Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

AJ4N

Original Poster:

11 posts

21 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
Hopefully taking delivery of our new Boxster S in the next 2-4 weeks, yay!

So thinking about the best way to look after it and keep it looking good.

Of course the garage have offered us their version of Supaguard and said we can get it cheaper if we don't have the bag of cleaning products, which we already have 2 bags of from our previous BMW purchases and have hardly used.

We know that the garage offerings are expensive for what they are, so what alternatives are there available? and can you recommend anyone in the Berkshire area that can do it?

ChrisW.

1,715 posts

135 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
They told me if I bought this I would never have to polish the car.

So I bought it.

So far so god --- 18 months later smile

mr pg

870 posts

85 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
An Audi we bought came with Supaguard. It was hopeless. Would never have have any of these long life finishes again, but then I enjoy cleaning/polishing my cars. You can't beat proper polish/wax.

Mermaid

15,731 posts

51 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
http://www.gleamingkleen.co.uk/about-us/

Not sure if these will come out to Berkshire, but they are good. I am not connected with these people smile

KDS in Gillingham also very good.

V8A*ndy

2,089 posts

71 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
Do not use thus stuff.

Tell them to not even touch the car on arrival.

Go to detailing world and find a proper detailer in your area and have them prep the car.

I'm not saying the stuff is bad but dealer prep is usually very very poor and this stuff will seal in any buffer swirls or wash swirls.

The price they charge will get you close to the price of good detail if the car arrives in good order plus the detailer will alert you to any defects in the paint that the dealer may try to cover up prior to delivery.

Advertisement

Martian O

2,605 posts

42 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
Save your money on 'Supaguard' or whatever they call it. Put the money towards a good detail instead.

REALIST123

2,896 posts

33 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
V8A*ndy said:
Do not use thus stuff.

Tell them to not even touch the car on arrival.

Go to detailing world and find a proper detailer in your area and have them prep the car.

I'm not saying the stuff is bad but dealer prep is usually very very poor and this stuff will seal in any buffer swirls or wash swirls.

The price they charge will get you close to the price of good detail if the car arrives in good order plus the detailer will alert you to any defects in the paint that the dealer may try to cover up prior to delivery.
This. And then you take care of it. The only way.

mohitos

1,135 posts

79 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
REALIST123 said:
V8A*ndy said:
Do not use thus stuff.

Tell them to not even touch the car on arrival.

Go to detailing world and find a proper detailer in your area and have them prep the car.

I'm not saying the stuff is bad but dealer prep is usually very very poor and this stuff will seal in any buffer swirls or wash swirls.

The price they charge will get you close to the price of good detail if the car arrives in good order plus the detailer will alert you to any defects in the paint that the dealer may try to cover up prior to delivery.
This. And then you take care of it. The only way.
+1

Podro

140 posts

33 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
mohitos said:
REALIST123 said:
V8A*ndy said:
Do not use thus stuff.

Tell them to not even touch the car on arrival.

Go to detailing world and find a proper detailer in your area and have them prep the car.

I'm not saying the stuff is bad but dealer prep is usually very very poor and this stuff will seal in any buffer swirls or wash swirls.

The price they charge will get you close to the price of good detail if the car arrives in good order plus the detailer will alert you to any defects in the paint that the dealer may try to cover up prior to delivery.
This. And then you take care of it. The only way.
+1
+1

I did the same on my recent Audi purchase and with the defects the detailer found in the paint (which the dealer was explicitly told not to touch) I managed to get them to pay for the detail! The best advice I can give you beside this is apply a ceramic nano tech sealant as part of the detail, it is the best protection I have ever come across for an everyday driver. All in you should be comfortably less than the £500 or so the OPC will charge.

Stevej33

171 posts

73 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
I've had good experiences with Supagard but buy the stuff yourself and spend time putting it on and the results are good on a modern car...

I wouldn't pay hundreds for someone else to do it wrong!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/supagard-supergard-supag...

Less than twenty quid delivered!

Buster73

858 posts

33 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
When I bought my C2 I think they wanted £300 , I offered £100 inc vat and said not a penny more.

They did it at that price , still looks like new 2 years later.

Stevej33

171 posts

73 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
Buster73 said:
When I bought my C2 I think they wanted £300 , I offered £100 inc vat and said not a penny more.

They did it at that price , still looks like new 2 years later.
The going rate used to be £299 if I remember correctly...

£30+Vat to the Supagard suppliers

(About £220 net profit before paying the valet guys to apply it, instead of normal the polish)

Salesman typically got £50 commission for selling the stuff too...

Nice little earner all round!

(A pal of mine paid £750 to his local Audi Dealership for the same stuff.)


Martian O

2,605 posts

42 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
I was quoted £399 when I bought my car from an OPC (911 tax). I declined, was then offered it at £299, then £199, then £150.

Carl_Docklands

2,970 posts

142 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
AJ4N said:
Hopefully taking delivery of our new Boxster S in the next 2-4 weeks, yay!

So thinking about the best way to look after it and keep it looking good.

Of course the garage have offered us their version of Supaguard and said we can get it cheaper if we don't have the bag of cleaning products, which we already have 2 bags of from our previous BMW purchases and have hardly used.

We know that the garage offerings are expensive for what they are, so what alternatives are there available? and can you recommend anyone in the Berkshire area that can do it?
Coming to the end of my 3 year ownership of my Boxster, Supagard was well worth it.

My car has been parked outside for 3 years and we have had all sorts of records set in that time for heat, cold and rain. The car looks brand new.

I would have it detailed and re-applied after 2 years.

Do not do it yourself, if its a new car have a professional detail the car and then apply the supagard all at the same time.

I paid around £450inc for the detail+supagard, there will always be posters on here who say they can get it done cheaper elsewhere but it usually involves some sort of compromise (unless you are haggling with the OPC). Was it value for money? Well the two times I had my car detailed at OPC East London, it done by the same person, the finish was jaw slackening on both occasions.

If you have it all done at the source and pay a little extra, you can always go back to the OPC.


Edited by Carl_Docklands on Saturday 6th October 08:52

wildoliver

7,317 posts

96 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
In a previous life I used to sell this stuff.....

I warn you now the above statement sounds an awful lot like a trick that was going around when we sold it.

The kit comes with the cleaning products, no-one ever came back to buy more of them indeed most people didn't use the ones we supplied, does that mean the product was so good it didn't need topping up or it was so useless they saw through the sales flim flam? Who knows. Put it this way I wouldn't use it and I've been involved with it.

But the trick was to apply it to one car and forget to give out the cleaning products, the next car would not get it applied but get the "proof" in form of the bag of products and "warranty" card.

No-one ever noticed which probably says much for the product.

The shampoo wasn't bad though and nor was the glass cleaner/bumper cleaner which I used to use on my own cars when I took a px in with the cleaning pack still in the boot.

nickfrog

3,262 posts

97 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
It's 5p worth of paint sealant applied in 10 minutes for £300 or whatever they get away with. Literally. I would sue for attempted rape.

Far Cough

580 posts

48 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
It`s all "horses for courses" as people have differing standards of what is acceptable and what is verging on OCD when talking about car preparation and cleanliness. Some people wash their car every week religiously following the 2 bucket method etc etc and others are equally happy giving it a quick once over twice a year !

The product ( supaguard ) is supplied by an OPC and therefore has a significant mark up. In my opinion you would be better spending the same money with a detailer who`s business is car preperation not a salesman trying to sweeten a deal.

51mes

751 posts

80 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
With my SLK I was offered Supaguard.

Politely declined and has been suggested on here paid a local detailer to do a full paint correction on the car for the same money to remove all the lovely swirl marks left by the dealers care and attention to the car in the 8 months it was their demo...

If supaguard was that good - they woudl use it on their demo's to keep them looking clean and pristine - the fact that they dont suggests something.

Merc still comes up gorgeous every time I wash the raodside grime off it...

Simes.

Zyp

7,086 posts

69 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
My Spyder already had it applied as it was a showroom car.

I declined it when I bought the Alpina, however, having washed both cars yesterday, it was far far easier drying the Spyder.
One sweep with the drying cloth whereas it took a further few wipes and another cloth to get the Alp completely dry.

It seems to make quite a difference.

cp996

21 posts

29 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
Tell them not to touch it. Have a look at www.gtechniq.com and get ask them about C1 and EXO.
I've had C1 applied to my 911 18 months ago and it is still performing well.
2
Reply to Topic