Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1 2 ... 105 106
108 109 ... 138 139
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

CrabDan

568 posts

31 months

[news] 
Thursday 4th October 2012 quote quote all
hornet said:
CrabDan said:
Not sure I agree entirely. YES, Entombed have influenced a great many bands, but to me it doesn't sound overly like Left Hand Path. If anything, it sounds like Bloodbath (who are, of course, deliberately and openly attempting to mimic the likes of Entombed and 80s Death Metal in general). But then Bloodbath is essentially a Death Metal supergroup consisting of members of Opeth and Kataonia who have stated that the whole purpose of Bloodbath is to create music similar to that pf bands such as Entombed soooo... On the other hand, I also sort of agree. It just depends on from which moment in time you look at it, I suppose.
So they sound like a band who sounds like Entombed, rather than sounding like Entombed? wink

Isn't that rather like saying "they don't sound like Carcass, they sound like The County Medical Examiners"?
Not reaaaally... An influence is one thing, but completely ripping somebody's style off is something else.

JaymzDead

1,094 posts

88 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
New Neurosis
New Between the Buried and Me
New Acacia Strain
These links make me a very happy camper indeed, especially the Neurosis one, anyone else going to see them with Godflesh in December?

Gompo

3,175 posts

146 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
JaymzDead said:

These links make me a very happy camper indeed, especially the Neurosis one, anyone else going to see them with Godflesh in December?
I am about 75% yes. Apart from Souls At Zero (which I think is great) I am fairly indifferent to Neurosis and while I know/like Streetcleaner I don't know much else from Godflesh. However, they're both legendary bands and I don't want to miss out on seeing them. A very heavy evening..

JaymzDead

1,094 posts

88 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
Gompo said:
I am about 75% yes. Apart from Souls At Zero (which I think is great) I am fairly indifferent to Neurosis and while I know/like Streetcleaner I don't know much else from Godflesh. However, they're both legendary bands and I don't want to miss out on seeing them. A very heavy evening..
Exactly, one of those bills that comes around once in a blue moon. Songs of Love & Hate by Godflesh is well worth a listen as well. As for Neurosis, I'm a complete fanboy (as you may have noticed!) however everytime they've played live in this country since 95 I've managed to miss them so I'm particularly excited about this gig. Maybe we'll actually get to meet up for a beer this time! We should get Hornet and Tuscaneer (although i think it's the wrong end of the country for him) to come as well, we could set the world to rights on black metal, djent and cars!

hornet

6,006 posts

138 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
You rang? smile

Let's have the Sylosis debate again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijoa-nOhYrM

Vocals still feel too contrived to me, but they do at least seem to have dropped the "every song must have a soaring clean vocal bit in the middle" habit.


Advertisement

gazza285

1,520 posts

96 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
Nobody mentioned Red Fang yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Vcoq-QRo4

On tour soon...

JaymzDead

1,094 posts

88 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
hornet said:
You rang? smile

Let's have the Sylosis debate again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijoa-nOhYrM

Vocals still feel too contrived to me, but they do at least seem to have dropped the "every song must have a soaring clean vocal bit in the middle" habit.
Ooh I'd forgotten about the new Sylosis. From what I've heard so far Josh Middleton has really come of age on this one.

Are you coming to Neurosis/Godflesh btw?

hornet

6,006 posts

138 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
JaymzDead said:
Ooh I'd forgotten about the new Sylosis. From what I've heard so far Josh Middleton has really come of age on this one.

Are you coming to Neurosis/Godflesh btw?
Not really my cup of tea, oddly enough.

JaymzDead

1,094 posts

88 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
hornet said:
Not really my cup of tea, oddly enough.
Really? I thought it'd be right up your street.

hornet

6,006 posts

138 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
JaymzDead said:
Really? I thought it'd be right up your street.
You'd think so wouldn't you! Both just seemed to pass me by for some reason. Was probably a case of just being into different bands when they were both making names for themselves, so never really got familiar with either. I was probably too busy hunting Agathocles 7"s or something smile

JaymzDead

1,094 posts

88 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
I must admit although I've only recently really started listening to Godflesh, I've always had a lot of respect for Justin Brodrick and his contribution to extreme music but I've only really been seriously into the music since I picked up Streetcleaner a couple of years ago. Neurosis however is a different matter as I've already alluded to I'm a massive fan. They, along with Metallica, Slayer and the whole NOLA sludge scene are the main reason I'm playing music today, they've never made a bad record IMHO.

Gompo

3,175 posts

146 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
I am going to revisit various Neurosis albums as over the past 18 months or so I've become far more intereted in Sludge and Post Hardcore/Rock than previously. Of course Neurosis are quite different, but I feel I may be more open to their music.

I still seem to be discovering a handful of bands each week that I really like, gotta love the internet..

This is good, Black Metal and not entirely original but that's never the important thing. Fairly easy listening although the vocals will put some off. Elements of Emperor in here but I guess it's quite standard USBM influenced by Weakling, WitTR etc. I bought the album, anyway:

Mare Cognitum - Pulses in Etraconscious Lucidity

Can't rememeber if I've put these on this thread or not, but I've listened to them quiet a bit recently. Blackened Hardcore:

Young And In The Way - Times Are Cold

In a similar vein, great end of album track..:

Dephosporus - Aurora

silent k

758 posts

119 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
gazza285 said:
Nobody mentioned Red Fang yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Vcoq-QRo4

On tour soon...
Have been listening to them quite a lot of late, didn't realise they were on tour, think I might go and see them..

hornet

6,006 posts

138 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
Gompo said:
I am going to revisit various Neurosis albums as over the past 18 months or so I've become far more intereted in Sludge and Post Hardcore/Rock than previously. Of course Neurosis are quite different, but I feel I may be more open to their music.
On the sludge front, this might be of interest? Free download via Bandcamp as well.

Mudbath

As for USBM...it's a weird beast. never really seems to have found its own sound for me, even as far back as GBK, Profanatica/Havohej and the like. Some interesting bands certainly, but somehow always felt derivative. That's probably true of Black Metal everywhere to be honest, but other places do seem have developed their own spin on it - thinking Greece, Oz and South America especially.

ETA - another random sludge/doom find that works rather well - Clagg

Edited by hornet on Sunday 7th October 13:55

tuscaneer

Original Poster:

3,989 posts

113 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
JaymzDead said:
Gompo said:
I am about 75% yes. Apart from Souls At Zero (which I think is great) I am fairly indifferent to Neurosis and while I know/like Streetcleaner I don't know much else from Godflesh. However, they're both legendary bands and I don't want to miss out on seeing them. A very heavy evening..
Exactly, one of those bills that comes around once in a blue moon. Songs of Love & Hate by Godflesh is well worth a listen as well. As for Neurosis, I'm a complete fanboy (as you may have noticed!) however everytime they've played live in this country since 95 I've managed to miss them so I'm particularly excited about this gig. Maybe we'll actually get to meet up for a beer this time! We should get Hornet and Tuscaneer (although i think it's the wrong end of the country for him) to come as well, we could set the world to rights on black metal, djent and cars!
yeah,too far to travel for me mate....but i'd love to see godflesh "in the flesh" so to speak!!

Z06George

2,042 posts

77 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
New Sylosis album is great for anyone who hasn't heard it, another step forward for the band, Some awesome riffs and drumming. It got 5/5 in Terrorizer magazine which is pretty good. Nice to see a British band doing well.

CrabDan

568 posts

31 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
New Daylight Dies album out tomorrow biggrin

http://vimeo.com/50949530

hornet

6,006 posts

138 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
Z06George said:
New Sylosis album is great for anyone who hasn't heard it, another step forward for the band, Some awesome riffs and drumming. It got 5/5 in Terrorizer magazine which is pretty good. Nice to see a British band doing well.
Still don't like the vocals smile

CrabDan

568 posts

31 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
hornet said:
Z06George said:
New Sylosis album is great for anyone who hasn't heard it, another step forward for the band, Some awesome riffs and drumming. It got 5/5 in Terrorizer magazine which is pretty good. Nice to see a British band doing well.
Still don't like the vocals smile
They're decent but it's a bit Metalcore for me. Not really "proper" Metal, at the risk of sounding like a snob.

hornet

6,006 posts

138 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
Ok, so when did Kreator put a new album out? Missed this one!

Phantom Antichrist

Oh look, a singer confident enough in his own voice that he doesn't need to resort to growl/clean/scream cliche. Hoorah!

I'm so old and grumpy, haha smile
1 2 ... 105 106
108 109 ... 138 139
Reply to Topic