Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2 3 ... 20 21
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

monthefish

Original Poster:

17,637 posts

114 months

[news] 
Monday 10th September 2012 quote quote all
Website not giving a lot away:

"Mike and Edd will be back this Autumn with more Wheeling and Dealing!"
http://www.discoveryuk.com/web/wheeler-dealers/


Anyone know when the first episode will be shown?

oobster

5,211 posts

94 months

[news] 
Monday 10th September 2012 quote quote all
I don't know the answer to your question but I am bloody sick fed up of their greased lightning advert being on EVERY break.

I watched Fifth Gear on Discovery tonight, then Mythbusters straight afterwards and the new Wheeler Dealers st advert was on at every damn break. I wouldn't mind quite so much if it was a decent ad, but it is sttier than a st thing that has just been st on. Whoever thought of that ad needs to be taken outside and shot, in the face. And while they are there take Mike and Ed outside too for agreeing to appear in such a massive steaming pile of arse-cake.

Looking forward to the new series though!

AKindSoul

135 posts

67 months

[news] 
Tuesday 11th September 2012 quote quote all
monthefish said:
Website not giving a lot away:


Anyone know when the first episode will be shown?
Second part of Series 9 starts September 18th, 2012 and will feature Jaguar Mk2, BMW Isetta, 1944 Willys Jeep and Gardner Douglas AC Cobra


Google is your friend.

RichB

29,736 posts

167 months

[news] 
Tuesday 11th September 2012 quote quote all
oobster said:
I don't know the answer to your question but I am bloody sick fed up of their greased lightning advert being on EVERY break.

I watched Fifth Gear on Discovery tonight, then Mythbusters straight afterwards and the new Wheeler Dealers st advert was on at every damn break...
Why not just record all that stuff and skip through the ads?

monthefish

Original Poster:

17,637 posts

114 months

[news] 
Tuesday 11th September 2012 quote quote all
AKindSoul said:
monthefish said:
Website not giving a lot away:


Anyone know when the first episode will be shown?
Second part of Series 9 starts September 18th, 2012 and will feature Jaguar Mk2, BMW Isetta, 1944 Willys Jeep and Gardner Douglas AC Cobra


Google is your friend.
Actually, Google is no longer my friend since it didn't share that nugget of information with me.

You are my friend now. Can I come to your house?

Advertisement

HD Adam

2,397 posts

67 months

[news] 
Tuesday 11th September 2012 quote quote all
RichB said:
oobster said:
I don't know the answer to your question but I am bloody sick fed up of their greased lightning advert being on EVERY break.

I watched Fifth Gear on Discovery tonight, then Mythbusters straight afterwards and the new Wheeler Dealers st advert was on at every damn break...
Why not just record all that stuff and skip through the ads?
I've got Sky+ so I just start watching everything 15 minutes later than the start time then fast forwards through the guff.

monthefish

Original Poster:

17,637 posts

114 months

[news] 
Tuesday 11th September 2012 quote quote all
AKindSoul said:
monthefish said:
Website not giving a lot away:


Anyone know when the first episode will be shown?
Second part of Series 9 starts September 18th
If they know when it's being broadcast, why the big secrecy? (on Discovery's part).

Really bugs me when a TV channel does this...
(usually end up missing the first couple of episodes irked )

paulwoof

624 posts

38 months

[news] 
Tuesday 11th September 2012 quote quote all
HD Adam said:
I've got Sky+ so I just start watching everything 15 minutes later than the start time then fast forwards through the guff.
this is what i started doing. out of the 45 minute program (after adverts)i watch maybe 30 minutes.
first 15 minutes mike brewer who annoys me more day by day, spouting pish,
after the first break, ed works on the car for 10 minutes, skip 5 minutes of mike and then 5 minutes of adverts, watch 10 minutes of ed fixing stuff, skip advert, watch 6-7 minutes of ed fixing car, skip to see the "profit" then end.

theyve been playing some classic wheeler dealers recently in the old workshops, mini, 190e, corvette,
the format was much better back then

ukzz4iroc

1,239 posts

57 months

[news] 
Wednesday 12th September 2012 quote quote all
paulwoof said:
theyve been playing some classic wheeler dealers recently in the old workshops, mini, 190e, corvette,
the format was much better back then
The format was definitely not better back then! 2 x1/2 hour episodes and before and after every break talking about what was coming next and a recap.

Glad it's back on the 18th! Much better in a 1 hour slot.

Pixelpeep

2,575 posts

25 months

[news] 
Wednesday 12th September 2012 quote quote all
I love the program but it bugs me also...

"so, we paid £1500, spent £500 and sold it for £2300... nice £300 profit there....'

Er, mike me 'ol china.. you forgot about the 4 days it took to fix up, your mechanics wages, your rent,rates and utility bills for your workshop.


i know i know, its only a program lol..


y2blade

54,250 posts

98 months

[news] 
Wednesday 12th September 2012 quote quote all
WooHoo we love Ed and Mike cool

Can't wait.

ukzz4iroc

1,239 posts

57 months

[news] 
Wednesday 12th September 2012 quote quote all
Pixelpeep said:
I love the program but it bugs me also...

"so, we paid £1500, spent £500 and sold it for £2300... nice £300 profit there....'

Er, mike me 'ol china.. you forgot about the 4 days it took to fix up, your mechanics wages, your rent,rates and utility bills for your workshop.


i know i know, its only a program lol..
It kind of assumes that we would have the same facilities and know-how. That way it's kinda free smile

Pixelpeep

2,575 posts

25 months

[news] 
Wednesday 12th September 2012 quote quote all
ukzz4iroc said:
It kind of assumes that we would have the same facilities and know-how. That way it's kinda free smile
you know what, it doesn't matter cos its good TV... specially when they get a good car... smile

Chris_H

806 posts

161 months

[news] 
Wednesday 12th September 2012 quote quote all
Posted on FB by Mike Brewer:



Looking forward to this as I've had both an Isetta and a Cobra!

monthefish

Original Poster:

17,637 posts

114 months

[news] 
Wednesday 12th September 2012 quote quote all
Pixelpeep said:
I love the program but it bugs me also...

"so, we paid £1500, spent £500 and sold it for £2300... nice £300 profit there....'

Er, mike me 'ol china.. you forgot about the 4 days it took to fix up, your mechanics wages, your rent,rates and utility bills for your workshop.


i know i know, its only a program lol..
The premise of the show is based on home mechanics, so none of these costs apply.

Yes, Edd's workshop is better equipped than most, and Edd's knowledge/experience is greater than most, however the principle is the same.



Elroy Blue

6,390 posts

75 months

[news] 
Wednesday 12th September 2012 quote quote all
Looking forward to the Willys Jeep episode. I've wanted one of those since I played war and watched Kelly's Heroes

LordGrover

21,846 posts

95 months

[news] 
Wednesday 12th September 2012 quote quote all
Elroy Blue said:
... Kelly's Heroes
Oddball: A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge.

paulwoof

624 posts

38 months

[news] 
Wednesday 12th September 2012 quote quote all
ukzz4iroc said:
The format was definitely not better back then! 2 x1/2 hour episodes and before and after every break talking about what was coming next and a recap.

Glad it's back on the 18th! Much better in a 1 hour slot.
i agree about the half hour hour slots, but theyve always been back to back so its not as if you miss half it.
the whole recap thing is even worse now than it was before, after every break, mike does a recap, now the first 15 minutes are mike showing us some gadget to buy a car, then 10 minutes of mike buying parts, etc its got worse than before in terms of less action actually happening. you used to see alot of the work getting done, where as last season i recall almost montage's of work being done, where ed ran around the car and stuff magically became fixed.

i dont really care about the profit thing, i know its tv, i know we dont all have 4 post lifts, massive selection of tools, workshop etc, but you could do 90 percent of the jobs ed does without if a little unpractical, ive changed an engine on a sloped driveway in the rain and dark with nothing more than engine crane, trolley jack, sockets etc. as well suspenion, exhaust etc lying on the floor.

if anything they could drop the profit part and just show cars being worked on. maybe it will kind of lose the point of the show but it would mean mikes on tv less. i kind of enjoy: a car is born, and the other variants but never watched a complete series and it is a bit too much man who lives in his shed. i think if you got a middle of "a car is born" and wheeler dealers it would be perfect.

oobster

5,211 posts

94 months

[news] 
Wednesday 12th September 2012 quote quote all
Seems like Mike and Ed are just going to continue churning out one or two series of WD without a lot of thought gone into the format and how to improve it. My major bugbear is that the whole premise of the show used to be about how they had rescued another classic from the scrappy, so that the car could be around for another 5/10/20 years. The profit seemed to be, in early shows, secondary to getting the car back up to a semi-decent condition.

Now its all about keeping the budget down and ensuring they make a profit. Which is all bks anyway, as the cars appear on eBay before the show even airs & I very much doubt the 'buyer' they film at the end of each show is the actual person who buys the car off the production company.


Terzo123

1,625 posts

91 months

[news] 
Monday 17th September 2012 quote quote all
Just clocked this car for sale

I thought it was sold to an online buyer from Cyprus

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/4194230.htm
2 3 ... 20 21
Reply to Topic