Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Diablos-666

Original Poster:

2,533 posts

61 months

[news] 
Tuesday 26th July 2011 quote quote all
I SORN'd my car on the 01/07/11. To un-SORN I assume you just apply for a new tax disc. I've tried online and for some reason it's not letting me.

Do I need to wait for a confirmation letter from the DVLA with a reference number to be able to tax? The reference no. on both the TAX reminder and on my log book are not working.


Chicane-UK

3,417 posts

68 months

[news] 
Tuesday 26th July 2011 quote quote all
The car needs to have a valid MOT to get taxed I believe... is the MOT still current or expired?

Diablos-666

Original Poster:

2,533 posts

61 months

[news] 
Tuesday 26th July 2011 quote quote all
Chicane-UK said:
The car needs to have a valid MOT to get taxed I believe... is the MOT still current or expired?
Car was MOT'ed on the 21st of this month.

Marlin45

715 posts

47 months

[news] 
Tuesday 26th July 2011 quote quote all
Just walk into your local PO with all the relevant paperwork and ask them to tax it. Job done rolleyes

Chicane-UK

3,417 posts

68 months

[news] 
Tuesday 26th July 2011 quote quote all
Yeah - get to the Post Office I think!
Advertisement

Baron Von Alders

274 posts

164 months

[news] 
Tuesday 26th July 2011 quote quote all
If you retax this will apply from the beginning of July - can you wait a few days until August?

You can't forward tax if a car is SORN'd

Diablos-666

Original Poster:

2,533 posts

61 months

[news] 
Tuesday 26th July 2011 quote quote all
Marlin45 said:
Just walk into your local PO with all the relevant paperwork and ask them to tax it. Job done rolleyes
The less i need to go the PO the better! Plus I don't actually have all the paperwork, the car is at a garage awaiting pick up. They have serviced and MOT'd her.

I got the guy to email me the MOT reference number, I checked online to make sure it was MOT'ed - Check.

Went to see if i could get tax (like every other time) and now it won't let me.

The only documents i have is my tax reminder (which i used to SORN) and my V5 log book.

Neither reference numbers work on the online DVLA site. Am I missing something?

Diablos-666

Original Poster:

2,533 posts

61 months

[news] 
Tuesday 26th July 2011 quote quote all
Baron Von Alders said:
If you retax this will apply from the beginning of July - can you wait a few days until August?

You can't forward tax if a car is SORN'd
Yes, I will do this. I was just being pro-active to see if I could tax the car now if need be. I didn't want to wait until the day I pick the car up to find I have a problem and can't get tax.

JM

2,133 posts

89 months

[news] 
Tuesday 26th July 2011 quote quote all
Diablos-666 said:
The only documents i have is my tax reminder (which i used to SORN) and my V5 log book.

Neither reference numbers work on the online DVLA site. Am I missing something?
I think you will need to use the V5 log book document reference number, and put in the reg no of the vehicle in the correct boxes, and that should take you to the next page.

Don't know from there, it's worked evertime for me.

Never done a SORNed car before though.

Diablos-666

Original Poster:

2,533 posts

61 months

[news] 
Tuesday 26th July 2011 quote quote all
JM said:
I think you will need to use the V5 log book document reference number, and put in the reg no of the vehicle in the correct boxes, and that should take you to the next page.

Don't know from there, it's worked evertime for me.

Never done a SORNed car before though.
I've tried both reference's and neither are working frown

Hopefully the confirmation of SORN letter will come through this week, although I wouldn't be surprised if the DVLA haven't sent one out.

If not i'll call them up on Friday and see what i should do. Thought i'd ask you fine people first in case i'm missing something (never SORN'd a car before)

ewenm

26,923 posts

128 months

[news] 
Tuesday 26th July 2011 quote quote all
JM said:
I think you will need to use the V5 log book document reference number, and put in the reg no of the vehicle in the correct boxes, and that should take you to the next page.

Don't know from there, it's worked evertime for me.

Never done a SORNed car before though.
yes

I taxed my SORNed car last week. Got the MOT done and then went onto the tax website, put in the reference number from the V5 and the car registration and it all worked from there.

OP - if that's not working it's a trip to the post office when you have the documents.

confused_buyer

2,521 posts

64 months

[news] 
Tuesday 26th July 2011 quote quote all
You can't tax or SORN a car online if its tax status or registered keeper have recently changed.

As it was SORN'd on 1/7/11 it has locked out all further changes for a few weeks. This is to stop V5's, tax discs and various things over lapping.

Go into a Post Office on the 1/8/11 and tax it and it will cancel the SORN. That's the only way to do it.

Diablos-666

Original Poster:

2,533 posts

61 months

[news] 
Tuesday 26th July 2011 quote quote all
confused_buyer said:
You can't tax or SORN a car online if its tax status or registered keeper have recently changed.

As it was SORN'd on 1/7/11 it has locked out all further changes. This is to stop V5's, tax discs and various things over lapping.

Go into a Post Office on the 1/8/11 and tax it and it will cancel the SORN. That's the only way to do it.
Ahhh I see. Thank you. As the garage has the MOT cert should i ask them to post it to me?

I guess the PO will want to see valid insurance, MOT cert and maybe V5? Anything else?


confused_buyer

2,521 posts

64 months

[news] 
Tuesday 26th July 2011 quote quote all
Diablos-666 said:
Ahhh I see. Thank you. As the garage has the MOT cert should i ask them to post it to me?

I guess the PO will want to see valid insurance, MOT cert and maybe V5? Anything else?
V5, Insurance and MOT (plus some sort of payment) will do it.

monthefish

17,629 posts

114 months

[news] 
Friday 31st January quote quote all

Diablos-666 said:
Baron Von Alders said:
If you retax this will apply from the beginning of July - can you wait a few days until August?

You can't forward tax if a car is SORN'd
Yes, I will do this. I was just being pro-active to see if I could tax the car now if need be. I didn't want to wait until the day I pick the car up to find I have a problem and can't get tax.



Any Post office counter workers in the house?

What's the cut off date in the month?

e.g you buy the tax disc on the 31st January, presumably you'll get one that expires end January 2015.
If you buy one 2nd Feb you'll still get one that expires 31st January 2015.

So when in February can you buy a tax disc that expires end Feb 2015?

confused_buyer

2,521 posts

64 months

[news] 
Friday 31st January quote quote all
monthefish said:



Any Post office counter workers in the house?

What's the cut off date in the month?

e.g you buy the tax disc on the 31st January, presumably you'll get one that expires end January 2015.
If you buy one 2nd Feb you'll still get one that expires 31st January 2015.

So when in February can you buy a tax disc that expires end Feb 2015?
If the car is not taxed then 2 working days, so on January 30 you can buy a tax disc running from February 1.

Reply to Topic