IMI A said:
You can ring and ask Jim or Graham on the gate. It is better that you go with others because during the week whilst it is quiet most of the times, it really does help having someone else to look out for traffic etc. There is the full circuit and a shorter version that joins on to the main circuit which can be an issue at high speeds.
We are there pretty regularly at the moment and will be quite a lot next month testing new 997 packages. Drop me a message and we can organise something.
Ken, what are the new 997 packages in terms of goals you've set yourself?
Several goals actually. All with the same methodology as we do on the 996 turbos - real world performance backed by proper testing results.
1. To have an effective simple upgrade without changing the VTGs - so just remap + y-pipe replacement + intercoolers - performance to be in the region of 540-550hp backed up by 0-300kph times
2. VTG hybrids (gen 1 based VTG) - remap, y-pipe, IPD, TB and intercoolers - performance to be in the region of 580-640 (quite a wide range dependant on boost, backed up by 0-320kph times
3. VTG hybrids (gen 2 based VTG) - package being worked on, but moving towards 600-650hp range performance, backed up by 0-320kph times
4. Non VTG - we already have these packages right up to extreme high hp.
5. PDK upgrade - currently being worked on in terms of increasing the strength of the box
6. Tiptronic upgrade - Hold more power
2. Available and being fitted to test car in next 4 weeks - Our VTG Hybrids are different to what is available on the market - the issue with VTG is heat.
- One resolution is to increase the VTG Housing (turbine) size - larger the VTG housing the better at heat control. However issue is cost - you need to start with the VTGs that are in the 997GT2RS, and you cannot buy the housing either from Porsche or direct from manufacturer. So the cost goes up because you need to buy these turbos first and they are over £2k each.
- Our resolution is to flow more, but run less boost. So we have a hybrid VTG completed, that flows 5 lbs more per turbo than those on the GT2RS (620ps) with standard VTG housing. The GT2RS runs at up to 1.6 bar, so we are planning to run at 1.2 bar. Clearly we can run higher for example in sport mode and so on.
- package is being run in the next few weeks.
3. Hybrid not completed yet, but spec'd with our turbo builder already. Not far away.
4. Easy solution, just dump the VTGs and we can provide whatever level of power is required. For example the 9E25 package will work straight on to a 997 turbo
5. The nightmare for all tuners at the moment. You can put in a 1000hp engine+turbo package and it will still run no faster than a package at the 600hp engine+turbo package - PDK reduces power automatically on slip.
6. Available - both hardware and software solution.
Engine builds for gen 1 and gt2rs are already available including increased capacity.
997 tuning is more expensive than 996 tuning - as always the newer the model the more that cost is for tuning. We will look at whether that is justified.