Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2 3
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Reardy Mister

Original Poster:

11,331 posts

109 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th May 2012 quote quote all
Anyone dealt with these guys? Seem to have a good stock of e46 m3s at prices 1 or 2k lower than most others. Concerned at the regularity of "fbmwsh except for last service which was at indy specialist", which seems to crop up on most of them.

http://www.sjspecialistcars.co.uk/stock1.html

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?d=6784

Makes me think he buys stock that needs servicing so hasnt been looked after. Is that the case?

The two Oxford Green cars are lick

Edited by Reardy Mister on Wednesday 16th May 10:13

E30M3SE

7,756 posts

83 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th May 2012 quote quote all
Can't help on the dealer, have no experience, but, I think you'll find this with many E46 M3's, they're at that sort of age now and imo there is nothing fundamentally wrong with Specialist S/H.

The dates of the services should give some indication as to whether your theory holds any water.

Cheib

9,215 posts

62 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th May 2012 quote quote all
Looks to me like that is a sole trader operating from his home. All the cars pictures are taken in front of a house, "viewing by appoitment", mobile contact number and no building number for the address......a quick look on Google maps and it looks to be a residential road.

So they should be cheaper than anywhere else as I suspect if anything goes wrong you'll find you're dealing with an individual and not a company. That said they look to have some stock but they could easily be sale or return.

Spend literally a few pounds checking up on them at companies house...oh you can't as thre is no company of that name.

Erm..........


Reardy Mister

Original Poster:

11,331 posts

109 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th May 2012 quote quote all
Cheib said:
Looks to me like that is a sole trader operating from his home. All the cars pictures are taken in front of a house, "viewing by appoitment", mobile contact number and no building number for the address......a quick look on Google maps and it looks to be a residential road.

So they should be cheaper than anywhere else as I suspect if anything goes wrong you'll find you're dealing with an individual and not a company. That said they look to have some stock but they could easily be sale or return.

Spend literally a few pounds checking up on them at companies house...oh you can't as thre is no company of that name.

Erm..........
scratchchin

Hmmm....

It would be nice to know who the Specialist is. My feeling is that all these cars recent specialist service will have been done at the same place. Why are they all due one? Repo's?

Can I get a BMW Warranty on this one for instance?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3705268.htm

Im guessing they would need to inspect it at a dealer and then tell me if they are prepared to warranty it and for how much per year?

E30M3SE

7,756 posts

83 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th May 2012 quote quote all
Reardy Mister said:
scratchchin

Hmmm....

It would be nice to know who the Specialist is. My feeling is that all these cars recent specialist service will have been done at the same place. Why are they all due one? Repo's?

Can I get a BMW Warranty on this one for instance?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3705268.htm

Im guessing they would need to inspect it at a dealer and then tell me if they are prepared to warranty it and for how much per year?
Yes you can, although a Comprehensive BMW insured warranty will be best part of £2k with 0 excess and breakdown cover) as the car has done over 60K miles.


It would not need to be inspected at a dealer, you would need the stamped service book and it would be helpfully if you have the invoice for the specialist £3K service in case of future claims.
If you get the VRM for that car you can go on BMW's warranty website and get quotes of warranty cost with differing levels of cover and excess.


Edited by E30M3SE on Wednesday 16th May 11:36

Advertisement

Reardy Mister

Original Poster:

11,331 posts

109 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th May 2012 quote quote all
E30M3SE said:
Reardy Mister said:
scratchchin

Hmmm....

It would be nice to know who the Specialist is. My feeling is that all these cars recent specialist service will have been done at the same place. Why are they all due one? Repo's?

Can I get a BMW Warranty on this one for instance?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3705268.htm

Im guessing they would need to inspect it at a dealer and then tell me if they are prepared to warranty it and for how much per year?
Yes you can, although a Comprehensive BMW insured warranty will be best part of £2k with 0 excess and breakdown cover) as the car has done over 60K miles.


It would not need to be inspected at a dealer, you would need the stamped service book and it would be helpfully if you have the invoice for the specialist £3K service in case of future claims.




If you get the VRM for that car you can go on BMW's warranty website and get quotes of warranty cost with differing levels of cover and excess.


Edited by E30M3SE on Wednesday 16th May 11:36
Thanks for the info.

So in reality, Id be as well to try and find one with a) less miles or b) an approved used?

By the time Ive slapped 2k on that (assuming thats per year!?), I might as well try for approved used.

Im only doing 6kmiles a year. Id be up for 33p per mile just in warranty.

Maybe I have underestimated this M caper..... :|

E30M3SE

7,756 posts

83 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th May 2012 quote quote all
With an AUC you will get at least 1 years warranty, but you will (probably) have to pay for the second year, if the car is over 60K at that point you will be in the same boat.

Some warranty costing ( a cut&paste from the CSL Register, this is for continuation of an existing warranty, there is a small premium for a lapsed warranty renewal iirc. ),

Full Comp / 250 Excess / Breakdown = £690
Full Comp / 100 Excess / Breakdown = £835
Full Comp / 0 Excess / Breakdown = £951

Full Comp / 250 Excess / No Breakdown = £612
Full Comp / 100 Excess / No Breakdown = £757
Full Comp / 0 Excess / No Breakdown = £873




Named Part / 250 Excess / Breakdown = £590
Named Part / 100 Excess / Breakdown = £706
Named Part / 0 Excess / Breakdown = £798

Named Part / 250 Excess / No Breakdown = £512
Named Part / 100 Excess / No Breakdown = £628
Named Part / 0 Excess / No Breakdown = £720




Driveline / 250 Excess / Breakdown = £474
Driveline / 100 Excess / Breakdown = £557
Driveline / 0 Excess / Breakdown = £623

Driveline / 250 Excess / No Breakdown = £396
Driveline / 100 Excess / No Breakdown = £479
Driveline / 0 Excess / No Breakdown = £545


For cars over 60k miles

Full Comp / 250 Excess / Breakdown = £1535
Full Comp / 100 Excess / Breakdown = £1926
Full Comp / 0 Excess / Breakdown = £2235

Full Comp / 250 Excess / No Breakdown = £1457
Full Comp / 100 Excess / No Breakdown = £1848
Full Comp / 0 Excess / No Breakdown = £2157




Named Part / 250 Excess / Breakdown = £1266
Named Part / 100 Excess / Breakdown = £1578
Named Part / 0 Excess / Breakdown = £1826

Named Part / 250 Excess / No Breakdown = £1188
Named Part / 100 Excess / No Breakdown = £1500
Named Part / 0 Excess / No Breakdown = £1748




Driveline / 250 Excess / Breakdown = £880
Driveline / 100 Excess / Breakdown = £1081
Driveline / 0 Excess / Breakdown = £1240

Driveline / 250 Excess / No Breakdown = £802
Driveline / 100 Excess / No Breakdown = £1003
Driveline / 0 Excess / No Breakdown = £1162


{url]BMW Insured warranty|http://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk/Pages/Home.aspx[/url], for the difference levels of cover available and whats covered.

Reardy Mister

Original Poster:

11,331 posts

109 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th May 2012 quote quote all
E30M3SE said:
With an AUC you will get at least 1 years warranty, but you will (probably) have to pay for the second year, if the car is over 60K at that point you will be in the same boat.

Some warranty costing ( a cut&paste from the CSL Register, this is for continuation of an existing warranty, there is a small premium for a lapsed warranty renewal iirc. ),

Full Comp / 250 Excess / Breakdown = £690
Full Comp / 100 Excess / Breakdown = £835
Full Comp / 0 Excess / Breakdown = £951

Full Comp / 250 Excess / No Breakdown = £612
Full Comp / 100 Excess / No Breakdown = £757
Full Comp / 0 Excess / No Breakdown = £873




Named Part / 250 Excess / Breakdown = £590
Named Part / 100 Excess / Breakdown = £706
Named Part / 0 Excess / Breakdown = £798

Named Part / 250 Excess / No Breakdown = £512
Named Part / 100 Excess / No Breakdown = £628
Named Part / 0 Excess / No Breakdown = £720




Driveline / 250 Excess / Breakdown = £474
Driveline / 100 Excess / Breakdown = £557
Driveline / 0 Excess / Breakdown = £623

Driveline / 250 Excess / No Breakdown = £396
Driveline / 100 Excess / No Breakdown = £479
Driveline / 0 Excess / No Breakdown = £545


For cars over 60k miles

Full Comp / 250 Excess / Breakdown = £1535
Full Comp / 100 Excess / Breakdown = £1926
Full Comp / 0 Excess / Breakdown = £2235

Full Comp / 250 Excess / No Breakdown = £1457
Full Comp / 100 Excess / No Breakdown = £1848
Full Comp / 0 Excess / No Breakdown = £2157




Named Part / 250 Excess / Breakdown = £1266
Named Part / 100 Excess / Breakdown = £1578
Named Part / 0 Excess / Breakdown = £1826

Named Part / 250 Excess / No Breakdown = £1188
Named Part / 100 Excess / No Breakdown = £1500
Named Part / 0 Excess / No Breakdown = £1748




Driveline / 250 Excess / Breakdown = £880
Driveline / 100 Excess / Breakdown = £1081
Driveline / 0 Excess / Breakdown = £1240

Driveline / 250 Excess / No Breakdown = £802
Driveline / 100 Excess / No Breakdown = £1003
Driveline / 0 Excess / No Breakdown = £1162


BMW Insured warranty, for the difference levels of cover available and whats covered.
Great stuff. Bookmarked.

thumbup

Reardy Mister

Original Poster:

11,331 posts

109 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th May 2012 quote quote all
Update:

He lists his Address in Green Lane, Hindley Green, Wigan on his website.

http://www.sjspecialistcars.co.uk/docs/contact.php

I street viewed the whole of Green Lane, no similar house. But there is a street that looked like it might hide a house like his. In fact, he lives in Dorstone Close, which is a road off Green Lane. number 14 I would say.

He might be legit, but if so, why all the smoke and mirrors?

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

Cheib

9,215 posts

62 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th May 2012 quote quote all
Reardy Mister said:
Cheib said:
Google is your friend

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=397...

Interesting thread....one bloke on there who bought from him what sounds like a dog and then a mystery first poster who popped up and said he'd had a great experience.

Barge pole.............a very big one at that too.
Good find.

Definitely barge pole for me. Further, there is a mention on that site of a Williams F1 M3 variant. The post is dated January last year. As luck would have it, he is currently selling "another" example of this particularly rare car.....

scratchchin
Sounds to me like he gets people on the hook with his multiple adverts and probably actually only has one or two actual cars. Or maybe not even that and once he has someone interested goes and looks for a similar car when he has the enquiry.

Only needs one or two mug punters a month and he can make a tidy little sum.

PJS917

1,037 posts

135 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th May 2012 quote quote all
I looked at a couple of SJ specialist cars. He does appear to be a sole trader, from his house in a nice residential avenue. He is a pleasant chap with a good stock, the reason for appointment only is his stock is spread out at various locations so needs to ensure the car you want is available.

His stock comes from BMW dealers and was clean and well (if over) prepared. He has also been around a while so must be doing something right.

mr sagman

938 posts

123 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th May 2012 quote quote all
I spoke to him recently, He seems a nice enough guy and seemed very knowledgeable particularly of M cars, However the car I was enquiring about a black CSL which was on his site (and still is.. Or was a week or so ago) Had been long sold he told me, That was around feb/march time, Think he leaves sold stock on his site to generate interest/ calls, Shame as I was gonna potentially purchase the CSl as it looked a cracker.

evolution666

308 posts

122 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th May 2012 quote quote all
mr sagman said:
I spoke to him recently, He seems a nice enough guy and seemed very knowledgeable particularly of M cars, However the car I was enquiring about a black CSL which was on his site (and still is.. Or was a week or so ago) Had been long sold he told me, That was around feb/march time, Think he leaves sold stock on his site to generate interest/ calls, Shame as I was gonna potentially purchase the CSl as it looked a cracker.
echo this.

I called him saturday about the oxford green convertible, same story, advertised on here, a long time sold. seemed like a pleasent guy. I would not have a problem buying a car from him, just do all the usual checks you would with any other car and follow up the service history.

The question that was being asked was has anyone had any dealings with the named company, it wasnt an invite to speculate on his possible shadey business (assome have put it) for gods sake.

Reardy Mister

Original Poster:

11,331 posts

109 months

[news] 
Thursday 17th May 2012 quote quote all
evolution666 said:
mr sagman said:
I spoke to him recently, He seems a nice enough guy and seemed very knowledgeable particularly of M cars, However the car I was enquiring about a black CSL which was on his site (and still is.. Or was a week or so ago) Had been long sold he told me, That was around feb/march time, Think he leaves sold stock on his site to generate interest/ calls, Shame as I was gonna potentially purchase the CSl as it looked a cracker.
echo this.

I called him saturday about the oxford green convertible, same story, advertised on here, a long time sold. seemed like a pleasent guy. I would not have a problem buying a car from him, just do all the usual checks you would with any other car and follow up the service history.

The question that was being asked was has anyone had any dealings with the named company, it wasnt an invite to speculate on his possible shadey business (assome have put it) for gods sake.
True enough. But a long history of advertising cars that are long since sold, is surely not the way to inspire consumer confidence?

robk84

103 posts

93 months

[news] 
Thursday 17th May 2012 quote quote all
I have been looking for an e46 m3, e39 m5 for a while.. on numerous occasions i have seen one of his vehicles advertised. Called.. get a fairly blunt reply of its sold.. (so why isnt it marked as sold on pistonheads)

Few weeks later, same car goes to the top of the classifieds - call again, "its sold"

It seems to the same cars advertised over and over again.

Nice stock - maybe im just unlucky, however i dont bother calling now if i see something i want.

jaedba2604

882 posts

34 months

Gardsdog

8 posts

30 months

[news] 
Thursday 17th May 2012 quote quote all
I realise this is my first post on PH's, but it is because I have just purchased my first M5. I bought it off Scott who owns SJ Specialist Cars. It is still advertised on here but it is not on the website, it's the black E60 M5 M5LXD. I have to say that I have found him very helpfull and knowledgable about the cars he sells. The prices are lower than traditional dealers because of the lack of overheads and he mainly deals in M cars. There was no pushy sales techniques or bul**** when I bought the car, he also gave me a very fair price for my 57 plate 320 touring. hope this helps. Above all, the car is amazing... If a little thirsty, drove it up the A470 from South Wales to Llandudno....awesome.

pingu393

1,233 posts

92 months

[news] 
Thursday 17th May 2012 quote quote all
I live very close to a dealer who sells from his own driveway. The cars are stored in local lock-ups (hence the reason for viewing by appointment). He did have a plot, but couldn't sell enough cars to make up the £2,000 per month overheads. I have often told him that he doesn't need to make his cars as close to perfection as he does. I've never seen cars for sale at a higher standard of preparation than his.

I suspect that this guy is similar and I would be very happy to take him on face value, but if any alarm bells ring - walk away.

turboman786

699 posts

74 months

[news] 
Friday 18th May 2012 quote quote all
Gardsdog said:
I realise this is my first post on PH's, but it is because I have just purchased my first M5. I bought it off Scott who owns SJ Specialist Cars. It is still advertised on here but it is not on the website, it's the black E60 M5 M5LXD. I have to say that I have found him very helpfull and knowledgable about the cars he sells. The prices are lower than traditional dealers because of the lack of overheads and he mainly deals in M cars. There was no pushy sales techniques or bul**** when I bought the car, he also gave me a very fair price for my 57 plate 320 touring. hope this helps. Above all, the car is amazing... If a little thirsty, drove it up the A470 from South Wales to Llandudno....awesome.
This is almost a PH tradition...where a trader is being discussed, a new poster appears and explains their delight at dealing with said firm!

Babu 01

1,672 posts

86 months

[news] 
Friday 18th May 2012 quote quote all
turboman786 said:
This is almost a PH tradition...where a trader is being discussed, a new poster appears and explains their delight at dealing with said firm!
Odd how the same thing happened on Cutters when this guy was being discussed.


2 3
Reply to Topic