Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2 3 4 5
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

dbv8

Original Poster:

6,837 posts

107 months

[news] 
Sunday 23rd September 2012 quote quote all
Ive just returned from York with a very dodgy clutch.

Just a little throttle and it spins up then seems to grip again about 3000 rpm. I guess if i had given it more throttle it would just spin all the way.
I guess its just had its day.

The pressure plate is from a 500 lb/ft ceramettalic kit i bought of John Eales 3 years ago. The original plate had worn the inner metal plate and was rattling and making awful noises so i aquired Neal1980's 500 lb/ft Helic plate (still owe you neal). This plate served me for a while and i ran my PB of 11.2 @ 127 with about 150 bhp of nitrous.

The easiest option would be to order a new plate from John Eales. Or do i need a more capable item?
McLeod maybe scratchchin
Problem is i only have the next 2 weekends to order the plate, drop the box and swap it. Big grudge race at Shakey with a certain Jensen Interceptor on 13th.

spitfire4v8

1,929 posts

68 months

[news] 
Sunday 23rd September 2012 quote quote all
Is it the same clutch you had in at BNG ? Me and a couple of others watched you try and do a burnout but the wheels didn't spin. Don't think you realised at the time but the smoke was from the clutch not tyres. You need something beefy with all the traction smile

slideways

3,244 posts

108 months

[news] 
Sunday 23rd September 2012 quote quote all
Derek I can't rate the McLeod highly enough, it's a very very nice clutch

Hoofa

2,636 posts

95 months

[news] 
Sunday 23rd September 2012 quote quote all
I would agree as mine is coming apart next week, bye bye helix smile

neal1980

2,221 posts

126 months

[news] 
Sunday 23rd September 2012 quote quote all
dbv8 said:
(still owe you neal).
can u paypal it to me? got a clutch I need to buy too smile
Advertisement

TVR Beaver

2,662 posts

67 months

[news] 
Sunday 23rd September 2012 quote quote all
Daz recons the 340 LBF AP's are okay rolleyes (for us normal types anyway)

and Derek... +1... we thought you'd done your clutch big time at the BNG
frown

Edited by TVR Beaver on Sunday 23 September 21:10

dbv8

Original Poster:

6,837 posts

107 months

[news] 
Sunday 23rd September 2012 quote quote all
Yeah its hard to believe the the rather hot clutch let me run to 152 immediately after i cooked it.
I ran 158 in the sfternoon.
It didnt start slipping till this Saturday morning on the way to York. 3 drag strip runs finished it off on Saturday afternoon. I think 12.9 @ 110 on the Federals, no gas on a poor track and a goosed clutch is pretty good considering laugh

Richard I would love to get the RST but time and finance are both a problem. The John Eales one i had never let me down.... that is until it started munching the inner metal away.
Think i will just order another and get it fixed asap. Got to beat Tony.

SILICONEKID340HP

12,111 posts

118 months

[news] 
Sunday 23rd September 2012 quote quote all
Sorry for hijacking but what type, size Federals are you running and how are they ?

dbv8

Original Poster:

6,837 posts

107 months

[news] 
Monday 24th September 2012 quote quote all
SILICONEKID340HP said:
Sorry for hijacking but what type, size Federals are you running and how are they ?
I have a set of RSRs on my SP12's. I got greedy and fitted 265/35/18 on the rear. I have modified the inner arches for the MTs so I have the clearance.
They seem ok. Very good in the dry but i have felt them let go a bit in the wet.
I ran a 2.05 to 60 foot on Saturday but believe they could do better on a better surface. Not as good as 888's but a very good alternative option at a fraction of the price IMHO

SILICONEKID340HP

12,111 posts

118 months

[news] 
Monday 24th September 2012 quote quote all
dbv8 said:
SILICONEKID340HP said:
Sorry for hijacking but what type, size Federals are you running and how are they ?
I have a set of RSRs on my SP12's. I got greedy and fitted 265/35/18 on the rear. I have modified the inner arches for the MTs so I have the clearance.
They seem ok. Very good in the dry but i have felt them let go a bit in the wet.
I ran a 2.05 to 60 foot on Saturday but believe they could do better on a better surface. Not as good as 888's but a very good alternative option at a fraction of the price IMHO
Have you tried jacking the back end up and leaving the wheels on ? the passenger side tyre hits the outrigger ,a recent blast around Bruntingthorpe caused the back end to wobble ..Weird thing is there is plenty of space between the side of the tyre and outrigger one side and the other side is around 15mm closer, when the cars sits on a flat surface.. I may have to adopt haircuts solution by tweaking the outrigger or its changing the tyres.

How wide is the 265 tyre ? does it measure wider than the 265 ?(wall to wall) cheers


Chilliman

5,443 posts

48 months

[news] 
Monday 24th September 2012 quote quote all
Guys, these Mcleod clutches, where are you getting them from? Any info on spec etc? I've tried googling but without much success.....

TIA, Chilli

citizen smith

135 posts

68 months

[news] 
Monday 24th September 2012 quote quote all
Chillman,

I believe the company that you need to speak to is called "REAL STEAL" (American V8 Engine supplier/tuner Parts), down near Uxbridge.

EggsBenedict

829 posts

61 months

[news] 
Monday 24th September 2012 quote quote all
Is that a comment on their pricing?

Here's their site: http://www.realsteel.co.uk/


citizen smith

135 posts

68 months

[news] 
Monday 24th September 2012 quote quote all
Eggsbenedict,

No!, I just had one of those senior moments.

slideways

3,244 posts

108 months

[news] 
Monday 24th September 2012 quote quote all
Chilliman said:
Guys, these Mcleod clutches, where are you getting them from? Any info on spec etc? I've tried googling but without much success.....

TIA, Chilli
BY6913-00 RST PRESSURE PLATE SMALL FLYWHEEL
BY691920-02 RST PLATE SET 1" X 23 SPLINE-METRIC
This is what I have from real steel

dbv8

Original Poster:

6,837 posts

107 months

[news] 
Monday 24th September 2012 quote quote all
slideways said:
BY6913-00 RST PRESSURE PLATE SMALL FLYWHEEL
BY691920-02 RST PLATE SET 1" X 23 SPLINE-METRIC
This is what I have from real steel
What other work is required Richard?
Flywheel to be redrilled and tapped?
Is the standard release bearing and carrier ok to use?

slideways

3,244 posts

108 months

[news] 
Monday 24th September 2012 quote quote all
dbv8 said:
slideways said:
BY6913-00 RST PRESSURE PLATE SMALL FLYWHEEL
BY691920-02 RST PLATE SET 1" X 23 SPLINE-METRIC
This is what I have from real steel
What other work is required Richard?
Flywheel to be redrilled and tapped?
Is the standard release bearing and carrier ok to use?
Yes to the flywheel, I just bought their SFI rated one to match the clutch, if you have a standard t5 gearbox then it will go straight on

citizen smith

135 posts

68 months

[news] 
Monday 24th September 2012 quote quote all
Hi DVB8,

My best advice would be to speak to the guys @ REAL STEEL, they will have first hand knowledge which can save a fortune in the long term. But I am only a purely a novice! ( excuse spelling)
I used this supplier many years ago and they were very helpfull.

Edited by citizen smith on Tuesday 25th September 03:14

dbv8

Original Poster:

6,837 posts

107 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
90% decided to order tomorrow morning from Techcraft. I spoke to Anthony today. A very informative and useful chat.

AP cover and plate.
The cover is a CP2394-46 rated to 522lb/ft and the plate is a sprung 6 paddle cerametallic CP4216-16.
They come in at about £420 inc vat but + delivery.

No drilling required and the standard release bearing is ok to use.

24 hour delivery and I should have the new clutch in and running by Saturday afternoon.

SILICONEKID340HP

12,111 posts

118 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
dbv8 said:
90% decided to order tomorrow morning from Techcraft. I spoke to Anthony today. A very informative and useful chat.

AP cover and plate.
The cover is a CP2394-46 rated to 522lb/ft and the plate is a sprung 6 paddle cerametallic CP4216-16.
They come in at about £420 inc vat but + delivery.

No drilling required and the standard release bearing is ok to use.

24 hour delivery and I should have the new clutch in and running by Saturday afternoon.
I wonder how heavy thats going to be Derek ! I thought Neal said it`s ever off or on .
2 3 4 5
Reply to Topic