Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Pommygranite

Original Poster:

5,687 posts

102 months

[news] 
Tuesday 2nd October 2012 quote quote all
Love my G6ET but thinking of downsizing to free up some cash for life changes.

My only criteria are that it must be:
- Auto
- Aircon equipped
- Torquey
- Under $20k
- A daily driver
- Running costs decent but fuel is fully funded by work so not an issue
- some rear seats/practicality
- not too old
- something with a bit of 'soul' would be nice.

So far I have thought about Merc 320CE, Porsche 928S4 but with limited soul - Calais, Falcon FG XR6.

What would you go for?


Bibbs

2,822 posts

96 months

[news] 
Tuesday 2nd October 2012 quote quote all
The issue is the "under $20k" ..

Everything I think of as a classic, other people seem to agree and stick a premium on.


Google [bot]

3,422 posts

67 months

[news] 
Tuesday 2nd October 2012 quote quote all
I'd get whatever Lexus LS I could for any given budget up to that kind of figure.

Can't remember who it was on here that had a not too old XJ8, that'd be nice.

XR6 is a good call, I'd go turbo. Plentiful and cheap.

ETA: Having just checked out the prices, $20k is awkward for an LS - more than I'd want to pay for a 400, not enough for a good 430, though you might. I'd probably spend up to $10k on an LS400 if I were in your position.



Edited by Google [bot] on Tuesday 2nd October 03:14

200bhp

5,132 posts

105 months

[news] 
Tuesday 2nd October 2012 quote quote all
Before coming here I was driving about in a 14 yr old Lexus, the plan being that I could easily throw it away the day before we flew. I had it for 6 months and it was one of the best cars I've ever had.

I came here seriously considering buying another but they're pretty rare and I needed a car quickly - So I bought a 3yr old Mazda 6 wagon from John Hughes.

I went out for lunch today and passed a car yard who had BMWs with galactic milage for $10k - The sort of thing you'd get in the UK for a grand.

I'd love to run a "barge" here but the sums just dont add up like they do in the UK.

I see a few Mercedes 190 around - In the UK they have rust problems. Do cars tend to suffer with rust over here?

XB70

1,864 posts

82 months

[news] 
Tuesday 2nd October 2012 quote quote all
There is a decent looking Lexus ES300 (we did not get them in the UK) on Sydney Gumtree for less than your budget. It is in Wahroonga
Advertisement

mat1227

365 posts

104 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
In exactly the same position (nearer $12-15k). Paying the equivalent of very good E46 M3/E39 M5 money back home for what are effectively leggy barges is hugely upsetting.

Although I do keep getting distracted by these which seem weirdly good value (until something goes wrong)..
http://www.carsales.com.au/car/brand%20new/dealer/...

Barging doesn't really exist in the same way, but weirdly it's not like the cars are any better kept either frown
I recall a thread in which someone else in our position just ended up giving in and going for automotive white goods, a $6k Camry. Sad

Interested to hear what other creative solutions people in the same place have arrived at

Google [bot]

3,422 posts

67 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
mat1227 said:
I recall a thread in which someone else in our position just ended up giving in and going for automotive white goods, a $6k Camry. Sad
That would have been my thread, and it's a $3k Camry VIENTA and I still have it 3 years on and it's still awesome thumbup Love it.

Colonial

11,297 posts

91 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
Google [bot] said:
mat1227 said:
I recall a thread in which someone else in our position just ended up giving in and going for automotive white goods, a $6k Camry. Sad
That would have been my thread, and it's a $3k Camry VIENTA and I still have it 3 years on and it's still awesome thumbup Love it.
I can testify to this.

Smoked me away from the lights one day tongue out

Barging only works from 3k on. Below that and it's hard to find anything decent.

That said, am I the only one that really, really fancies a Eunos 800M?

Google [bot]

3,422 posts

67 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
Colonial said:
I can testify to this.

Smoked me away from the lights one day tongue out
rofl I'd forgotten about that thumbup

pm me your address I have a present for you.

Pommygranite

Original Poster:

5,687 posts

102 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
Cheers chaps - few ideas.

I agree, some complete crap for a lot of money and am just going to get a $6k snotter if I can't find anything decent.

An LS would be nice. An XR6T also ok as have a G6T which is nice so turbo power is agreeable.

I have found this http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/mercede... which looks good (take off chrome arch trims and change wheels to proper of the period CE rims).

Need to sell mine at some point but not looking forward to that. Dealers ask the earth and give terribly px prices - I was offered $30k on my 2010 G6T with 32k kms. Understandable but annoys a bit.

mat1227

365 posts

104 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
Google [bot] said:
That would have been my thread, and it's a $3k Camry VIENTA and I still have it 3 years on and it's still awesome thumbup Love it.
Ha - I wasn't disparaging the mighty Camry mate, promise biggrin just making the point that 2 and a bit years on that way of doing things is starting to look sensible. In fact, hours sat in Eastern Suburbs traffic in my manual Alfa has left me mulling over a two car solution involving Camry/Verada thingie/Falcodore then something more interesting for weekends.

A lot to be said for aircon/auto and a decent stereo.

Latest train of thought (if it has to be just the one car) is a VXish Commodore SS that would be a nice way to get a bit of character (exhaust note & delivery) in something that is reliable and suitable for conditions. Hmmmmm

Anyway mustn't hijack, best of luck OP smile following with interest

mat1227

365 posts

104 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
ps. 800m -> absolutely know what you mean. Always intrigued me in a decidedly "moth to a flame" kind of way..

Colonial

11,297 posts

91 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
mat1227 said:
Ha - I wasn't disparaging the mighty Camry mate, promise biggrin just making the point that 2 and a bit years on that way of doing things is starting to look sensible. In fact, hours sat in Eastern Suburbs traffic in my manual Alfa has left me mulling over a two car solution involving Camry/Verada thingie/Falcodore then something more interesting for weekends.

A lot to be said for aircon/auto and a decent stereo.

Latest train of thought (if it has to be just the one car) is a VXish Commodore SS that would be a nice way to get a bit of character (exhaust note & delivery) in something that is reliable and suitable for conditions. Hmmmmm

Anyway mustn't hijack, best of luck OP smile following with interest
I had that crisis dealing with lower north shore traffic and driving a manual.

So I moved to Newcastle biggrin

There's about 5 800Ms in Sydney on gumtree. All of them say words to the effect of burning oil/blowing smoke, but damn it, they are just right in an early 90s Japanese way.

mat1227

365 posts

104 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
@colonial - maybe I'm approaching this all wrong.. scratchchin

biggrin

I've started a poll should that approach fall through smile , as I was keen not to hijack - would appreciate your thoughts paperbag

Burnedout

478 posts

76 months

[news] 
Thursday 4th October 2012 quote quote all
Buying a Benz or other Euro out here will hurt you deeply when having to pay for parts. A friend has or had an X5 Bimmer and heard a noise on the freeway over here. she took it to the Bimmer dealer and they reported a fan blade had broken off the plastic cooling fan up front...... All Ok, she says fit one.... after a pause the spare part bloke told her a new fan was $2400.00 just to buy off the shelf and fitting would be extra.
Euro parts charges out here are what keeps the local Euro Dealers in business.

Google [bot]

3,422 posts

67 months

[news] 
Thursday 4th October 2012 quote quote all
WRT Merc's of that era; they don't have the soft bargey attraction, they feel too hard IMHO, which disappoints me, because I thought I'd love one. I was for a while set on a W124 300e/ce until I drove one.

ariddell

438 posts

115 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
I've been very happy with the x300 Jag I bought a while back, it's no longer doing daily commute duty but is a fantastic thing to drive, totally whafty and relaxing but still quick enough when it needs to be.

Mine is on 330,000KMs now and seeing others going by on carsales with 400+ starting about the $6.5k mark so no issues with longevity and the x300 seems to be pick of the bunch for reliability.

So as with the other thread, my money would prob be on a Jag for the balance of barge luxury with soul and still an enjoyable involving drive when it needs to be.

On a $20k budget you'd be easily into finding a really good 6-cyl supercharged XJR or early v8 one if you're braver with the possible engine issues (tensioners/water pumps/etc).

Cheers,

Al

Google [bot]

3,422 posts

67 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
ariddell said:
I've been very happy with the x300 Jag I bought a while back, it's no longer doing daily commute duty but is a fantastic thing to drive, totally whafty and relaxing but still quick enough when it needs to be.

Mine is on 330,000KMs now and seeing others going by on carsales with 400+ starting about the $6.5k mark so no issues with longevity and the x300 seems to be pick of the bunch for reliability.

So as with the other thread, my money would prob be on a Jag for the balance of barge luxury with soul and still an enjoyable involving drive when it needs to be.

On a $20k budget you'd be easily into finding a really good 6-cyl supercharged XJR or early v8 one if you're braver with the possible engine issues (tensioners/water pumps/etc).

Cheers,

Al
Now you're talking. And got me thinking Jag thoughts again...

PomBstard

1,787 posts

128 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
Get out ov ze vay!!!

$6k and rego to next September

Big Merc


toby9980

65 posts

72 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
Hi All

Again yep second hand market here is astonishingly high.

Did have a bit of luck and picked up a 1992 BMW 535i, auto, air-con and all that including a pretty much immaculate black leather interior and on 276000kms for $2500 but then replaced the brakes so effectively cost me
$3200 still pretty good for here and i think they are all pretty much non existent back home now.

I am looking for a classic though, in need of some work. Again finding something in price range is soooo difficult!!
2
Reply to Topic