Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2 3
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

wrp

Original Poster:

31 posts

22 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
Ethyl is a 2004 GTO I bought her new in November 2004. We put 95,000 miles on her with 80,000 of them being at 450+ rwhp. In May 09 we decided to go completely through it. First off the original LS1 running heads and cam for 85,000 miles only required honing, cam bearings, and rings and is back in another GTO making nearly 500 rwhp with forged internals, heads, and cam. In our build we initially started to put a 91 mm Borg Warner Turbo on but switched to a PD twin Helix Harrop HVT2300 supercharger. After getting it together we decided to go with the 4.0 Liter Whipple to see how far we could take the Texas Speed and Power built 408 LQ9 Engine.



The engine. We started with a LQ9 Iron Block built by Texas Speed. It has Diamond Pistons, Eagle Rods, and an Eagle Forged Crank. The entire rotating assembly is coated and the pistons are a -28cc dish. We put ETP 245 heads on the car and retained the 1 7/8 inch Kooks Headers.



Fabrication. We relocated the ECM to inside the drivers compartment and fabricated a coil pack relocation scheme with some modified GM Performance Valve Covers to clean up the appearance. We fabricated a reservoir with a front mounted heat exchanger. We fabricated the intake for the supercharger and the brace for the snout pulley,





Forced Induction. We started out intending to put a Borg Warner 91 mm Turbo on it but went with a Harrop HVT2300. Our goal was 20 lbs of boost since the engine was built to go to 1500 HP. The Harrop maxed out around 18 lbs so we went with the Whipple Sand Rail 4.0 Liter Supercharger Kit. That Supercharger is a beast. We have seen 19 lbs of boost on the engine on the Serpentine belts with the OEM pulleys. We also replaced the 2004 GTO radiator with a 2005 Radiator to eliminate the large fender mounted catch can.



Cooling Includes an 05 GTO radiator and a Moroso remote mounted electric water pump. We used an aftermarket heat exchanger off a Cobra and a Moroso Heat Exchanger Reservoir which is trunk Mounted. We wired three fans behind the heat exchanger to pull air through them. A Flex-Cool low profile fan completed the setup.



Cog Drive. The Serpentine belts could not hold so we added a custom foabricated cog drive using Procharger and some custom designed and fabricated parts. We had to work through a serise of issues including the snout not holding up to the demands. We designed and fabricated a unique cradle for the snout and top sprocket. Once we were with the cog drive it became apparent the 80 lbs Siemns injectors could not keep up. Also the IAT's were high and the car did not respond well to meth. We installed Bosch/ID 2000 cc injectors and converted the car to E85. We've been able to consistently hold the car at 23 lbs of boost though the Aeromotive A1000 is max'd out. The current setup is a fuill return system using a combination of Aeromotive and custom fabricated parts.



Transmission. We could not get a T56 to stay together so we had RPM transmissions build a T56 Magnum with a GForce 9310 dog cut gear set, micropolished by Liberty Gears. The setup was awesome and scheduled be installed with a Monster Triple Disk clutch. Unfortunately the Transmission took so long to deliver we had already gone to FTI for a Stage 5 TH400 by the time it arrived. Reluctantly we dissassembled the T56 Magnum and sold the parts for scrap. We have the TH400 in now.





Drivetrain. We overpowered the OEM drivetrain so We turned our attention to GForce1320's 9 inch Ford IRS. We are using a Wavetrac 35 spline differential with 200 mm GForce axles. The car has tubs, and a GForce1320 coil over kit, We will be running 14.5 inch slicks on 15 by 10 Holeshot Rims with 15 by 4 inch skinnies on the front. Currently have MT ET DRs, 295 by 55 by 15s on it.



Finishing touches. SNL put a Kook's afterburner 3" exhaust on the car. We added a FireCharger fire suppression system and Prosport AFR/Boost gauges. We've installed an RPM Rollbar and B&M Quicksilver Shifter. We also installed a 100 shot on top of everything as it seems to help IAT's a bit. We have a shop standing by to do the hood when we get everything else finished.

Suspension. Lovell's suspension components from Kollar Racing will replace every component in the suspension with new bushings, and fittings. We are also going to the Lovell's 90/10 struts as the car will work mostly on the strip once completed. We still need to complete the hood, add the Roll Cage, and completely repaint the body to finish the build.

Here she is putting down 969/1110 on the dyno with a failing clutch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65O4rfLVXRI

A few more pulls with the serpentine belt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUQvm32erlg&fea...

Prolly my favorite pulls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGlBm6uQ0SI&fea...

Any constraints on activities posted?

Edited by wrp on Wednesday 3rd October 17:07

5potTurbo

4,252 posts

52 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
Hubba fking hubba!
I normally don't like large engined American cars, sorry, but this one just caused me to do a little sex wee!


It's mental: I salute you, sir.

Dave Hedgehog

7,098 posts

88 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
love it smile

wrp

Original Poster:

31 posts

22 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
Have to confess one of life's pleasures is to pull up beside a Bugatti Veyron and notice he is so down on power. smile Most Americans sort of consider this an Australian Car

Check this vid out, look at about the 22 second mark....I don't think this vid is work safe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrHjEVLNgok

And I have really lined up against a Veyron, what a beautiful car they are. I think this is the one that later went off the road into the bay in Houston Texas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_ym7V3NPPk

Edited by wrp on Wednesday 3rd October 15:38

Dave Hedgehog

7,098 posts

88 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
wrp said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_ym7V3NPPk

Edited by wrp on Wednesday 3rd October 15:38
and when i heard you speak all i could think was "squeal piggy squeal"

sorry frown
Advertisement

Munter

25,057 posts

125 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
I have no idea what 1/2 of the stuff you mentioned is.

But you do appear to have built a totally mental car. Good work! smile

007 VXR

60,326 posts

71 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
fk my old boots yikes
Top work thumbup

wrp

Original Poster:

31 posts

22 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
Dave Hedgehog said:
wrp said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_ym7V3NPPk

Edited by wrp on Wednesday 3rd October 15:38
and when i heard you speak all i could think was "squeal piggy squeal"

sorry frown
No worries mate, we get less selective over who we bugger as we consume more and more alcohol...which we call white whiskey smile



This guy was sort of butthurt when we made him squeal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXILjvEJXTY

Edited by wrp on Wednesday 3rd October 16:50


Edited by wrp on Wednesday 3rd October 16:52

Dave Hedgehog

7,098 posts

88 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
wrp said:
Dave Hedgehog said:
wrp said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_ym7V3NPPk

Edited by wrp on Wednesday 3rd October 15:38
and when i heard you speak all i could think was "squeal piggy squeal"

sorry frown
No worries mate, we get less selective over who we bugger as we consume more and more alcohol...which we call white whiskey smile



This guy was sort of butthurt when we made him squeal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXILjvEJXTY

Edited by wrp on Wednesday 3rd October 16:50
just don't tell me you have an SR15, or i will go greener than the hulk frown

LiamB

6,504 posts

27 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
So, my understanding is;

You put the thing in the thing then you put some more of those things on the doo dah, then you get a big engine and have massive power and torque outputs?

Nice.


Absolutely mental car.
Top work.

wrp

Original Poster:

31 posts

22 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
Dave Hedgehog said:
wrp said:
Dave Hedgehog said:
wrp said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_ym7V3NPPk

Edited by wrp on Wednesday 3rd October 15:38
and when i heard you speak all i could think was "squeal piggy squeal"

sorry frown
No worries mate, we get less selective over who we bugger as we consume more and more alcohol...which we call white whiskey smile



This guy was sort of butthurt when we made him squeal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXILjvEJXTY

Edited by wrp on Wednesday 3rd October 16:50
just don't tell me you have an SR15, or i will go greener than the hulk frown
We're a John Deere shop here.



wrp

Original Poster:

31 posts

22 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
LiamB said:
So, my understanding is;

You put the thing in the thing then you put some more of those things on the doo dah, then you get a big engine and have massive power and torque outputs?

Nice.


Absolutely mental car.
Top work.
Actually I am pretty old. I've really gone crazy, they just don't know it. Yet. You can tell you are getting there when you come home and the Local Police Department has erected a portable radar machine in your front yard. Problem with that is it represents a challenge that cannot be allowed to go un responded to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qgyllhu9Yk



wrp

Original Poster:

31 posts

22 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
Sheesh, I am off to a bad start here, can a moderator change the title to something more appropriate? Ethyl-My 2004 Pontiac GTO

gsd2000

11,081 posts

67 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
Love it, I've read your build on ls1tech and ls1gto multiple times.

Love the lunacy

gsd2000

11,081 posts

67 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
how did you activate the shift light

007 VXR

60,326 posts

71 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
wrp said:
Sheesh, I am off to a bad start here, can a moderator change the title to something more appropriate? Ethyl-My 2004 Pontiac GTO
You can change it but pushing the "report" button on the top right of this post yes


wormus

5,976 posts

87 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
I've looked at your car many, many times on the internet so feed my own need for (Monaro) supercharged power. Settled for the TVS2300 blower but really want a 4 litre Whipple. Seeing what you've been through, the lack of traction and bonnet (hood) really put me off trying to go where you have.

Fair play though, that is one mental car. I admire you!

Here's mine...




Edited by wormus on Wednesday 3rd October 20:04

wrp

Original Poster:

31 posts

22 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
wormus said:
I've looked at your car many, many times on the internet so feed my own need for (Monaro) supercharged power. Settled for the TVS2300 blower but really want a 4 litre Whipple. Seeing what you've been through, the lack of traction and bonnet (hood) really put me off trying to go where you have.

Fair play though, that is one mental car. I admire you!

Here's mine...




Edited by wormus on Wednesday 3rd October 20:04
Thanks. I must be honest I would have been quite content with the 2.3 Harrop or a 2.3 TVS. The stock Bonnet fit without alteration and the car made plenty of power. The engine was built to go to 1500 BHP and I hated to leave that much on the table. We actually got 800/800 with the HVT. Hope to have a hood solution soon.

gsd2000

11,081 posts

67 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
I just love how you added a 100 shot of nitrous for good measure

ARAF

16,616 posts

107 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
wrp said:
The engine was built to go to 1500 BHP and I hated to leave that much on the table.
laugh

That's man-maths at work. cool
2 3
Reply to Topic