Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

barking

Original Poster:

217 posts

104 months

[news] 
Sunday 18th March 2012 quote quote all
My four month old car battery discharges overnight, tried with a different battery also discharged overnight. Any suggestions to what may be draining the battery?

atco2

649 posts

90 months

[news] 
Sunday 18th March 2012 quote quote all
Get somebody in the boot and close the lid. Does the boot light go off.

Switch could have moved/ been bent.

L2VXR

687 posts

100 months

[news] 
Sunday 18th March 2012 quote quote all
Check that the drivers door switch isn't sticking as this can leave the interior lights/radio on.

barking

Original Poster:

217 posts

104 months

[news] 
Sunday 18th March 2012 quote quote all
Need the car for morning shift tomorrow, so disconnected the battery and pulled the fuse for interior lights. Tuesday plan on leaving battery connected with the interior light fuse out and seeing if it discharges the battery, no work on Wednesday so can deal with a flat battery.

maxmc2

1,702 posts

72 months

[news] 
Sunday 18th March 2012 quote quote all
You need to check for drain on the battery, best way is to link up a multimeter to the battery and pull fuses one by one until you find the culprit.

Edited by maxmc2 on Sunday 18th March 20:31

Advertisement

granada203028

1,060 posts

84 months

[news] 
Sunday 18th March 2012 quote quote all
Good battery will last longer than over night powering the boot and interior lights. Its, 70Ah odd remember, that's 3 days at 1A.

after_shock

8,100 posts

107 months

[news] 
Sunday 18th March 2012 quote quote all
I tend to get a bit of discharge over night.............

(sorry couldnt resist!)

Black VXR

611 posts

150 months

[news] 
Monday 19th March 2012 quote quote all
Standard battry that comes with the car is quite small (Starting load wise) what have others fitted when a replacent was needed

Mine is getting a bit slow on cold mornings but as the car is a 56 plate and it likely sat around for a few years before finally hitting the market in the UK I am guessing its over 7 years old which is fair. Guess I will be needing to put a new one on soon...

soco

177 posts

59 months

[news] 
Monday 19th March 2012 quote quote all
I've got mine in a local garage today with the same problem.

The popular culprit is a tracker if you have one fitted, so the Fish tells me.

YME

36 posts

36 months

[news] 
Monday 19th March 2012 quote quote all
Have had a number of 'standard' and 'premium' batteries on various cars and they all only seem to last around 3-4 years before the cold weather takes its toll. Now fitted an Optima 35 gell battery as it has around twice the starting power of the factory one and 'apparently' can stand more full discharge / recharge cycles. ,,,,, but only time will tell

soco

177 posts

59 months

[news] 
Monday 19th March 2012 quote quote all
I've got my Ro back from the garage and it would appear that the problem was due to a faulty relay that controls the lights dimming and switching off when you leave the car.

They went through all the usual fuse pulling lark before turning their attention to the relays. I'm told that the relay was sticking and although the lights went off inside, the power was still there and draining the battery.

At the moment they've bypassed the relay which I now have on the desk in front of me. The interior lights now come on when the doors open, but switch off immdiately when the door is shut.

They're fairly confident that's what the problem is and I just need to get a new relay.
The proof will come in a few days when I try to use it again. If it's gone flat they'll investigate more without further charge.

barking

Original Poster:

217 posts

104 months

[news] 
Tuesday 20th March 2012 quote quote all
Soco, please keep me informed of how things progress. Car just having a retest, failed on drop links, when I get it back can have a play.

THUNDER STORM

714 posts

56 months

[news] 
Tuesday 20th March 2012 quote quote all
soco said:
I've got my Ro back from the garage and it would appear that the problem was due to a faulty relay that controls the lights dimming and switching off when you leave the car.

They went through all the usual fuse pulling lark before turning their attention to the relays. I'm told that the relay was sticking and although the lights went off inside, the power was still there and draining the battery.

At the moment they've bypassed the relay which I now have on the desk in front of me. The interior lights now come on when the doors open, but switch off immdiately when the door is shut.

They're fairly confident that's what the problem is and I just need to get a new relay.
The proof will come in a few days when I try to use it again. If it's gone flat they'll investigate more without further charge.
I was having same problem, I too thought it was to do with lighting issue so I changed the relay round for another at the side of it (same number). Car been sound for a week now without running, shows 12volts on gauge.

Keep in touch.

Adebyebye

barking

Original Poster:

217 posts

104 months

[news] 
Wednesday 21st March 2012 quote quote all
I know internal lighting should not discharge a battery overnight, however left battery connected last night with alarm off and fuse pulled for internal lights. This morning car started without hesitation. Maybe the battery had not charged properly previously. Going to try the fuse in tonight with alarm still off to confirm, lights and not alarm, then take internal lamps out in boot then glove compartment.

THUNDER STORM

714 posts

56 months

[news] 
Wednesday 21st March 2012 quote quote all
barking said:
I know internal lighting should not discharge a battery overnight, however left battery connected last night with alarm off and fuse pulled for internal lights. This morning car started without hesitation. Maybe the battery had not charged properly previously. Going to try the fuse in tonight with alarm still off to confirm, lights and not alarm, then take internal lamps out in boot then glove compartment.
Please keep me up to date with findings as this fault appears to be not a one off. Bcensored Aussi carslaugh

Adebyebye

L2VXR

687 posts

100 months

[news] 
Wednesday 21st March 2012 quote quote all
L2VXR said:
Check that the drivers door switch isn't sticking as this can leave the interior lights/radio on.


To expand on this a little i found on mine that when you turn the ignition off that your accessories stay on then when you open the drivers door the bcm turns everything off but as on mine the switch was stuck in the closed position so the bcm never sensed the door opening so everything stayed powered on which thankfully i noticed before i had a dead battery.You can also turn this feature off in the options menu so everything turns off when you turn the ignition off. I pulled the switch out and cleaned up the plastic plunger so it moved freely and its been fine since.

maxmc2

1,702 posts

72 months

[news] 
Wednesday 21st March 2012 quote quote all
L2VXR said:
To expand on this a little i found on mine that when you turn the ignition off that your accessories stay on then when you open the drivers door the bcm turns everything off but as on mine the switch was stuck in the closed position so the bcm never sensed the door opening so everything stayed powered on which thankfully i noticed before i had a dead battery.You can also turn this feature off in the options menu so everything turns off when you turn the ignition off. I pulled the switch out and cleaned up the plastic plunger so it moved freely and its been fine since.
I had this when i first got the car a little WD40 soon sorted it.

soco

177 posts

59 months

[news] 
Wednesday 21st March 2012 quote quote all
soco said:
I've got my Ro back from the garage and it would appear that the problem was due to a faulty relay that controls the lights dimming and switching off when you leave the car.

They went through all the usual fuse pulling lark before turning their attention to the relays. I'm told that the relay was sticking and although the lights went off inside, the power was still there and draining the battery.

At the moment they've bypassed the relay which I now have on the desk in front of me. The interior lights now come on when the doors open, but switch off immdiately when the door is shut.

They're fairly confident that's what the problem is and I just need to get a new relay.
The proof will come in a few days when I try to use it again. If it's gone flat they'll investigate more without further charge.


Two days later without starting her up, but the battery is as good as gold. It would usually have gone flat by now. Looks like success at last.

I'll give another update in a few days. Interesting to read all the other experiences people have had too.

Edited by soco on Wednesday 21st March 23:21

barking

Original Poster:

217 posts

104 months

[news] 
Sunday 25th March 2012 quote quote all
Running a few days with internal light fuse pulled and the car is behaving itself at the moment. On my next rest days will play with it further, as taxing the Caterham from the 1st April, so will have a back up.

I have found that the monaro does not like having the battery disconnected overnight, it as though the engine management unit forgets some settings and takes about five minutes to relearn them, before the car will run smoothly.

granada203028

1,060 posts

84 months

[news] 
Sunday 25th March 2012 quote quote all
barking said:
Running a few days with internal light fuse pulled and the car is behaving itself at the moment. On my next rest days will play with it further, as taxing the Caterham from the 1st April, so will have a back up.

I have found that the monaro does not like having the battery disconnected overnight, it as though the engine management unit forgets some settings and takes about five minutes to relearn them, before the car will run smoothly.


Yes that's my experience, can take a few days before the idle is as steady as it was and the car occasionally flames out at low speed coasting
2
Reply to Topic