Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2 3 ... 7 8
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

alpinemauve

Original Poster:

311 posts

41 months

[news] 
Thursday 9th June 2011 quote quote all
http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/

Really interesting figures of how many cars are left. UK cars only
Heres the blurb...

"Search to find statistics for every make and model of car registered in the UK.
Data comes direct from the Department for Transport, and is regularly updated"

It will be interesting to get some feedback from owners to see their particular car.

Diffy

114 posts

41 months

[news] 
Thursday 9th June 2011 quote quote all
According to that 15 for the Fiesta and 4532 for the Puma (But mines a mainland Europe colour so rarer than that in the UK smile

velocemitch

1,865 posts

106 months

[news] 
Thursday 9th June 2011 quote quote all
It does make interesting reading, but there are fair number of anomalies which can confuse the picture. Cars which have been described wrongly. On another thread somebody pointed out there were X many Fiat Punto Sportings, and another batch of Punto Sprotings!.

Checking out the Alfa 105 cars, there are 3 GTA Juniors, but no GTA's listed.

Huntsman

4,378 posts

136 months

[news] 
Thursday 9th June 2011 quote quote all
And no Gordon Keebles and no Gilbern's.


miniman

17,112 posts

148 months

[news] 
Thursday 9th June 2011 quote quote all
It doesn't include SORN'd cars.
Advertisement

MikeyT

10,972 posts

157 months

[news] 
Friday 10th June 2011 quote quote all
Does it only go back to 1994? If so - bugger all use in the classics section!

Breadvan73

19,759 posts

49 months

[news] 
Friday 10th June 2011 quote quote all
The database appears, from some searching on the government site rather than the mash up, and from discussion elsewhere on PH, to be wildly inaccurate. It does appear to include cars subject to a SORN, If it were accurate, it would still be mildly interesting for classics as it would show how many are left now.

Riley Blue

7,165 posts

112 months

[news] 
Friday 10th June 2011 quote quote all
MikeyT said:
Does it only go back to 1994?
No.

Gruber

5,172 posts

100 months

[news] 
Friday 10th June 2011 quote quote all
MikeyT said:
Does it only go back to 1994? If so - bugger all use in the classics section!
Why?

Roop

5,996 posts

170 months

[news] 
Friday 10th June 2011 quote quote all
No Sierra RS500s...? scratchchin

papple

148 posts

42 months

[news] 
Friday 10th June 2011 quote quote all
No Packards listed at all.

I think the conclusion must be that its a pile of poo and of no use at all..........

velocemitch

1,865 posts

106 months

[news] 
Friday 10th June 2011 quote quote all
Breadvan73 said:
The database appears, from some searching on the government site rather than the mash up, and from discussion elsewhere on PH, to be wildly inaccurate. It does appear to include cars subject to a SORN, If it were accurate, it would still be mildly interesting for classics as it would show how many are left now.
Although it has anomalies think it's 'reasonably' accurate. Certainly the figures for my two cars Alfa 1750GTV and 2000GTV seem about right, but I think the problem comes from how the car is described on the V5. It would be interesting to here from others if they think the description on the V5 fits the description of the car you own. RS500's for instance, are they just listed as Sierra Cosworths?.
I don't think it does cover SORN either as I think you can see patterns as classic are SORNed in winter months and come back in Summer.

GHW

1,287 posts

107 months

[news] 
Friday 10th June 2011 quote quote all
Click on the model names in the list to see the SORN stats.

I've also got hold of the DfT stats for cars licensed/sorned in 2010, broken down by make and model and year of first registration, which I'll stick up on the site over the weekend.

Olly (from howmanyleft.co.uk)

otherman

1,175 posts

51 months

[news] 
Friday 10th June 2011 quote quote all
Looks like someone's still making TR4As

http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=triumph+tr4a

Breadvan73

19,759 posts

49 months

[news] 
Friday 10th June 2011 quote quote all
Rising numbers reflect restoration. There are, for example from another context, more Spitfires flying now than there were twenty years ago.

alpinemauve

Original Poster:

311 posts

41 months

[news] 
Friday 10th June 2011 quote quote all
They kind of are making TR4's - How many ex-USA cars have been re-imported back to the UK? These cars would not be on the database until they are re-registered as UK cars thus being seen as new entries.

alpinemauve

Original Poster:

311 posts

41 months

[news] 
Friday 10th June 2011 quote quote all
Sorns are listed per vehicle but are they in addition or 'extra' cars?
Can this be clarified?

Example
Car A: licensed 400 Sorn'd 100
Does that mean there are 500 cars existing or 400 of which there are 300 on the road?

Alfachick

1,616 posts

83 months

[news] 
Friday 10th June 2011 quote quote all
I think that the Sorned cars are extra cars. So in your example there would be 500 cars left, but a max of 400 on the road.

So for my car for example they are quoted at only being 62 cars left, but when you look closer at the quaterly figures, in 2010 Q4 there were 57 cars on the road, but 17 SORNed, yet in Q2 of the same year there are 62 cars on the road and only 13 SORNed.
This kind of stands to reason as not many people are going to tax that car during the winter months. Also the one car annomoloy could be one that has been scrapped.

So according to that website there are only 62 of my car left on the road, I knew it was quite a rare beast, but didnt realise quite HOW rare. :smug:

GHW

1,287 posts

107 months

[news] 
Friday 10th June 2011 quote quote all
Alfachick said:
I think that the Sorned cars are extra cars. So in your example there would be 500 cars left, but a max of 400 on the road.

So for my car for example they are quoted at only being 62 cars left, but when you look closer at the quaterly figures, in 2010 Q4 there were 57 cars on the road, but 17 SORNed, yet in Q2 of the same year there are 62 cars on the road and only 13 SORNed.
This kind of stands to reason as not many people are going to tax that car during the winter months. Also the one car annomoloy could be one that has been scrapped.

So according to that website there are only 62 of my car left on the road, I knew it was quite a rare beast, but didnt realise quite HOW rare. :smug:
Yup, the SORN cars are definitely extras. Look for long enough and you'll find listings where the number of SORNed cars is higher than the licensed!

The Jensen GT, for example.

alfa pint

3,856 posts

97 months

[news] 
Friday 10th June 2011 quote quote all
88 MG 1300s left - one of which is ours.
6 MG Magnette Farinas left - my dad would have been threaders if he knew that when he sold our 1963 one off a few years back.

Over 12000 MG Bs still on the roads, which makes it 10 x more common than my Alfa Spider.

27 Vauxhall Firenzas left, but hardly any 2.3 litre magnum firenzas (8 I think).

One of my mates has one of the 7 remaining Bristol 410s.

Good find - feeling very nerdy as I work my way round friends and family rarities.
2 3 ... 7 8
Reply to Topic