Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2 3 ... 5 6
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

McAndy

Original Poster:

6,088 posts

60 months

[news] 
Sunday 24th April 2011 quote quote all
Hi there

Does anybody have any statistics/information for the TVR Typhon, in particular "T14 HON" that I saw at Goodwod recently please?

I've done a lot of hunting and I've found information ranging from 4000 cc non-s/c to 4200 cc s/c models. I've heard that only 4 were produced, of which only 2 are currently road legal. Are they s/c models? Were they all? Did each have a different engine spec?! confused

Any help and clarification is greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance. thumbup

Andy

V8 GRF

6,636 posts

93 months

[news] 
Sunday 24th April 2011 quote quote all
A complex topic but briefly;

T440 was the original name of the production/road version developed from the Tuscan R and the racing T400s. TVR under NS then announced a supercharged car with a sequential gearbox named Typhon based on the T440.

There are 4 road cars the first three are technically T440's as they where not supercharged or with a sequential box, these cars however are frequently referred to as Typhons,although the original car supplied is still referred to a T440.

The Orange car was a customer car but NS refused to deliver the car and retained it. This was the first and only car to be fitted with a supercharger and a sequential box, thus making it technically the only true Typhon. It was never finished before TVR closed as the development process encountered issues such as overheating and sudden and severe lock-ups of the development sequential box.

I think all are 4.0 litre Speed 6 engines

McAndy

Original Poster:

6,088 posts

60 months

[news] 
Sunday 24th April 2011 quote quote all
Fantastic! Thank you kindly. That's exactly the clarification I was hoping for! smile

rico23

362 posts

43 months

[news] 
Monday 25th April 2011 quote quote all
V8 GRF said:
A complex topic but briefly;

T440 was the original name of the production/road version developed from the Tuscan R and the racing T400s. TVR under NS then announced a supercharged car with a sequential gearbox named Typhon based on the T440.

There are 4 road cars the first three are technically T440's as they where not supercharged or with a sequential box, these cars however are frequently referred to as Typhons,although the original car supplied is still referred to a T440.

The Orange car was a customer car but NS refused to deliver the car and retained it. This was the first and only car to be fitted with a supercharger and a sequential box, thus making it technically the only true Typhon. It was never finished before TVR closed as the development process encountered issues such as overheating and sudden and severe lock-ups of the development sequential box.

I think all are 4.0 litre Speed 6 engines
Is that the same orange one that is currently being built to a customers spec at Racing Green or are there two orange ones?

McAndy

Original Poster:

6,088 posts

60 months

[news] 
Monday 25th April 2011 quote quote all
V8 GRF: you wouldn't happen to recall their original prices would you please? I have £75k, £80k and £85k in my mind for the three different options (4.0, 4.2, 4.2 s/c). Thanks. Also, any power/torque/performance stats for the 4.0? Most places quote for the proposed s/c mode @215 mph, 585 bhp etc.
Advertisement

DonkeyApple

16,423 posts

52 months

[news] 
Tuesday 26th April 2011 quote quote all
rico23 said:
Is that the same orange one that is currently being built to a customers spec at Racing Green or are there two orange ones?
There's just the one. As mentioned above it was a customer specced and ordered car that NS then retained in TVR as they couldn't get the sc and the sequential box both working well enough to pass over to a client.

The silver T440 was the prototype one and apparently has a few differences in it's build to the 3 that came after. This was also the one that was originally in the fleetwood colour and used by Brundle for his DVD.

The reason why there are 2 identical reflex charcoal ones is that TVR had just finished the first full road car to a client spec when NS bought the company and decided he wanted that car for himself. So they had to build another one for the customer.

Number plates are a bit misleading but the grey one was the first road car but was a prototype not a final road car.

The first road car was the one that was owned by NS then bought by someone in Aberdeen and recently found a new owner.

The second one built was the orange one which was build to sc spec.

The third one was actually the only one ever delivered direct to a customer by TVR and is in the Cotswolds with the original owner.

I believe that all were normal 4L s6 engines except the orange one but the original engine from the orange one never worked properly as intended.

In recent months I think one of the reflex charcoal ones has had some engine work to bring it up to modern spec from one of the main engine people and the orange one has the full blown fff2 head and special block in it.

RedSpike66

2,181 posts

95 months

[news] 
Tuesday 26th April 2011 quote quote all
Special block... ??

DonkeyApple

16,423 posts

52 months

[news] 
Tuesday 26th April 2011 quote quote all
RedSpike66 said:
Special block... ??
Sorry, as in the bottom end internals. I don't know the details.

900T-R

19,316 posts

140 months

[news] 
Wednesday 27th April 2011 quote quote all
What about the original metallic red Tuscan R? If I ever won the lottery (not that I play, anyway), that's the car I'd be going after... lick

DonkeyApple

16,423 posts

52 months

[news] 
Wednesday 27th April 2011 quote quote all
I think you will need an awful lot of No More Nails to put it back together if you could find the parts.

If you mean the purplish one with the different rear lights that was chopped up.

If you mean the orange T440 used in press photos that was a non runner that either became the De Walt non runner on the aircraft carrier or one of the racing cars.

900T-R

19,316 posts

140 months

[news] 
Wednesday 27th April 2011 quote quote all
DonkeyApple said:
If you mean the purplish one with the different rear lights that was chopped up.

No, I mean red - the car that first surfaced when the Tuscan R was launched in 2002 and of which the pics were features in Evo and other mags back then. It sat on regular Spider wheels and IIRC had rear lights that looked a bit like the Griff SE ones, and there's a Spark 1/43 scale model of it...

JR

9,019 posts

141 months

[news] 
Wednesday 27th April 2011 quote quote all
DonkeyApple said:
rico23 said:
Is that the same orange one that is currently being built to a customers spec at Racing Green or are there two orange ones?
There's just the one. As mentioned above it was a customer specced and ordered car that NS then retained in TVR as they couldn't get the sc and the sequential box both working well enough to pass over to a client.

The silver T440 was the prototype one and apparently has a few differences in it's build to the 3 that came after. This was also the one that was originally in the fleetwood colour and used by Brundle for his DVD.

The reason why there are 2 identical reflex charcoal ones is that TVR had just finished the first full road car to a client spec when NS bought the company and decided he wanted that car for himself. So they had to build another one for the customer.

Number plates are a bit misleading but the grey one was the first road car but was a prototype not a final road car.

The first road car was the one that was owned by NS then bought by someone in Aberdeen and recently found a new owner.

The second one built was the orange one which was build to sc spec.

The third one was actually the only one ever delivered direct to a customer by TVR and is in the Cotswolds with the original owner.

I believe that all were normal 4L s6 engines except the orange one but the original engine from the orange one never worked properly as intended.

In recent months I think one of the reflex charcoal ones has had some engine work to bring it up to modern spec from one of the main engine people and the orange one has the full blown fff2 head and special block in it.
So that's two grey, an orange and a silver. What about this one?


DonkeyApple

16,423 posts

52 months

[news] 
Wednesday 27th April 2011 quote quote all
Do you mean PN 02 ZNG?


DonkeyApple

16,423 posts

52 months

[news] 
Wednesday 27th April 2011 quote quote all
JR said:
So that's two grey, an orange and a silver. What about this one?

One grey which used to be Fleetwood. That was the pre production and had a slightly different interior and apparently used aluminium honeycomb in some parts where carbon fibre honeycomb was used on the 3 production cars.

Then you have 2 reflex charcoal ones and 1 orange one.

The 2 reflex charcoal ones are alive and well and on the road. The orange one is being restored and the grey one is apparently no longer sitting in bits at Ginetta but is being repaired somewhere at the moment.

dbv8

6,507 posts

103 months

[news] 
Wednesday 27th April 2011 quote quote all


Taken last night

900T-R

19,316 posts

140 months

[news] 
Wednesday 27th April 2011 quote quote all
DonkeyApple said:
Do you mean PN 02 ZNG?
yes That's the one.

JR

9,019 posts

141 months

[news] 
Wednesday 27th April 2011 quote quote all
900T-R said:
DonkeyApple said:
Do you mean PN 02 ZNG?
yes That's the one.
So are you saying that the grey one was resprayed green?

DonkeyApple

16,423 posts

52 months

[news] 
Wednesday 27th April 2011 quote quote all
JR said:
So are you saying that the grey one was resprayed green?
No. Two different conversations going on;)

The grey one is still grey. It's the original prototype.

The green ones you are referring to are not green but reflex charcoal and there are two of them.


JR

9,019 posts

141 months

[news] 
Wednesday 27th April 2011 quote quote all
DonkeyApple said:
That was the pre production and had a slightly different interior and apparently used aluminium honeycomb in some parts where carbon fibre honeycomb was used on the 3 production cars.
Interior:


I don't think that there's any such thing as c/f honeycomb. Al h is usually clad in c/f. The al is just a spacer to increase the second moment of I and has no real strength to speak about.

DonkeyApple

16,423 posts

52 months

[news] 
Wednesday 27th April 2011 quote quote all
900T-R said:
yes That's the one.
Long gone.

Depending on who T the factory to talk to it was either used as a customer race car or and this is the more likely one:

De Walt had 2 race cars on order and had a photoshoot planned on HMS Ark Royal. Obviously the date for the shoot was set in stone and neither of the race cars were ready so they quickly sprayed up the red car in De Walt colours etc and used that. It was a non runner of a car with solid axles front and rear etc.

It has since been cannibalised.

V8GRF can almost certainly shed more light on that car.

The original purple one was definitely cut up and binned.
2 3 ... 5 6
Reply to Topic