Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

bqf

Original Poster:

1,310 posts

54 months

[news] 
Friday 4th May 2012 quote quote all
About 3 weeks ago, woke up with a headache on the right side of my head (extending down to the neck). Thought nothing of it, popped a couple of tablets and got on with it.

Had the same pain (in varying intensity) for 3 weeks now, daily! When it's bad it can't be shifted with tablets, but sometimes it's negligible.

Web search threw up 'chronic tension-type headache' - anyone here suffer with that? Any ideas?

Booked to see GP - week today was the earliest appt (!)


MrWhale

173 posts

60 months

[news] 
Friday 4th May 2012 quote quote all
Yes used, to suffer from these myself (lasting up to a week) pain would be at the base of the skull where it joined the spine usually down one side of my neck.

Whenever I get them now I take some neurofen and have a good hot bath follwed by a long stretching session of the neck / back with some deep heat / foam rolling. Loosens up all the muscles and a few hours later the tension headache dissapears.

bqf

Original Poster:

1,310 posts

54 months

[news] 
Friday 4th May 2012 quote quote all
MrWhale said:
Yes used, to suffer from these myself (lasting up to a week) pain would be at the base of the skull where it joined the spine usually down one side of my neck.

Whenever I get them now I take some neurofen and have a good hot bath follwed by a long stretching session of the neck / back with some deep heat / foam rolling. Loosens up all the muscles and a few hours later the tension headache dissapears.
Did you get pains in your head too? Mine seems to spread around one side of my head, esp behind my eye...

Will try the hot bath thing (rarely have one - always showers, probably a good excuse for an hour to myself!)

vescaegg

3,379 posts

50 months

[news] 
Friday 4th May 2012 quote quote all
Go see an osteopath

Sticks.

3,722 posts

134 months

[news] 
Friday 4th May 2012 quote quote all
Work at at desk? I changed jobs many year ago and the new desk/chair/pc/monitor set up gave me daily headaches. Soon moved on, problem went away and didn't come back.

Ditto osteopath.
Advertisement

wendyg

2,071 posts

126 months

[news] 
Saturday 5th May 2012 quote quote all
If you are waking with pain on one side in the temple, behind the eye, in front of the ear, or jaw or side of the neck, you might be grinding or clenching your teeth in the night. Possible other pointers are tender teeth or jaw-locking or restricted opening. Look for BRUXISM and see if anything fits.

davepoth

22,938 posts

82 months

[news] 
Saturday 5th May 2012 quote quote all
bqf said:
Did you get pains in your head too? Mine seems to spread around one side of my head, esp behind my eye...

Will try the hot bath thing (rarely have one - always showers, probably a good excuse for an hour to myself!)
Sounds sinus-y to me. If you hold breath and nose, and try to pop your ears, does it hurt loads?

bqf

Original Poster:

1,310 posts

54 months

[news] 
Saturday 5th May 2012 quote quote all
Thanks for replies - looked at Bruxism, could be a factor. Will see what doc says Friday..

RichyBoy

2,552 posts

100 months

[news] 
Sunday 6th May 2012 quote quote all
Are you sleeping on a memory foam mattress? I get these neck pain/headaches on arising and am certain its my mattress.

sjc

7,885 posts

153 months

[news] 
Sunday 6th May 2012 quote quote all
wendyg said:
If you are waking with pain on one side in the temple, behind the eye, in front of the ear, or jaw or side of the neck, you might be grinding or clenching your teeth in the night. Possible other pointers are tender teeth or jaw-locking or restricted opening. Look for BRUXISM and see if anything fits.
Yep, just finished treatment for this, involved bite guards lots of physio on muscles from temple to jaw joint, and on neck etc

Farmerpalmer

209 posts

47 months

[news] 
Monday 7th May 2012 quote quote all
wendyg said:
If you are waking with pain on one side in the temple, behind the eye, in front of the ear, or jaw or side of the neck, you might be grinding or clenching your teeth in the night. Possible other pointers are tender teeth or jaw-locking or restricted opening. Look for BRUXISM and see if anything fits.
+1 TMJ

944fan

3,021 posts

68 months

[news] 
Tuesday 8th May 2012 quote quote all
I have had the same. Tension headache starts at the neck and feels like my whole head is being clamped.

GP was useless, I saw a Chiropractor and Physio privatley. Both of which helped to loosen my neck and gave me some exercises to do.

In terms of pills to help try Syndol. It has a muscle relaxant which helps. Also has codine though so only take for 3 days.

bqf

Original Poster:

1,310 posts

54 months

[news] 
Tuesday 8th May 2012 quote quote all
all very useful info, thanks for the replies (Pistonheads is great sometimes!).

I'm not sleeping on a memory mattress, so it can't be that. I do think I may need a better mattress/pillow combo though.

The Bruxism thing is very interesting - I do have a tender tooth (large one at the back) in the mornings.

In the middle of moving house so think stress comes into it!

Is Syndol an over the counter thing?

944fan

3,021 posts

68 months

[news] 
Tuesday 8th May 2012 quote quote all
Yes you don't need a prescription for Syndol. Have to get it from a pharmacy though.

Also might find it hard to find at the minute:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/91313...

Would also add that I swapped to a memory foam pillow and mattress topper and that improved the situation a fair bit.

For ages I felt like I was stuck with this for ever but with Chrio / Physio and pillows have all improved it massively.

Nom de ploom

2,998 posts

57 months

[news] 
Thursday 10th May 2012 quote quote all
I'm suffering at pres and have been for two weeks with a pain behind my left eye and a pain on the left side of my forehead that oddly gets alot worse if I raise my left eyebrow (its not the roger moore headache i don't think).

any ways last night i was rubbing my foreheds and got very sharp stabbing pain but there is no bruising it is getting very annoying- I think I need the docs.

anyone familiar with this?


back in two weeks.

Roger645

1,362 posts

130 months

[news] 
Thursday 10th May 2012 quote quote all
Nom de ploom said:
I'm suffering at pres and have been for two weeks with a pain behind my left eye and a pain on the left side of my forehead that oddly gets alot worse if I raise my left eyebrow (its not the roger moore headache i don't think).

any ways last night i was rubbing my foreheds and got very sharp stabbing pain but there is no bruising it is getting very annoying- I think I need the docs.

anyone familiar with this?


back in two weeks.
Sinus issue?

Nom de ploom

2,998 posts

57 months

[news] 
Thursday 10th May 2012 quote quote all
no i don't think so tbh, my siuses have gereally been ok.

I don't get headaches very often but this won't go away. odd that when i rise my left eybrow it hurts behind my left eye...

not a clue...

bqf

Original Poster:

1,310 posts

54 months

[news] 
Thursday 10th May 2012 quote quote all
I'm convinced it's a nerve thing - docs tomorrow, suspect i'll be sent home with an instruction for tablets and a need for physio
Reply to Topic