A question/musing for expats living in Aus, if I may.
To avoid hijacking a similar thread, I'd love some input as I struggle for options.
I'm after something that meets these criteria - a cheapish daily drive, mainly for weekend stuff, maybe the odd road trip or run to work and back:
A bit (lot?) of petrolhead character
Remotely sensible with potholes (Sydney is awful)
Specialist parts and labour that are cheaper than my current Alfa 916 GTV (!)
Most (all) depreciation done and dusted
- Would be nice
Ticks one of the major petrolhead boxes (turbo, wafty barge, V8, manual gearbox, something without a roof)
A bit of space (maybe pop some camping gear in the back from time to time)
- maybe*, and this is a stretch, something that wouldn't get ruined by a trip to the beach or down a gravel road once in a while. Not "fragile"
Basically interesting petrolhead stuff.
This'd be an easy call in the UK with a load of decent metal for 1-5 large, but the usual suspects here seem entirely absent. No kids or anything like that to think about, and don't do heaps of mileage so fuel not a worry.
I've found myself looking at the following:
- LS400. I had a Soarer and while the rest of it was a pup, I loved the engine. A bit sedate, dodgy air suspension and complex electrics?
- Old mercs. W124s (300te), W123s (280e), W126s (420se, 500se). Lovely in character terms, age well I reckon - but I guess most of them are heaps?
- Some very tasty looking Mk3 Jags/Daimlers around from time to time. Maybe even an XJ40. Age badly?
- R33 GTST Skylines seem to be about the only things that are kind of decent value here. Would definitely scratch a decent automotive itch but seem to attract the sort of people that aren't great to deal with (and nearly all are horribly "tuned" in a way that would make me worry with a hot summer around the corner)
- Occasionally see nice E28 and E34 535s pop up, but they are sometimes $$ for what they are (especially the former)
- Bugeye Impreza wagons, or maybe a Forester GT? Loads of them around.
- err.. MX5..? I guess a roadster might not be as great as it seems if a decent summer materialises?!
Erring towards V8 Commodores (VX's) as things stand - seem like a good way of getting a little (V8) character in a way that is compatible with local conditions, and simple ish to fix if something does go wrong (?). Which ones are decent?
Aware it's a very rough and ready thing, and sounds a bit moon-on-a-stick, but convinced this must be a common situation to find yourself in as a recent (ish) expat, and very interested in the way others have solved a similar predicament?
What have you got? Any good experiences? Terrible? Something obvious I've missed?
Any inspiration greatly appreciated