enjoyed more,it has a road/promenade between the cafes and the sea where you can sit and watch the world pass by. Lots of PH style cars and bikes with their stylish owners and not too hard to park. Our daughters boat is docked in Genoa atm - avoid Genoa, parking is difficult and the streets narrow and busy. HTH
Thanks Kev. I've just been watching the Giro d Italia, and today's stage finished in Sestri. I'm now thinking of parking there and takin g a ferry across, if it's possible to do? I'll Google it.

We'll be travelling up from Pisa Monday morning and will be staying in Turin Monday night, hence the thought of Portofino.

Many thansk for the other replies. I know that the Italians themselves will be holidaying in August and it'll be very busy, so we're prepared for it.

LAWRENCE

kev b

1,357 posts

52 months

[news] 
Thursday 17th May 2012 quote quote all
I have just found out the nearst place to catch a ferry to Portofino is Rapallo, which is also a good place to spend some time, with a good seafront area and available parking. Also avoid Monaglia, it's not a place to write home about and the tunnel linking it with Sestri is long,narrow and boring but most importantly single lane, ie the traffic switches direction only 3 times per hour leading to long waits.(Don't ask how I know!)

StuB

5,559 posts

125 months

[news] 
Monday 11th June 2012 quote quote all
Excellent thread as we will soon be exploring further afield from Tuscany and PF is/was on the list.

MrsB there from end of July to September again.

burriana

16,293 posts

140 months

[news] 
Sunday 17th June 2012 quote quote all
Can't believe that we will be going in two and a half weeks! smile

StuB

5,559 posts

125 months

[news] 
Sunday 17th June 2012 quote quote all
burriana said:
Can't believe that we will be going in two and a half weeks! smile
A full report when you get back please Al.

burriana

16,293 posts

140 months

[news] 
Sunday 17th June 2012 quote quote all
You'll probably be able to get the gist via Facebook Stu smile

sneijder

5,034 posts

120 months

[news] 
Saturday 7th July 2012 quote quote all
I'm in Sorrento now, and went two days ago. Brilliant drive, the town wasn't up to much though, the shops were filled with ste and the food was mediocre. The Missus will love it though.

We parked by the road, €3 an hour. I filled up at the petrol station by the underground parking, I wished I'd parked there (and read this thread first !) make sure you have a full tank, and don't worry, when you turn into the main road down into the town, It is one way !

snapper8v

Original Poster:

735 posts

92 months

[news] 
Saturday 25th August 2012 quote quote all
Thanks to Kev B, we parked in Rapallo and caught the ferry to Portofino and had 3 great hours there.

kev b

1,357 posts

52 months

[news] 
Sunday 26th August 2012 quote quote all
Glad to help, how were the crowds?

snapper8v

Original Poster:

735 posts

92 months

[news] 
Sunday 26th August 2012 quote quote all
kev b said:
Glad to help, how were the crowds?
It was busy, but not too overcrowded. The only problem was the heat and humidity. The temperature was 38 degrees! I hadn't heard of the place until Top Gear had filmed there. Stunning.







A trip to Italy couldn't be complete without a few cars, could it biggrin



Bertone concept of how an Aston should look. A four door.



I was granted a private visit with Giuseppe Volta and his GrpS Lancia ECV1, a guru in Lancia rallying circles.


Whilst leaving Turin, we came across this famous film landmark. Any guess' from which film?

Reply to Topic