Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Disastrous

Original Poster:

4,889 posts

101 months

[news] 
Sunday 30th September 2012 quote quote all
Heading to Paris with the OH at the end of October for 'une romantic break'. All the usual tripadvisor suspects seem booked out so wondered if anyone coud recommend a nice hotel; traditional good, boutique even better; somewhere close to the sights?

Aiming to spend approx. £150 a night and looking to avoid business type places.

Merci bien.

Rushmore

1,223 posts

26 months

[news] 
Sunday 30th September 2012 quote quote all
Having been to Paris many many times, I would strongly recommend to GO for the business hotels (in 2nd row to Champs E.) b/c their hygenic standards and overall level of professionalism is far above the "romantic" "boutique" hotels. Women like that. Have dinner elsewhere, I can recommend you some nice places.

Rushmore

1,223 posts

26 months

[news] 
Sunday 30th September 2012 quote quote all
I stayed at the Radisson Blue last time, and, yes, it was a moden business hotel, no Parisian charme, but there are many bars, restaurants and shops where you will have more than enough of that.

Disastrous

Original Poster:

4,889 posts

101 months

[news] 
Sunday 30th September 2012 quote quote all
Good points, and your thoughts echo mine! My logic was business hotel = people who complain if it's a dump. The OH hasn't been before though, so I suspect has a romantic image of the place.

Will check out the Radisson Blu. I also have just raised my budget a bit, based on more looking!

O/T, but have you been to Harry's Bar, on "SANK, ROO DOE NOO" as the old ads had it? Looks cool for a nice cocktail but wondered if it might be trading off the old days a bit...

Seti

1,816 posts

88 months

[news] 
Sunday 30th September 2012 quote quote all
I stayed hear a couple of years ago

http://www.hoteldupantheon.com/gallery.html

Had I not gone with a complete and utter bh who proceeded to treat me like st afterwards I would go back.
Advertisement

marcosgt

7,478 posts

60 months

[news] 
Sunday 30th September 2012 quote quote all
I really like the Ascott Arc De Triomphe.

You can get it for a good price sometimes, but others it seems to be crazily expensive (picking the default days, it's JUST over your budget on Expedia, but about twice as much some other places!).

Out of the hotels I've stayed at on business this is the best, but I don't worry about wifi and stuff like that, I worry about comfort, space and cleanliness (the same things I look for on a private trip) and it has that in spades along with some modern style (and good breakfasts).

If you want something more traditional, the Hotel Balzac was nice, but my room was 'cozy' to say the least...

M.

Rushmore

1,223 posts

26 months

[news] 
Sunday 30th September 2012 quote quote all
Well. Would you have "afternoon tea at the Ritz in the Palm Court with the harpist plaing and a glass of champagne" when in London? And what kind of people/service/experience would you expect?

No. There are sooo many places.


Disastrous said:
Good points, and your thoughts echo mine! My logic was business hotel = people who complain if it's a dump. The OH hasn't been before though, so I suspect has a romantic image of the place.

Will check out the Radisson Blu. I also have just raised my budget a bit, based on more looking!

O/T, but have you been to Harry's Bar, on "SANK, ROO DOE NOO" as the old ads had it? Looks cool for a nice cocktail but wondered if it might be trading off the old days a bit...

NDA

11,223 posts

109 months

[news] 
Sunday 30th September 2012 quote quote all
Even when I had the budget for so much more, I usually stayed here.

Close to the action, sensibly priced.... Worth NOT going for the budget rooms, as they are small.

http://www.regencia.com/en

Asterix

20,321 posts

112 months

[news] 
Sunday 30th September 2012 quote quote all
W've stayed at the Hotel Claridge before which was alright - nice and central. there was a cracking boutique hotel we stayed in in St. Germain but both of us can't remember what its called.

Disastrous

Original Poster:

4,889 posts

101 months

[news] 
Sunday 30th September 2012 quote quote all
Seti said:
I stayed hear a couple of years ago

http://www.hoteldupantheon.com/gallery.html

Had I not gone with a complete and utter bh who proceeded to treat me like st afterwards I would go back.
Looks lovely! How close to 'the action' or at least a Metro station was it?

Seti

1,816 posts

88 months

[news] 
Thursday 11th October 2012 quote quote all
Sorry, just noticed the question.

I'm afraid, you'll have to check on a map for metros - we didn't use them. Its fairly close to some fairly lively areas, nice bars and restaurants but removed enough not to be distrurbed by them at night. Probably a taxi ride into the centre of Paris,i.e. the Arc de Triomphe, but only a short one.

Disastrous

Original Poster:

4,889 posts

101 months

[news] 
Thursday 11th October 2012 quote quote all
Seti said:
Sorry, just noticed the question.

I'm afraid, you'll have to check on a map for metros - we didn't use them. Its fairly close to some fairly lively areas, nice bars and restaurants but removed enough not to be distrurbed by them at night. Probably a taxi ride into the centre of Paris,i.e. the Arc de Triomphe, but only a short one.
Thanks for replying-I actually tried to book it but it was full! Went for the Millenium Opera in the end, so fingers crossed!

Any must-go bars/restaurants?
Reply to Topic