Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2 3
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Lordbenny

Original Poster:

6,055 posts

107 months

[news] 
Sunday 9th September 2012 quote quote all
As title suggests, Im sure it would be controversial, does anyone dress up as a German officer?

Big Al.

44,519 posts

146 months

[news] 
Sunday 9th September 2012 quote quote all
I can only imagine that, someone would only dress like that to cause a reaction, and I would imaging not a favourable one.

I also can't for the love of money think why anybody would celebrate wearing a Nazi uniform other than a Nazi after the atrocities they caused during the last war.

m8rky

2,003 posts

47 months

[news] 
Sunday 9th September 2012 quote quote all
Would not really be period anyway as the circuit did not come in to use until after WW2.

(and I think you would be thought a knob)biggrin

jamieandthemagic

494 posts

80 months

[news] 
Sunday 9th September 2012 quote quote all
There were a few nazis there last year.

Expect to be arrested by the local bobbies at goodwood (actors).

sean11

195 posts

78 months

[news] 
Sunday 9th September 2012 quote quote all
m8rky said:
Would not really be period anyway as the circuit did not come in to use until after WW2.

(and I think you would be thought a knob)biggrin
very very very large knob
Advertisement

RichB

31,338 posts

172 months

[news] 
Sunday 9th September 2012 quote quote all
Lordbenny said:
As title suggests, Im sure it would be controversial, does anyone dress up as a German officer?
I can only assume you are asking on behalf of a friend as only a total dunce would demonstrate such ignorance.

GoneAnon

1,187 posts

40 months

[news] 
Sunday 9th September 2012 quote quote all
I can't think of a single reason why that might be a good idea.

Even Prince Harry has learned that the Nazi outfit is best saved for the privacy of the bedroom.

Trophybloo

1,107 posts

75 months

[news] 
Monday 10th September 2012 quote quote all
What in the name of Max Mosely would possess anyone to even consider it!
Of course, given that 'Dad's Army' are always present -hence providing a WW2 pre-circuit presence- perhaps they could do with some focussed bayonet practice!

hedgefinder

2,705 posts

58 months

[news] 
Monday 10th September 2012 quote quote all
I went to a fancy dress party dressed in a Freddie Star Hitler costume wellies, shorts the lot. Got a lecture from several people asking "did I not think it was racist" ........... Portraying Hitler in wellies and shorts! Just proves how totally ridiculous the PC brigade have become.

Satsuma

263 posts

120 months

[news] 
Wednesday 12th September 2012 quote quote all
idiot.

peteryoung

33 posts

51 months

[news] 
Wednesday 12th September 2012 quote quote all
Theres all sorts at Revival including a few German Officers, but the idea is to dress in period not turn up as a cabaret turn from a second rate burlesque.

Its a relaxed tolerant crowd at Revival, but I would expect to get some stick turning up in that gear.

Id encourage you to wear something more in the spirit and enjoy the event for what it is, namely the best classic event in the world.... period.

Gutted I cant go this year, and FoS, although superb, was no compensation for missing Revival.

Lordbenny

Original Poster:

6,055 posts

107 months

[news] 
Wednesday 12th September 2012 quote quote all
Just to add that I was never intending to dress as a Nazi, just wondered!...Oh, and to let you know, I have now got an original RAF officers uniform, handlebar moustache and a pipe & the Mrs has a 40's skirt, shoes, stocking etc etc. My Dad is going as General Patton and Mum as a WRAF. Can't wait for Sunday. smile

DJRC

22,362 posts

124 months

[news] 
Thursday 13th September 2012 quote quote all
Nothing wrong with going as a Luftwaffe officer. Personally I think if you made a deliberate attempt to go as Galland then that would be uber cool and it certainly would be applauded and appreciated round the Aero Club.
That is different than going in formal totenkopf outfit.

As for whichever nobber said it would be inappropriate due to the circuit only coming into use after WW2...its Westhampnett aerodrome. One of the most famous BoB airfields.

m8rky

2,003 posts

47 months

[news] 
Thursday 13th September 2012 quote quote all
DJRC said:
Nothing wrong with going as a Luftwaffe officer. Personally I think if you made a deliberate attempt to go as Galland then that would be uber cool and it certainly would be applauded and appreciated round the Aero Club.
That is different than going in formal totenkopf outfit.

As for whichever nobber said it would be inappropriate due to the circuit only coming into use after WW2...its Westhampnett aerodrome. One of the most famous BoB airfields.
Yes I am fully aware of the history as I live within spitting distance of the circuit,it did not make the transition from airfield to motor circuit until 1948.Hence the comment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodwood_Circuit

So sad you have to resort to petty name calling.

9.3

652 posts

80 months

[news] 
Thursday 13th September 2012 quote quote all
I think one needs to remember that a significant number of Germans fighting in WW2 were not Nazis.

peteryoung

33 posts

51 months

[news] 
Thursday 13th September 2012 quote quote all
Fair point 9.3. A regular German military uniform is vastly different from say an SS uniform, which above all else would be in extremely poor taste.

Sounds like you have it covered perfectly OP, Im sure youll have a wonderful time.

Wish I could go this year.


RichB

31,338 posts

172 months

[news] 
Thursday 13th September 2012 quote quote all
Lordbenny said:
...I have now got an original RAF officers uniform...
Excellent; King's Crown buttons and hat badge and hopefully a cloth covered peak not shiny plastic wink

Lordbenny

Original Poster:

6,055 posts

107 months

[news] 
Thursday 13th September 2012 quote quote all
RichB said:
Excellent; King's Crown buttons and hat badge and hopefully a cloth covered peak not shiny plastic wink
Oh, dear, I think you may be disappointed with my uniform, Its the best that my local fancy dress shop could provide, however, although it is original it may not be quite as authentic as you would like! I'll post pics on Sunday evening...In sepia of course! wink

RichB

31,338 posts

172 months

[news] 
Thursday 13th September 2012 quote quote all
hehe See you there...

road hog

2,259 posts

101 months

[news] 
Friday 14th September 2012 quote quote all
Lordbenny said:
Oh, dear, I think you may be disappointed with my uniform, Its the best that my local fancy dress shop could provide, however, although it is original it may not be quite as authentic as you would like! I'll post pics on Sunday evening...In sepia of course! wink
I could only manage a Sergeants Raf uniform....


is it just sunday you need to dress up for....

2 3
Reply to Topic