Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Kermit power

Original Poster:

16,752 posts

97 months

[news] 
Tuesday 4th September 2012 quote quote all
My Shogun made it to 181k miles and 13 years of age before succumbing to terminal heart seizure on a dual-carriageway in Brittany last month on holiday. frown

Why do these things always happen when you've just spent a load of cash on it, and filled the tank with petrol??? cry

If anyone fancies a spares or repair job, I've bunged it on Ebay. If a PHer buys it, I'd chuck in a farm jack, a couple of decent towing ropes and a bunch of 3-tonne rated shackles as well.

MODs, apologies in advance if this falls foul of posting regs!

smegmore

2,509 posts

60 months

[news] 
Tuesday 4th September 2012 quote quote all
Get it stripped and find out why it seized, maybe something on the top end and a cheap fix.

Did it make any noises before it stopped?

I hate to see Shoguns go to the big car park in the sky. hehe

Kermit power

Original Poster:

16,752 posts

97 months

[news] 
Tuesday 4th September 2012 quote quote all
There was a sort of metallic rattling which rose and fell with engine revs which I was aware of for a couple of miles before the engine seized, then it went. Just stalled whilst driving. No sign of overheating, no oil warning light, just nothing at all.

Unfortunately I haven't got the skills to even begin to do it myself, and it's really more than the truck is worth to get a mechanic on it.

mat13

1,820 posts

65 months

[news] 
Tuesday 4th September 2012 quote quote all
Personally i would syphon the petrol out of the tank and sell the tyres seperately, bfg's are really expensive new and very sought after.

onesickpuppy

2,584 posts

41 months

[news] 
Tuesday 4th September 2012 quote quote all
Sorry to hear about the engine, looks a decent motor. I'd be very careful about accepting Paypal though, leaves you wide open to a world of st mate.
Advertisement

CAPP0

7,741 posts

87 months

[news] 
Tuesday 4th September 2012 quote quote all
<Adds to Watch List>

scratchchin

(PS how many "what's your Buy it Now" messages have you had so far?? rolleyes )

Kermit power

Original Poster:

16,752 posts

97 months

[news] 
Tuesday 4th September 2012 quote quote all
mat13 said:
Personally i would syphon the petrol out of the tank and sell the tyres seperately, bfg's are really expensive new and very sought after.
I did think about that, but it's stuck on a public road, so not really an option to remove the tyres, and I don't particularly want the hassle of buying enough containers to syphon off that much fuel. Sods' law of course dictates that the filler cap is on the pavement side of the vehicle, so I can't just pull the other car up alongside and do it the easy way! irked

onesickpuppy said:
Sorry to hear about the engine, looks a decent motor. I'd be very careful about accepting Paypal though, leaves you wide open to a world of st mate.
I hadn't actually realised you could not accept Paypal these days! Listing now altered, cheers. smile

smegmore

2,509 posts

60 months

[news] 
Tuesday 4th September 2012 quote quote all
You can specify cash on collection, I recall some kind of brouhaha about Paypal being mandatory and this was changed.

Take off the cambox covers and see if anything looks amiss, TBH if your not that mechanically minded I'd get someone knowledgeable to have a look at it, all is not lost!

Edited to add - I'd also check the ancillaries, if your belts are in tip top condition possibly a seized power steering pump or a/c compressor could stop the motor. Worth a look IMO.

Edited by smegmore on Tuesday 4th September 23:40

jbi

7,806 posts

88 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2012 quote quote all
keep the truck and drop a new motor in... it has years of life left in it.

Kermit power

Original Poster:

16,752 posts

97 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2012 quote quote all
jbi said:
keep the truck and drop a new motor in... it has years of life left in it.
How much is a new engine going to cost? Then I'd need to pay someone to fit it, as I have neither the tools nor the ability to do it myself.

I can't see that this is going to cost me less than it would to get rid and buy a runner to replace it?

bakerstreet

1,840 posts

49 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2012 quote quote all
I'd take it off Ebay, get a mechanic to have a look at it tell you whats wrong and then clean it and put it back on Ebay.

You will get more for it that way.

I'd also want a pick of the locking rear dif button as people get confused with the factory fit LSD and a pukka rear locking diff.

Kermit power

Original Poster:

16,752 posts

97 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2012 quote quote all
bakerstreet said:
I'd take it off Ebay, get a mechanic to have a look at it tell you whats wrong and then clean it and put it back on Ebay.

You will get more for it that way.
I have no doubt you're right about the cleaning, but unfortunately the closest the recovery truck could get it is a good 300yds away from our house, so I can't even get a hoover anywhere near it to clean the inside out.

With regards to getting a mechanic to look at it, they'd either have to strip it down at the side of the road or recover it to their workshop, and I just can't see either of those options being cheap enough to cover the extra I might make for it. The garage who did the recovery in France did go far enough to confirm that the engine has seized, so whatever happens, it's surely not going to be cheap!



bakerstreet said:
I'd also want a pick of the locking rear dif button as people get confused with the factory fit LSD and a pukka rear locking diff.
Good point! I'll add one one.

jbi

7,806 posts

88 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2012 quote quote all
Kermit power said:
jbi said:
keep the truck and drop a new motor in... it has years of life left in it.
How much is a new engine going to cost? Then I'd need to pay someone to fit it, as I have neither the tools nor the ability to do it myself.

I can't see that this is going to cost me less than it would to get rid and buy a runner to replace it?
no friendly mechanic's or local pistonheaders about?

If you can source a motor from ebay (or even fix the one you have), fitting an engine isn't too bad on a truck like that compared to say a cramped little car engine bay.

Might be worth your while, since you know the rest of the vehicle

Kermit power

Original Poster:

16,752 posts

97 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2012 quote quote all
jbi said:
no friendly mechanic's or local pistonheaders about?

If you can source a motor from ebay (or even fix the one you have), fitting an engine isn't too bad on a truck like that compared to say a cramped little car engine bay.

Might be worth your while, since you know the rest of the vehicle
The really terminal issue with that is that I've now got an S-Max on order through the company car scheme to take over family bus duties! hehe

jbi

7,806 posts

88 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2012 quote quote all
ahh.... the truth finally rears it's head biggrin

Kermit power

Original Poster:

16,752 posts

97 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2012 quote quote all
jbi said:
ahh.... the truth finally rears it's head biggrin
It's not a secret! I'd said that from the outset on the owners' club forum, and thought I had on here too, but that's on a different thread.

jbi

7,806 posts

88 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2012 quote quote all
if I hadn't just bought a jeep I would be damn tempted... that is a decent motor there.

Best of luck in the auction smile

Kermit power

Original Poster:

16,752 posts

97 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2012 quote quote all
Stupid double post...

GreatGranny

4,747 posts

110 months

[news] 
Friday 7th September 2012 quote quote all
I started a post in GG asking how much I should advertise my old Beemer for and it got closed within the day! No link, picture or anything!

You've done well for this to last this long smile

Kermit power

Original Poster:

16,752 posts

97 months

[news] 
Friday 7th September 2012 quote quote all
GreatGranny said:
I started a post in GG asking how much I should advertise my old Beemer for and it got closed within the day! No link, picture or anything!

You've done well for this to last this long smile
Maybe it's just because it's buried away in our specialist little area of PH rather than in GG?

Ironically, if you take a look at the Shogun thread a page or two back, you'll see me singing the praises of this very vehicle for never breaking down! bd truck! irked
2
Reply to Topic