PistonHeads.com Forum

Oh Lordy - what have I done??

Author
Discussion

bqf

Original Poster:

1,495 posts

68 months

Friday 28th September 2012
quotequote all
zygalski said:
Let's hope the wipers don't fail.
WIPERS? Eh? yikes

Balmoral

30,101 posts

145 months

Friday 28th September 2012
quotequote all
I guess 12mpg and the very realistic probability of a £3K hit to your wallet at least once and maybe even twice a year puts people off.

That's not to say that there aren't bargains out there that might cost you very little, other than fuel, if you're lucky.

I've had mine 12 years, and it's seldom given me a year off.

bqf

Original Poster:

1,495 posts

68 months

Friday 28th September 2012
quotequote all
Balmoral said:
I guess 12mpg and the very realistic probability of a £3K hit to your wallet at least once and maybe even twice a year puts people off.

That's not to say that there aren't bargains out there that might cost you very little, other than fuel, if you're lucky.

I've had mine 12 years, and it's seldom given me a year off.
£3,000 a year? TWICE? For what?

Balmoral

30,101 posts

145 months

Friday 28th September 2012
quotequote all
Just bits & bobs, not much really hehe

bqf

Original Poster:

1,495 posts

68 months

Friday 28th September 2012
quotequote all
Balmoral said:
Just bits & bobs, not much really hehe
I'll survive - my hobby is motor racing so I'm used to enormous, unexpected, crippling bills!!

Money is for spending anyway wobble

Balmoral

30,101 posts

145 months

Friday 28th September 2012
quotequote all
You'll enjoy it I'm sure, they are MAGNIFICENT things, I will never part with mine.

bqf

Original Poster:

1,495 posts

68 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
Well, I got my Bentley Turbo R home - what can I say.

It's terrific. Absolutely everything works - all the electrics, windows, mirrors, cd radio, aerial, seats, everything. Exterior is superb, with just a couple of stone chips to deal with. Interior great, although it needs a valet, and the lambswool overmats need [dry?] cleaning.

The engine and gearbox feel strong, and didn't miss a beat in pouring rain for my 200 mile journey home - even managed 16mpg(ish) on the way back. Only downside is an intermittent rev counter - doesn't always work???

Bargainsville! The car feels fabulous inside, and I have achieved a lifelong dream in finally owning a car with a Town and Country horn!!!

I'll post up some pics when I have it cleaned etc....feeling v v positive about it at the moment though!

gary71

1,131 posts

76 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
beer Keep us informed!

Bluebottle911

634 posts

92 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
bqf said:
Well, I got my Bentley Turbo R home - what can I say.

It's terrific. Absolutely everything works - all the electrics, windows, mirrors, cd radio, aerial, seats, everything. Exterior is superb, with just a couple of stone chips to deal with. Interior great, although it needs a valet, and the lambswool overmats need [dry?] cleaning.

The engine and gearbox feel strong, and didn't miss a beat in pouring rain for my 200 mile journey home - even managed 16mpg(ish) on the way back. Only downside is an intermittent rev counter - doesn't always work???

Bargainsville! The car feels fabulous inside, and I have achieved a lifelong dream in finally owning a car with a Town and Country horn!!!

I'll post up some pics when I have it cleaned etc....feeling v v positive about it at the moment though!
Congratulations on your purchase. As they say, "who dares wins"!

Balmoral

30,101 posts

145 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
It's lulling you into a false sense of security wink


bqf

Original Poster:

1,495 posts

68 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
Balmoral said:
It's lulling you into a false sense of security wink
Ha! I suspect you're right, but I am sure to have fun while this lasts. It's terrific - genuinely magnificent, unlike any other car i have owned. I'm sure it will be worth the money over the long term.......

ivanhoew

551 posts

138 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
excellento.

kamilb1998

2,124 posts

74 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
Congratulations! Keep us posted! thumbup

MUDGUTZ

69 posts

44 months

Sunday 7th October 2012
quotequote all
Hey bqf: Please keep us updated and post some pics if possible.

I'm also interested in how easy these cars are to work on. As someone said, a service history on a £10k Bentley may not be worth much. There must be some savings there.

POORCARDEALER

7,261 posts

138 months

Sunday 7th October 2012
quotequote all
MUDGUTZ said:
Hey bqf: Please keep us updated and post some pics if possible.

I'm also interested in how easy these cars are to work on. As someone said, a service history on a £10k Bentley may not be worth much. There must be some savings there.
They are not rocket science to work on BUT most jobs take more time to do than other cars, more bolts, screws, fastenings, parts to remove to get to other parts....a few special tools needed and a different set of spanners and sockets too

MUDGUTZ

69 posts

44 months

Sunday 7th October 2012
quotequote all
POORCARDEALER said:
They are not rocket science to work on BUT most jobs take more time to do than other cars, more bolts, screws, fastenings, parts to remove to get to other parts....a few special tools needed and a different set of spanners and sockets too
Thanks PCD. I need a larger garage. My LS only just fits and were I to do some maintenance myself I would love to try. Like I say above, a service history on a £10k Bentley may not be worth much. It sounds like a case of time and patience.

slippery

14,046 posts

136 months

Sunday 7th October 2012
quotequote all
clapGreat work OP! PH bravado at its best! bow

S10GTA

5,668 posts

64 months

Sunday 7th October 2012
quotequote all
Bravo!

2woody

849 posts

107 months

Monday 8th October 2012
quotequote all
MUDGUTZ said:
Hey bqf: Please keep us updated and post some pics if possible.

I'm also interested in how easy these cars are to work on. As someone said, a service history on a £10k Bentley may not be worth much. There must be some savings there.
They're very much like, say a '70s XJ6 to work on. Everything comes apart and can be adjusted.

Parts prices are like a '70s XJ6 x 10, tho.

I do all my own work.

matc

4,589 posts

104 months

Tuesday 9th October 2012
quotequote all
Great thread, make sure you put some pics up! thumbup