PistonHeads.com Forum

I've been asked to join the Freemasons

I've been asked to join the Freemasons

Author
Discussion

andyjo1982

4,647 posts

119 months

Monday 8th October 2012
quotequote all
Saddle bum said:
andyjo1982 said:
Good on you brother. Unfortunatly, I'm not able to commit quite as much time as I'd like to. Due to following my father in, I also live 100 miles away from my lodge which isn't ideal, and it can be a bit of a stretch to attend regular LOI's.
Enrole in a local one. Make sure it does your workings.
Bit too late now really. My dad's been a member at this lodge for 34 years, and before him, my Grandad was a member for at least 20 years. They both lived in Hitchin area at the time. Now I'm up in Norfolk, dad lives in Peterborough (he's a member of 2 other lodges local to him), it'd be letting the lodge down if I left to join another more local lodge. Being honest, he wouldn't let me join another lodge.

Our lodge was on its knees last year. I think we had a regular meeting with only 16 bretheren. However, things have picked up over the last 18 months. We've got enough work for about 3 years now.

Pappa Lurve

3,827 posts

191 months

Monday 8th October 2012
quotequote all
WRumbled said:
We're doing a 3rd on Thursday. I'll be acting SD (JD, but SD can't make it, and I stood in as SD for the last 3rd, too).

Not sure if we're having an 'age' competition, but our warrant is from 1757! I was initiated January 2010, so missed the big 250th celebration. Aiming to be there for the 300th!
We are not having a competition.... unless I was from the oldest Lodge here in which case it would have been! Very cool to be in a Lodge that old.

Have fun on Thursday brother

GTO-3R

3,033 posts

122 months

Monday 8th October 2012
quotequote all
WRumbled said:
GTO-3R said:
Well we've got a purpose built Lodge so nurr winkhehe
So have we. Burdon Road, Sunderland. winkhehe (Palatine Lodge, No. 97)
getmecoat

biggrin



WRumbled

158 posts

136 months

Monday 8th October 2012
quotequote all
Pappa Lurve said:
We are not having a competition.... unless I was from the oldest Lodge here in which case it would have been! Very cool to be in a Lodge that old.

Have fun on Thursday brother
I shall brother, but not too much. I'm also in Mark, and it's our installation on Friday. I hold no office (only joined this year) but will keep a relatively clear head, just in case.

Saddle bum

4,134 posts

128 months

Monday 8th October 2012
quotequote all
andyjo1982 said:
Saddle bum said:
andyjo1982 said:
Good on you brother. Unfortunatly, I'm not able to commit quite as much time as I'd like to. Due to following my father in, I also live 100 miles away from my lodge which isn't ideal, and it can be a bit of a stretch to attend regular LOI's.
Enrole in a local one. Make sure it does your workings.
Bit too late now really. My dad's been a member at this lodge for 34 years, and before him, my Grandad was a member for at least 20 years. They both lived in Hitchin area at the time. Now I'm up in Norfolk, dad lives in Peterborough (he's a member of 2 other lodges local to him), it'd be letting the lodge down if I left to join another more local lodge. Being honest, he wouldn't let me join another lodge.

Our lodge was on its knees last year. I think we had a regular meeting with only 16 bretheren. However, things have picked up over the last 18 months. We've got enough work for about 3 years now.
Sorry, misunderstanding. Enrole in a local LOI.
Advertisement

andyjo1982

4,647 posts

119 months

Monday 8th October 2012
quotequote all
Never thought of that. I'll have a look into that in the next few weeks...

Spoons

148 posts

114 months

Monday 8th October 2012
quotequote all
andyjo1982 said:
Never thought of that. I'll have a look into that in the next few weeks...
Where in SW Norfolk are you?, your yearbook will give you the nearest lodge details or I can give you details of a Norfolk or Cambridgeshire one.

I'm a member of 6622 in Hunstanton and should be IG next year bowtie. Joining 538 Mark lodge in Kings lynn next month. read

Davey S2

10,939 posts

163 months

Tuesday 9th October 2012
quotequote all
I stood in at fairly short notice as JD in a 3rd a few weeks ago. Only one line to say in the opening but lots of other involvement which I really enjoyed. Makes it far more interesting when you are actively involved.

My lodge is not that old. Number 9082 but we have Bute Lodge locally which I think is number 34.

andyjo1982

4,647 posts

119 months

Tuesday 9th October 2012
quotequote all
Spoons said:
andyjo1982 said:
Never thought of that. I'll have a look into that in the next few weeks...
Where in SW Norfolk are you?, your yearbook will give you the nearest lodge details or I can give you details of a Norfolk or Cambridgeshire one.

I'm a member of 6622 in Hunstanton and should be IG next year bowtie. Joining 538 Mark lodge in Kings lynn next month. read
I live near Downham Market. Having thought about this overnight, whilst its a good idea in principal, I think it probably would still be better to attend and support my regular LOI when I can. At least until I'd been through the chair once. As I mentioned yesterday, the numbers have been improving over the last year, so really I should make more effort to attend. Thanks anyway for the suggestion, and its something I'll definately consider in future.

Spoons

148 posts

114 months

Tuesday 9th October 2012
quotequote all
I'm 6 miles from D-Mkt on the A134, there are 2 lodges in DM.

andyjo1982

4,647 posts

119 months

Wednesday 10th October 2012
quotequote all
Spoons said:
I'm 6 miles from D-Mkt on the A134, there are 2 lodges in DM.
I live within walking distance of the main building, opposite the school. However, I'm led to beleive there are a couple of 'rum uns' in there. Long story short, when my parents were together, my dad was a member of Downham (25years+ ago), when they split up, things got a little awkward in the lodge.

I'm sure I would be welcomed there, dad still knows a few members. Isn't DM also mainly a summer lodge?

May be an idea to join in the future, just for LOI, and as a non-working member in the future.

GTO-3R

3,033 posts

122 months

Wednesday 10th October 2012
quotequote all
Last meeting tonight before my installation as IG next month woohoo

We're doing a 2nd so i'm looking forward to it!

Spoons

148 posts

114 months

Wednesday 10th October 2012
quotequote all
Lord Nelson (9782) is daytime, St Winnold (3955)is 3rd Thursday,
E-mail me if you want contact details.

andyjo1982 said:
I live within walking distance of the main building, opposite the school. However, I'm led to beleive there are a couple of 'rum uns' in there. Long story short, when my parents were together, my dad was a member of Downham (25years+ ago), when they split up, things got a little awkward in the lodge.

I'm sure I would be welcomed there, dad still knows a few members. Isn't DM also mainly a summer lodge?

May be an idea to join in the future, just for LOI, and as a non-working member in the future.
Edited by Spoons on Wednesday 10th October 20:20

WRumbled

158 posts

136 months

Friday 12th October 2012
quotequote all
A good 3rd for us last night. Praise all around.

Off to Mark tonight.

Saddle bum

4,134 posts

128 months

Friday 12th October 2012
quotequote all
Busy time next week after a slack week or two.

Monday, Mate's Lodge installation meeting, Ilford. Wednesday, W Kent Lodge doing a second for my London outfit as we have far too much to cope with. Thursday, my mother lodge meeting.

silverfoxcc

3,191 posts

54 months

Saturday 13th October 2012
quotequote all
Just heard our PPGM Mike Hooton passed to the GL above on Thursday. As he was a long serving memeber of our lodge our installation meet next thursday is going to be a bit sad

Fer

7,290 posts

189 months

Saturday 13th October 2012
quotequote all
silverfoxcc said:
Just heard our PPGM Mike Hooton passed to the GL above on Thursday. As he was a long serving memeber of our lodge our installation meet next thursday is going to be a bit sad
Very true, shocking news. I am not sure what the protocol will be but I am sure brother secretary will advise.

madala

5,010 posts

107 months

Saturday 13th October 2012
quotequote all
I've been asked to join the Freemasons

...."Run Forrest, run"....

NightRunner

7,074 posts

103 months

Saturday 13th October 2012
quotequote all
There's always one.

silverfoxcc

3,191 posts

54 months

Saturday 13th October 2012
quotequote all
Fer

Service at Easthampstead Crem next mon week (22nd) followed by reception at Sindlesham. I epect it will be wedged