Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2 3 4
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Guam

Original Poster:

19,297 posts

148 months

[news] 
Tuesday 18th September 2012 quote quote all
mmm Warp spacecraft the size of a car, where do I sign up smile

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-220...

warp9

812 posts

77 months

[news] 
Tuesday 18th September 2012 quote quote all
To infinity and beyond......!

MartG

3,266 posts

84 months

[news] 
Wednesday 19th September 2012 quote quote all
Make it so !

LordGrover

20,988 posts

92 months

[news] 
Wednesday 19th September 2012 quote quote all
link said:
White and his team are experimenting with a mini-version of a warp drive in their laboratory, using laser to try to warp space and time in miniature.
Can I have a job please, Mr White?

PeanutHead

7,814 posts

50 months

[news] 
Wednesday 19th September 2012 quote quote all
Engage.
Advertisement

Guvernator

3,311 posts

45 months

[news] 
Wednesday 19th September 2012 quote quote all
Hmm I thought the often sited consensus, even on this forum was that faster than light travel was impossible. Would any of the more knowledgeable physicists on here like to comment on this? Scientifically possible or a load of codswallop?

LordGrover

20,988 posts

92 months

[news] 
Wednesday 19th September 2012 quote quote all
confused Did you not read the article or links?

Nuclearsquash

1,252 posts

142 months

[news] 
Wednesday 19th September 2012 quote quote all
You don't need to go faster than light, just bend space to make the effective distance travelable at normal speeds.

Guvernator

3,311 posts

45 months

[news] 
Wednesday 19th September 2012 quote quote all
Yes I did read the article and to be honest the article is confusing in itself but then it's the Daily Mail so I shouldn't be surprised really.

The OP's topic heading, the term Warp and the article itself all reference FTL travel but then the actual scientist is talking about bending space which has nothing to do with going faster than light but more to do with circumventing it instead.

Krikkit

4,858 posts

61 months

[news] 
Wednesday 19th September 2012 quote quote all
Forget the spurious and ludicrous article, the comments are priceless!

Guvernator

3,311 posts

45 months

[news] 
Wednesday 19th September 2012 quote quote all
Krikkit said:
Forget the spurious and ludicrous article, the comments are priceless!
Indeed, with the primary school grasp of physics on display, some of those people should be contributing to the Science forum!

TheHeretic

73,668 posts

135 months

[news] 
Wednesday 19th September 2012 quote quote all
They say it is a ship. It isn't. It's an American football.

Guam

Original Poster:

19,297 posts

148 months

[news] 
Wednesday 19th September 2012 quote quote all
Guvernator said:
Yes I did read the article and to be honest the article is confusing in itself but then it's the Daily Mail so I shouldn't be surprised really.

The OP's topic heading, the term Warp and the article itself all reference FTL travel but then the actual scientist is talking about bending space which has nothing to do with going faster than light but more to do with circumventing it instead.
Thats the point of WARP in that context <warping space> smile
It was posted for a giggle, most folks got it, clearly not you. The Airplane on a conveyor thread should give you endless pleasure smile

A Car sized warp craft on a car forum why would that be pertinent smile

Simpo Two

58,194 posts

145 months

[news] 
Thursday 20th September 2012 quote quote all
I always thought 'Warp 9' was 9x speed of light...

It must be an equivalent. IE I'm going to scrunch up this bit of space so much that I can get through it at sub light speed but to an outside observer it will SEEM to be 9c'




Who sends these outside observers anyway?!

Art0ir

6,299 posts

50 months

[news] 
Thursday 20th September 2012 quote quote all
The Space.com article is a bit more.. readable

http://www.space.com/17628-warp-drive-possible-int...

tuffer

5,865 posts

147 months

[news] 
Thursday 20th September 2012 quote quote all
So let me get this right, you float an American football in the middle of a Doughnut and jobs a good-un!!

plasticpig

8,947 posts

105 months

[news] 
Thursday 20th September 2012 quote quote all
Simpo Two said:
I always thought 'Warp 9' was 9x speed of light...

It must be an equivalent. IE I'm going to scrunch up this bit of space so much that I can get through it at sub light speed but to an outside observer it will SEEM to be 9c'




Who sends these outside observers anyway?!
Slightly faster than that otherwise Captain Kirk wouldn't have got to Alpha Centauri before the first series was over.

Simpo Two

58,194 posts

145 months

[news] 
Thursday 20th September 2012 quote quote all
Logathithmic perhaps then.

Guam

Original Poster:

19,297 posts

148 months

[news] 
Thursday 20th September 2012 quote quote all
plasticpig said:
Slightly faster than that otherwise Captain Kirk wouldn't have got to Alpha Centauri before the first series was over.
No but he could have cut plenty pizza I bet smile
http://store.space.com/gifts-gadgets/star-trek-ent...
Hat tip to the poster above for the news link that threw the Advert up smile

annodomini2

5,026 posts

131 months

[news] 
Thursday 20th September 2012 quote quote all
Still impractical, just less unrealistic.

The fundamental issue is the 2nd half of the equation, notably: "Expand space-time behind the ship".

This effectively requires manipulation of the (currently) highly theoretical dark energy, which will still aren't certain exists.

Whether it can be manipulated or not is another issue.
2 3 4
Reply to Topic