PistonHeads.com Forum

SPOTY Who will it be

Author
Discussion

Adrian W

Original Poster:

10,412 posts

135 months

Sunday 12th August 2012
quotequote all
Must be the tightest ever, with the most interest.
I'm a cycling fan so Bradley Wiggens Or Chris Hoy
Then the other cycling Gold winners
Then the rowers
Ben Ainslie
Jennifer Ennis
My feeling is Mo Farah

I think it will spoil it if the short list is only a few

bigandclever

7,890 posts

145 months

Sunday 12th August 2012
quotequote all
So far, Wiggo is the odds-on favourite with the bookies.
Then Mo Farah.
Then Jess Ennis.

Gaz.

51,751 posts

158 months

Sunday 12th August 2012
quotequote all
It is a public vote so Jessica Ennis will walk it.

davepoth

26,156 posts

106 months

Sunday 12th August 2012
quotequote all
If it's not Jessica Ennis, we'll have another month of "sport is sexist", and that would make me sad.

tvrforever

3,052 posts

172 months

Sunday 12th August 2012
quotequote all
Ben Ainslie's achievement & accomplishments must rank right at the top - five medals (four being gold) in five consecutive Olympics (in a very physical & tactical sport that you can only compete for a single medal every four years)
Advertisement

bigandclever

7,890 posts

145 months

Sunday 12th August 2012
quotequote all
Gaz. said:
It is a public vote so Jessica Ennis will walk it.
She's currently at 9 to 1 (at Bet365).... that has to be worth a punt for you then? I can't help thinking that Chris Hoy at 50 to 1 (fifty!) is a good outsider. But you watch the Beeb change the rules and give it to Team GB.

Spyder5

1,057 posts

72 months

Sunday 12th August 2012
quotequote all
bigandclever said:
Gaz. said:
It is a public vote so Jessica Ennis will walk it.
She's currently at 9 to 1 (at Bet365).... that has to be worth a punt for you then? I can't help thinking that Chris Hoy at 50 to 1 (fifty!) is a good outsider. But you watch the Beeb change the rules and give it to Team GB.
Isn't there already a separate award for Team of the Year?

bigandclever

7,890 posts

145 months

Sunday 12th August 2012
quotequote all
Spyder5 said:
Isn't there already a separate award for Team of the Year?
You're right, there is, and Team GB (or whatever we were called for the 2000 Olympics and Paralymics) won it then. I am a doofus smile

TheHeretic

73,668 posts

162 months

Sunday 12th August 2012
quotequote all
Wiggins. TDF and Olympic victory.

Adrian W

Original Poster:

10,412 posts

135 months

Sunday 12th August 2012
quotequote all
The short list needs to be more than ten, someone at the BBC shouldn't be fiddling with it so that they force people to vote for someone other than there favourite.

I can't see anyone in Motorsport getting there.

wormburner

10,186 posts

160 months

Sunday 12th August 2012
quotequote all
TheHeretic said:
Wiggins. TDF and Olympic victory.
Seconded. Likeable and funny too.

wollowizard

10,716 posts

107 months

Sunday 12th August 2012
quotequote all
.Sir mo farah. Though the sir may come after. If I was her maj I would do it in the closing ceremony

wiggy001

3,819 posts

178 months

Sunday 12th August 2012
quotequote all
I think it will be Wiggins. But at 500/1, couldn't resist £2 on Ainslie and £2 on Hoy at 80/1

FunkyNige

5,899 posts

182 months

Sunday 12th August 2012
quotequote all
Adrian W said:
The short list needs to be more than ten, someone at the BBC shouldn't be fiddling with it so that they force people to vote for someone other than there favourite.

I can't see anyone in Motorsport getting there.
It's not the BBC who pick the list, they ask sports journalists to pick their top tens, then combine them to get an overall top 10.

Edited by FunkyNige on Sunday 12th August 11:13

wormburner

10,186 posts

160 months

Sunday 12th August 2012
quotequote all
Adrian W said:
The short list needs to be more than ten, someone at the BBC shouldn't be fiddling with it so that they force people to vote for someone other than there favourite.

I can't see anyone in Motorsport getting there.
Is there anyone in motorsport who merits inclusion this year?

Yiliterate

2,838 posts

113 months

Sunday 12th August 2012
quotequote all
Gaz. said:
It is a public vote so Jessica Ennis will walk it.
I think the voting public are actually pretty discerning when it comes to SPOTY. Of course, that's not to say she won't be in contention, and on merit too. Personally, though, I'd say it will be between Mo and Wiggo...

Adrian W

Original Poster:

10,412 posts

135 months

Sunday 12th August 2012
quotequote all
wormburner said:
Is there anyone in motorsport who merits inclusion this year?
No, that's what I meant maybe I worded it badly

Spyder5

1,057 posts

72 months

Sunday 12th August 2012
quotequote all
Yiliterate said:
Gaz. said:
It is a public vote so Jessica Ennis will walk it.
I think the voting public are actually pretty discerning when it comes to SPOTY. Of course, that's not to say she won't be in contention, and on merit too. Personally, though, I'd say it will be between Mo and Wiggo...
Really, Ryan Giggs? What the fk where they thinking?! Jenson looked horrified!

You've got to feel for the runners up - its got to be strongest year by far. For me it will be Wiggo, the TDF performance was an awesome achievement.

wormburner

10,186 posts

160 months

Sunday 12th August 2012
quotequote all
Adrian W said:
wormburner said:
Is there anyone in motorsport who merits inclusion this year?
No, that's what I meant maybe I worded it badly
Stewart, Surtees, Moss, Mansell and Hill have all won it.

Yiliterate

2,838 posts

113 months

Sunday 12th August 2012
quotequote all
Spyder5 said:
Really, Ryan Giggs? What the fk where they thinking?! Jenson looked horrified!

You've got to feel for the runners up - its got to be strongest year by far. For me it will be Wiggo, the TDF performance was an awesome achievement.
Probably the exception that proves the rule - though Giggs' longevity, ability and success at the top level arguably deserved some form of recognition (he says through gritted teeth!). But given the regular recognition of competitors from non-mainstream sports (Redgrave, Hoy, Cav and Zara Phillips as recent examples), I'd say the voting public are actually pretty even-handed...