Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1
3
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Dr mojo

Original Poster:

87 posts

62 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
Thank you for the responses. I am not arguing on whether it is a wear and tear item as it clearly is and yes I do mainly stop - start driving and it may well be on its original clutch. That said I have never had a clutch fail in my previous cars including my M3 but hey may be I am getting older or traffic getting worse! I was not clear about the flywheel. Does that always need replacing as well? What does it do and why would it go? In terms of goodwill I was thinking of asking for a 10-15% discount is that unrealistic?

hopeydaze

130 posts

33 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
Others can explain better than me what the clutch plate does. In my experience of other cars (well, old Land Rovers) the view is always to replace the clutch plate as well on the basis that you have already taken it apart and it's an easy thing to do. But, those clutch plates are cheap.

10% discount - you should get that by saying you are a member of the Porsche Club or TIPEC so i would go for a bit more, and tell them what a local indie is quoting.

REALIST123

3,377 posts

36 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
hopeydaze said:
Others can explain better than me what the clutch plate does. In my experience of other cars (well, old Land Rovers) the view is always to replace the clutch plate as well on the basis that you have already taken it apart and it's an easy thing to do. But, those clutch plates are cheap.

10% discount - you should get that by saying you are a member of the Porsche Club or TIPEC so i would go for a bit more, and tell them what a local indie is quoting.
...always best to replace eye clutch plate? Of course it is, that's the bit that wears first. Otherwise, correctly, known as the friction plate.

The flywheel (which I think you meant to say wink ) is a different matter. Shouldn't always need changing, and won't be that cheap.


201CHY

37 posts

31 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
fyi-having the clutch done at an independent will not void your warranty.

coanda

1,873 posts

73 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
hopeydaze said:
Others can explain better than me what the clutch plate does. In my experience of other cars (well, old Land Rovers) the view is always to replace the clutch plate as well on the basis that you have already taken it apart and it's an easy thing to do. But, those clutch plates are cheap.

10% discount - you should get that by saying you are a member of the Porsche Club or TIPEC so i would go for a bit more, and tell them what a local indie is quoting.
Ha, one Opc I went to claimed not to know who tipec were!
Advertisement

Nano2nd

2,404 posts

139 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
201CHY said:
fyi-having the clutch done at an independent will not void your warranty.
Unfortunately it will

IanHug

354 posts

120 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
Nano2nd said:
Unfortunately it will
No it won't

Slaav

2,142 posts

93 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
I believe it will!

If extended Warranty - it definitely will!!!!! No question at all smile

If manufacturer warranty, then as long as OEM etc, I believe Euro law says it wont; good luck then getting the extended Warranty! frown

IanHug

354 posts

120 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
Slaav said:
I believe it will!

If extended Warranty - it definitely will!!!!! No question at all smile

If manufacturer warranty, then as long as OEM etc, I believe Euro law says it wont; good luck then getting the extended Warranty! frown
Have you got an extended warranty?

201CHY

37 posts

31 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
Clutch, brake pads and discs can all be changed at an indy without voiding extended warranty....mine has been renewed after undertaking all mentioned, I checked with two OPC's and have had warranty work done since without any probs. I find the warranty restrictive only in that it provides no other option other than to take up the very pricey PSE if retrofitting.

Slaav

2,142 posts

93 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
IanHug said:
Slaav said:
I believe it will!

If extended Warranty - it definitely will!!!!! No question at all smile

If manufacturer warranty, then as long as OEM etc, I believe Euro law says it wont; good luck then getting the extended Warranty! frown
Have you got an extended warranty?
I think the Warranty issue has been done to death on here re extended Warranty vs Manufacturer's warranty etc.

My understanding is that many OPCs just want to do the Warranty work and as long as it is not too major, then the Warranty provider doesnt dig too deep. If you have an engine failure and they will inspect properly; I would not want to bet that they accept and fix under warranty if you have had most comsumables replaced elsewhere.

And yes, I have extended Warranty and am out of pocket considerably as a result. But I can sleep at night!

If INdies have worked on your car, my understanding (and I believe it to be true) is that the warranty is void technically. Changing some coils etc will most likely get through but blown engine?

MrTickle

1,641 posts

122 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
Slaav said:
I think the Warranty issue has been done to death on here re extended Warranty vs Manufacturer's warranty etc.

My understanding is that many OPCs just want to do the Warranty work and as long as it is not too major, then the Warranty provider doesnt dig too deep. If you have an engine failure and they will inspect properly; I would not want to bet that they accept and fix under warranty if you have had most comsumables replaced elsewhere.

And yes, I have extended Warranty and am out of pocket considerably as a result. But I can sleep at night!

If INdies have worked on your car, my understanding (and I believe it to be true) is that the warranty is void technically. Changing some coils etc will most likely get through but blown engine?
^^^^ This!

mollytherocker

10,648 posts

92 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
mrdemon said:
but also holding the car at lights just on clutch,
I see people doing this every day and it makes me wince.

Mtr

Chrisp5782

327 posts

21 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
Mate, I'd be looking to see if the OPC would help out with cost, 27,000 miles is not long for a clutch even if the car has been driven hard or in stop/start traffic.

I've got an '07 2.7 Cayman (very similar clutch and flywheel)and I had mine changed (with genuine Porsche parts), along with an RMS and new exhaust bolts for £1446 at John Bull Specialist cars - OPC wanted £1895 for the same job without RMS and bolts.

So, what am I saying, take it to a good independant if they won't help with the cost.

Where abouts are you in the country?

Chrisp5782

327 posts

21 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
Dr mojo said:
Thank you for the responses. I am not arguing on whether it is a wear and tear item as it clearly is and yes I do mainly stop - start driving and it may well be on its original clutch. That said I have never had a clutch fail in my previous cars including my M3 but hey may be I am getting older or traffic getting worse! I was not clear about the flywheel. Does that always need replacing as well? What does it do and why would it go? In terms of goodwill I was thinking of asking for a 10-15% discount is that unrealistic?
As a rule of thumb the flywheel gets changed at the same time. The silicone that provides the damping in the dual mass flywheel tends to heat up and degrade meaning the clutch action gets a bit harsh (i.e bangs into gear rather than a smooth shift) as there is little damping left before the drive lugs catch. You might not notice it until you have a new clutch/flywheel but when you have you REALLY notice how smooth things have become!

Nano2nd

2,404 posts

139 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
IanHug said:
No it won't
do you have an extended warranty? the T&C's clearly state that no-one other than Porsche can work on the car.

cay

192 posts

39 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
This really has been done to death.

I have an extended warranty.

It DOES NOT say work has to be carried out by Porsche, anywhere, period.

Maybe the T&Cs have changed over time. Mine is from April 2011.

Nano2nd

2,404 posts

139 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
cay said:
This really has been done to death.

I have an extended warranty.

It DOES NOT say work has to be carried out by Porsche, anywhere, period.

Maybe the T&Cs have changed over time. Mine is from April 2011.
yes they have changed sometime late last year, my July 2011 warranty only stated the work should be done to a Porsche standard not necessarily by Porsche themselves... since late last year (don't know the exact date) this changed and it clearly states that no work should be carried out by anyone other than Porsche - as confirmed in the Terms and Conditions for the warranty i bought in July this year.

Nano2nd

2,404 posts

139 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
forgot to say, based on the OP buying the car 13 months ago he could be okay and on the old terms... which obviously means he could get an indy to do it with genuine parts.

mrdemon

5,253 posts

148 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
if you get a clutch fitted by a indy, how will Porsche refuse your extended warranty on the 111 check.

They are not even going to know if the cars had a new clutch.
1
3
Reply to Topic