Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1
3 4 5
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

BalhamBadger

1,104 posts

61 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
NCC said:
I was born in Blackpool and live in Halifax, so I kind of feel obliged to do the honourable thing and drive a TVR and ride a 5. Shameless plug of the new respray.



Rides great. As has been said before, there are cheaper, more modern, better(?) bikes out there but this just does what I want it to.
Nice.

custardkid

2,028 posts

112 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
The best bikes!

Had a 2004 sub 5

Changed it in 2010, rode every thing out there including lapierre, etc

The only thing that came close was a Santa Cruz bullet, but the finishing kit (hope) swung it back in the direction of the 5, loving it. Run a 160mm bomber fork for trail centre riding

5s just have an up and at'um riding style that other bikes don't have

Custard

Edited by custardkid on Monday 8th October 03:22

Twistygit

503 posts

41 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
What about a alpine 160 they are still light enough to pedal but a bit more weight for the rough stuff and jumps

ysnnim

231 posts

119 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
The're great bits of kit. Simple frame design just works, and is easy to maintain. Confidence inspiring, stable, predictable, excellent downhill, not too bad up either.

Would also look at Lapierre Zesty.. done a fair bit of riding on those as well, and they are also great bikes..

Jimbo.

2,896 posts

77 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
Twistygit said:
What about a alpine 160 they are still light enough to pedal but a bit more weight for the rough stuff and jumps
A touch overkill for most UK riding, although that said I know a couple of guys who use(d) them for the Enduro series and loved them.

Used one in the Alps, and it was a giggle, if a touch "XC-ish" against what I was used to/expecting. No bad thing as it could be made to dance when the need arose!
Advertisement

jenkotvr

Original Poster:

643 posts

62 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
Alpine 160 is slightly overkill for what I want...I have the 224 for the big stuff.

Well the mind is set, got to be a five smile

I will definatly run coil forks; I used to run a set on the Yeti, never had any issues.


GSP

1,861 posts

92 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
I ride a Five AM, bought it as a Five Pro but it wasn't really cut out for my heavy handedness so went for a CCDB and 160 forks.

A fellow rider spitting on my bike



handles almost everything with ease now



160 fork do make climbing not quite as nice, the front ends up a bit to slack... the CCDB despite the extra weight improves everything, grip and traction when climbing being the most notable improvement.

996 sps

6,071 posts

104 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
GSP said:
I ride a Five AM, bought it as a Five Pro but it wasn't really cut out for my heavy handedness so went for a CCDB and 160 forks.

A fellow rider spitting on my bike



handles almost everything with ease now



160 fork do make climbing not quite as nice, the front ends up a bit to slack... the CCDB despite the extra weight improves everything, grip and traction when climbing being the most notable improvement.
Thats cool!

GSP

1,861 posts

92 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
996 sps said:
GSP said:
I ride a Five AM, bought it as a Five Pro but it wasn't really cut out for my heavy handedness so went for a CCDB and 160 forks.

A fellow rider spitting on my bike



handles almost everything with ease now



160 fork do make climbing not quite as nice, the front ends up a bit to slack... the CCDB despite the extra weight improves everything, grip and traction when climbing being the most notable improvement.
Thats cool!
It was, very cool, 6c in fact... the day before it was 37c frownwink

It would have been better if we were 'in the clouds for 5 minutes' but it was like that for the entire 85kms of the event... horrible.

More 160mm images though



and a pic after fitting stronger rims, 200mm discs and getting rid of the awful reverb that kept breaking.


Mr E

15,671 posts

147 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
I have been on rides where everyone except me was on a five.

missing the VR6

1,674 posts

77 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
Sorry for the hijak, but what's the deal with the CCDB or similar Fox coil rear?

GSP

1,861 posts

92 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
Transforms the Five, and really suits the basic single pivot rear. coil read shocks arn't for everyone, or every bike, CCDB on my mates nomad is terrible.

The modern air shocks (I had an Factory Kashima coated RP23 at almost the same cost as the cane creek) and it was terrible, they are designed for lighter modern designed bikes, even with 240psi in it would blow straight through the travel.

jenkotvr

Original Poster:

643 posts

62 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
GSP said:
even with 240psi in it would blow straight through the travel.
I'm surprised at this, I would want to run air only to keep the weight down.

Is there much 'bob' when climbing (with pro pedal)?



Digga

13,912 posts

171 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
NCC said:
I was born in Blackpool and live in Halifax, so I kind of feel obliged to do the honourable thing and drive a TVR and ride a 5. Shameless plug of the new respray.



Rides great. As has been said before, there are cheaper, more modern, better(?) bikes out there but this just does what I want it to.
Only just spotted you on here - a fellow Twisted Wheeler no less! biggrin

GSP

1,861 posts

92 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
jenkotvr said:
GSP said:
even with 240psi in it would blow straight through the travel.
I'm surprised at this, I would want to run air only to keep the weight down.

Is there much 'bob' when climbing (with pro pedal)?
No a huge amount of bob with pro pedal on at all. There's even less on a perfectly set up cane creek.

The factory RP23 is a lot lighter in comparison, but we are talking about an already heavy bike, fitted with a light shock designed for modern multipivot frames. I'd rather have what works best and the weight is only the difference between a good poo. If you were racing or a slender skinny racing snake I could understand, but most I see out and about arn't, and those that are generally don't ride fives.

Gooby

9,235 posts

122 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
I am a '5 fanboy. I am on my second and I have a top spec SE. It is utterly fantastic. I do however ride plenty of other bikes and some very exotic and incredible bikes are in some ways better. I have just spent a week on a Carbon Fibre Blur LTC in full race spec, a build costing over £7k. What a rocket, went up hills so blindingly fast it incredible. Do I want it - oh fk yes! Would I choose it over my 5 .... no.

The 5 is an all mountain all purpose bike that paints a huge grin on your face. I have ridden Afan and loads of crazy hills in Wales. The 5 goes up, rockets down, makes you very happy and does not break down. I have ridden enduros against far more suited machinery and after 100 miles of the south downs in one day it was ready to go back (rider was broken)

The design is not old, it has evolved over many generations since the beginning of mountainbiking and it keeps on getting better. It has been trail bike of the year MANY times.

It is however a marmite bike. I love it, many dont. You can exploit many different characteristics with careful component choice. Mine is reasonably light (just under 27 lbs, when clean). I have ridden CF bikes at 22lbs and the lightness does make a huge difference. You couldnt ride the 22lb bike 100 miles and you couldnt ride it all winter long. Simply because of components mine feels lighter than it weight suggests and feels far more "racey" than a pro model.

It does however come down to what you want to do on the bike. If you want to win races all day long, there are more competitive bikes out there. If you want to ride all day and grin at every oppertunity then you wont find better. It "feels" great. If you want to ride all day, every day and not have to take it to the LBS for repair after repair then the 5 is for you. If you want something that is tough enough to bounce off black, blue and red runs, throw it in the back of the shed, then ride it around the local woods next day then bag a 5.

There are a few myths;
1) 5s dont climb.
Rubbish. they climb very well for a bike with downhill geo. To make it easier spec talas forks and just drop the front end at the bottom of the hill and hey presto.
2) the rear end has loads of slop.
NO WAY, they are built from girders. If you think it is a problem then spec the maxle rear end and have a very rigid bike.
3) Loads of pedal bob.
Yeah, there is stacks of it if you cant set up the shock properly. RP23 has a pro pedal button, this isolates most of the bob when you are simply pedaling and if it still bobbing you have set it up wrong (same as any bike)

If it feels lazy then swap out for a short stem.

The only problem is that it is a very forgiving bike to ride that inspires loads of confidence. So much confidence it can make a rider feel invincible and lead to silly accidents.

If it is marmite and you dont get it then... so what. Love your ride whatever it may be.

Gooby

9,235 posts

122 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
Twistygit said:
What about a alpine 160 they are still light enough to pedal but a bit more weight for the rough stuff and jumps
There is very litttle in the UK that would require a 160. If you were a morzine regular then it is perfect or if you were hitting the jump parks.

For UK riding I would choose the 29er over the 160.

As an alternative, I would look at a santa cruz blur. Beautiful bikes and the LTC is blindingly quick too low on the BB for really rough stuff but if you want to feel what a 5 would be if it were to grow up, throw a leg over the LTC.

Lapierre felt too much lie a Trek to me. Goes up hill really well though....

Edited by Gooby on Tuesday 9th October 13:09

996 sps

6,071 posts

104 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
Gooby said:
I am a '5 fanboy. I am on my second and I have a top spec SE. It is utterly fantastic. I do however ride plenty of other bikes and some very exotic and incredible bikes are in some ways better. I have just spent a week on a Carbon Fibre Blur LTC in full race spec, a build costing over £7k. What a rocket, went up hills so blindingly fast it incredible. Do I want it - oh fk yes! Would I choose it over my 5 .... no.

The 5 is an all mountain all purpose bike that paints a huge grin on your face. I have ridden Afan and loads of crazy hills in Wales. The 5 goes up, rockets down, makes you very happy and does not break down. I have ridden enduros against far more suited machinery and after 100 miles of the south downs in one day it was ready to go back (rider was broken)

The design is not old, it has evolved over many generations since the beginning of mountainbiking and it keeps on getting better. It has been trail bike of the year MANY times.

It is however a marmite bike. I love it, many dont. You can exploit many different characteristics with careful component choice. Mine is reasonably light (just under 27 lbs, when clean). I have ridden CF bikes at 22lbs and the lightness does make a huge difference. You couldnt ride the 22lb bike 100 miles and you couldnt ride it all winter long. Simply because of components mine feels lighter than it weight suggests and feels far more "racey" than a pro model.

It does however come down to what you want to do on the bike. If you want to win races all day long, there are more competitive bikes out there. If you want to ride all day and grin at every oppertunity then you wont find better. It "feels" great. If you want to ride all day, every day and not have to take it to the LBS for repair after repair then the 5 is for you. If you want something that is tough enough to bounce off black, blue and red runs, throw it in the back of the shed, then ride it around the local woods next day then bag a 5.

There are a few myths;
1) 5s dont climb.
Rubbish. they climb very well for a bike with downhill geo. To make it easier spec talas forks and just drop the front end at the bottom of the hill and hey presto.
2) the rear end has loads of slop.
NO WAY, they are built from girders. If you think it is a problem then spec the maxle rear end and have a very rigid bike.
3) Loads of pedal bob.
Yeah, there is stacks of it if you cant set up the shock properly. RP23 has a pro pedal button, this isolates most of the bob when you are simply pedaling and if it still bobbing you have set it up wrong (same as any bike)

If it feels lazy then swap out for a short stem.

The only problem is that it is a very forgiving bike to ride that inspires loads of confidence. So much confidence it can make a rider feel invincible and lead to silly accidents.

If it is marmite and you dont get it then... so what. Love your ride whatever it may be.
Cheers for this my obsession with 5's begins again!! I accepted a Giant Anthem was all I needed.....

jenkotvr

Original Poster:

643 posts

62 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
996 sps said:
Gooby said:
I am a '5 fanboy. I am on my second and I have a top spec SE. It is utterly fantastic. I do however ride plenty of other bikes and some very exotic and incredible bikes are in some ways better. I have just spent a week on a Carbon Fibre Blur LTC in full race spec, a build costing over £7k. What a rocket, went up hills so blindingly fast it incredible. Do I want it - oh fk yes! Would I choose it over my 5 .... no.

The 5 is an all mountain all purpose bike that paints a huge grin on your face. I have ridden Afan and loads of crazy hills in Wales. The 5 goes up, rockets down, makes you very happy and does not break down. I have ridden enduros against far more suited machinery and after 100 miles of the south downs in one day it was ready to go back (rider was broken)

The design is not old, it has evolved over many generations since the beginning of mountainbiking and it keeps on getting better. It has been trail bike of the year MANY times.

It is however a marmite bike. I love it, many dont. You can exploit many different characteristics with careful component choice. Mine is reasonably light (just under 27 lbs, when clean). I have ridden CF bikes at 22lbs and the lightness does make a huge difference. You couldnt ride the 22lb bike 100 miles and you couldnt ride it all winter long. Simply because of components mine feels lighter than it weight suggests and feels far more "racey" than a pro model.

It does however come down to what you want to do on the bike. If you want to win races all day long, there are more competitive bikes out there. If you want to ride all day and grin at every oppertunity then you wont find better. It "feels" great. If you want to ride all day, every day and not have to take it to the LBS for repair after repair then the 5 is for you. If you want something that is tough enough to bounce off black, blue and red runs, throw it in the back of the shed, then ride it around the local woods next day then bag a 5.

There are a few myths;
1) 5s dont climb.
Rubbish. they climb very well for a bike with downhill geo. To make it easier spec talas forks and just drop the front end at the bottom of the hill and hey presto.
2) the rear end has loads of slop.
NO WAY, they are built from girders. If you think it is a problem then spec the maxle rear end and have a very rigid bike.
3) Loads of pedal bob.
Yeah, there is stacks of it if you cant set up the shock properly. RP23 has a pro pedal button, this isolates most of the bob when you are simply pedaling and if it still bobbing you have set it up wrong (same as any bike)

If it feels lazy then swap out for a short stem.

The only problem is that it is a very forgiving bike to ride that inspires loads of confidence. So much confidence it can make a rider feel invincible and lead to silly accidents.

If it is marmite and you dont get it then... so what. Love your ride whatever it may be.
Cheers for this my obsession with 5's begins again!!
Agreed!

Gooby

9,235 posts

122 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
When I first started buying Orange (sounds like the worst tagline in the world), they were far more exclusive. Very limited to only a few thausand a year. If you had one you were part of an exclusive club.

Now things have changed a little. Any limits on production have been removed. The owner has suffered from cancer and only just survived and Orange is up for sale. It is being built up as a business so it can be sold. This is good in some ways. Orange was simply built for fans. Now in an effort to build the business, the magazines have been courted and for that publicity the bikes have to be worth it. The bikes have become better, but far less exclusive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlIYEdRFQu4&fea...
1
3 4 5
Reply to Topic