Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2 3
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

wl606

Original Poster:

167 posts

88 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
Now that's something you hear very often...

But at least she's willing to stand up against the Catholic wing of the Conservatives. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservat... Being from the Libertarian wing myself, I loathe Jeremy Hunt, Mad Nad et al.

Let women decide for themselves, see no reason to change the abortion limit from 24 weeks.

Regiment

2,194 posts

47 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
So an MP states a personal opinion, government says there are no plans on even looking at the abortion age and Diane jumps on it as if its a serious government proposal. She's just spouting sound bites

McClure

1,885 posts

34 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
I was hoping this was a "she's Mensched off" thread.

Hackney

3,321 posts

96 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
Regiment said:
So an MP states a personal opinion, government says there are no plans on even looking at the abortion age and Diane jumps on it as if its a serious government proposal. She's just spouting sound bites
MPs don't just state personal opinion though do they? And even if they could it will always be attributed as "MP says...."

He knows this and if he doesn't he is not fit to be in the job.

frosted

3,549 posts

65 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
Regiment said:
So an MP states a personal opinion, government says there are no plans on even looking at the abortion age and Diane jumps on it as if its a serious government proposal. She's just spouting sound bites
You say that but all the conservatives on the news seem to be jumping on the bandwagon, as if there's nothing else more important to be discussed.
Advertisement

NightRunner

4,910 posts

82 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
Diane Abbott.

bh
moron
tt

sthead
idiot
waste of (a lot of) space


Didn't she get a bit racist some time back too?

McClure

1,885 posts

34 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
NightRunner said:
Diane Abbott.

bh
moron
tt

sthead
idiot
waste of (a lot of) space


Didn't she get a bit racist some time back too?
Yes. White people like to play "divide and rule" apparently.

AJS-

11,986 posts

124 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
Chairman Mao stood up to religious people too. It's only good if you do it for the right reasons.

Caulkhead

4,938 posts

45 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
You don't have to be catholic to dislike abortion being viewed as just another form of contraception.

tinman0

18,231 posts

128 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
Diane Abbott said:
Diane Abbott MP, Labour's shadow public health minister, said: "I think women and families across the country will find it staggering that the priority for this government is playing politics with people's lives, like this.
Pot calling the kettle..erm...black. Never stopped the Labour Party fking with people's lives.

As for the abortion limit staying at 24 weeks - a good day for murdering unborn children!

TwigtheWonderkid

12,984 posts

38 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
Keep your rosaries off our ovaries.

98elise

5,750 posts

49 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
McClure said:
NightRunner said:
Diane Abbott.

bh
moron
tt

sthead
idiot
waste of (a lot of) space


Didn't she get a bit racist some time back too?
Yes. White people like to play "divide and rule" apparently.
She also sugested that wanting the best schooling for your kids was thing black people did......while trying to defend why she was a hypocrite for sending her kids to private school (she had previously had a go at another MP for doing the same)

martin84

5,366 posts

41 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
In the case of Jeremy Hunt occupying the role of Health Secretary I am somewhat comforted by the fact Government is actually run by unelected, faceless bureaucrats who merely tell the Minister what to do. We shouldn't over-react to Hunt's comments because it's merely his opinion and even this Government isn't stupid enough to persue anything like this. However I would question the wisdom of Hunt making these comments at all, surely he knows he's purely asking for a fight the Conservatives can ill afford by doing so?

Maria Miller made a sensible enough argument last week about how the limit of 24 weeks was set in the 1960s and science has moved on. These days babies born at 21 weeks go on to be fine which wasn't the norm in the 60s. I'll listen to what she has to say but I have very little time for Hunt generally. I also feel a bit uncomfortable with the subject as the fact is I'm not a woman and I'd never have to make such a decision, so I think Maria Miller has the right to an opinion on the matter and Hunt doesn't.

tinman0

18,231 posts

128 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
martin84 said:
Maria Miller made a sensible enough argument last week about how the limit of 24 weeks was set in the 1960s and science has moved on. These days babies born at 21 weeks go on to be fine which wasn't the norm in the 60s. I'll listen to what she has to say but I have very little time for Hunt generally. I also feel a bit uncomfortable with the subject as the fact is I'm not a woman and I'd never have to make such a decision, so I think Maria Miller has the right to an opinion on the matter and Hunt doesn't.
And you don't think that Hunt gets advice from people like Maria Miller? Or other people in the medical profession that are telling him that a child at 24 weeks is now viable?

Considering no one waits that long anyway, it's a non argument. As is said in the article, 90% of terminations are before 3 months, and you can bet the other 10% are done late on for other reasons rather than a lack of contraception.

martin84

5,366 posts

41 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
tinman0 said:
And you don't think that Hunt gets advice from people like Maria Miller? Or other people in the medical profession that are telling him that a child at 24 weeks is now viable?

Considering no one waits that long anyway, it's a non argument. As is said in the article, 90% of terminations are before 3 months, and you can bet the other 10% are done late on for other reasons rather than a lack of contraception.
Exactly it's a non argument so why is Jeremy Hunt going out of his way to make an argument about it in The Times? If nobody waits that long anyway then where's the benefit in reducing the limit or even opening up a can of worms on it? Does he not realise his public image is pretty dreadful and people will naturally greet what he says with distain if they bother to listen at all? It's another case of a member of this Government giving themselves a problem for absolutely no benefit.

tinman0

18,231 posts

128 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
martin84 said:
Exactly it's a non argument so why is Jeremy Hunt going out of his way to make an argument about it in The Times? If nobody waits that long anyway then where's the benefit in reducing the limit or even opening up a can of worms on it? Does he not realise his public image is pretty dreadful and people will naturally greet what he says with distain if they bother to listen at all? It's another case of a member of this Government giving themselves a problem for absolutely no benefit.
Because some people (myself included) think that 24 weeks is still far too high. 24 weeks and a child can be made viable. So regardless of whether 24 week terminations take place, it needs to be lowered.

And you only have to look at the medical profession to see that people aren't exactly falling over themselves to practise in those departments either. And I'm pretty sure that if they did some research, unborn child murdering (lets be honest about what this is) is probably falling out of favour.

martin84

5,366 posts

41 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
tinman0 said:
Because some people (myself included) think that 24 weeks is still far too high. 24 weeks and a child can be made viable. So regardless of whether 24 week terminations take place, it needs to be lowered.

And you only have to look at the medical profession to see that people aren't exactly falling over themselves to practise in those departments either. And I'm pretty sure that if they did some research, unborn child murdering (lets be honest about what this is) is probably falling out of favour.
God you sound like an American. Get over yourself. It needs to be lowered because you don't like it?

eldar

8,597 posts

84 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
For some bloody people 24 years is too short.

tinman0

18,231 posts

128 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
martin84 said:
God you sound like an American. Get over yourself. It needs to be lowered because you don't like it?
Is that meant to be a put down?

Turn it the other way round - why does it need to be so high? If 90% of unborn child murdering is done by 12 weeks, why does the limit need to be 24 weeks?

(And I am perfectly ok to late term abortions for medical reasons).


clockworks

1,001 posts

33 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
Some pretty staggering statistics on BBC news:

Over 190,000 abortions carried out each year in GB
One in three women will have an abortion

Given that there are around 700,000 live births in a year, plus however many miscarriages, that's an abortion rate of around 20%.

I'm OK with abortions under certain circumstances, but I'm shocked by the numbers.
2 3
Reply to Topic