PistonHeads.com Forum

Is wiping crap on a car a crime?

Is wiping crap on a car a crime?

Author
Discussion

98elise

Original Poster:

8,161 posts

68 months

Wednesday 13th June 2012
quotequote all
My wife just called me to say that someone has smeared st all over my lotus, and on the house wall frown

This is the day after I told my BTL tenant that they need to leave the property due to rent arrears!

Is actually a crime? Obviously its not damaged as it will wash off, but I'd like to record it incase things start to escalate.



Edited by 98elise on Wednesday 13th June 19:24

littleredrooster

3,201 posts

103 months

Wednesday 13th June 2012
quotequote all
Criminal damage perhaps? Definitely worth reporting in case it escalates.

10 Pence Short

32,880 posts

124 months

Wednesday 13th June 2012
quotequote all
It's criminal damage. Take pictures and if you feel necessary, call the Police and report. Leave it on the car until they arrive.

Robb F

4,310 posts

78 months

Wednesday 13th June 2012
quotequote all
I would hope so!

98elise

Original Poster:

8,161 posts

68 months

Wednesday 13th June 2012
quotequote all
Unfortunately my wife washed it off before calling me, so we have no evidence.

She's pretty worried as it happened in a short space of time while she and the kids were out.

Edited by 98elise on Wednesday 13th June 18:50

Advertisement

98elise

Original Poster:

8,161 posts

68 months

Wednesday 13th June 2012
quotequote all
Double post

Edited by 98elise on Wednesday 13th June 18:51


Edited by 98elise on Wednesday 13th June 18:53

Derek Smith

24,715 posts

155 months

Wednesday 13th June 2012
quotequote all
Subject to it being put onto the vehicle by a human being with the necessary mens rea it is criminal damage. The vehicle has to be modified, ie washed, before it can be used.

otolith

31,787 posts

111 months

Wednesday 13th June 2012
quotequote all
Derek Smith said:
Subject to it being put onto the vehicle by a human being with the necessary mens rea it is criminal damage. The vehicle has to be modified, ie washed, before it can be used.
I'm remembering something to do with stickering a door being considered criminal damage, which would support your interpretation?

98elise

Original Poster:

8,161 posts

68 months

Wednesday 13th June 2012
quotequote all
Derek Smith said:
Subject to it being put onto the vehicle by a human being with the necessary mens rea it is criminal damage. The vehicle has to be modified, ie washed, before it can be used.
Thanks, that sounds right.

So how best to report it?

Obviously I'd like the full blues and two's and a load of CSI's round, but I suspect they many be busy on more serious stuff.

Do I just call the non emergency number, or is there some other way I should report something like this?

Mastodon2

11,904 posts

72 months

Wednesday 13th June 2012
quotequote all
98elise said:
Thanks, that sounds right.

So how best to report it?

Obviously I'd like the full blues and two's and a load of CSI's round, but I suspect they many be busy on more serious stuff.

Do I just call the non emergency number, or is there some other way I should report something like this?
I think you might get further if you speak to someone in person. A diary appointment maybe? Either way, I'd definitely want a written, signed and dated copy of whatever documentation the police make, will be a good thing to keep in your back pocket in case your dodgy tenant becomes difficult to extract.

Derek Smith

24,715 posts

155 months

Wednesday 13th June 2012
quotequote all
Mastodon2 said:
I think you might get further if you speak to someone in person. A diary appointment maybe? Either way, I'd definitely want a written, signed and dated copy of whatever documentation the police make, will be a good thing to keep in your back pocket in case your dodgy tenant becomes difficult to extract.
X2.

Derek

jazzyjeff

3,651 posts

166 months

Thursday 14th June 2012
quotequote all
Derek Smith said:
Mastodon2 said:
I think you might get further if you speak to someone in person. A diary appointment maybe? Either way, I'd definitely want a written, signed and dated copy of whatever documentation the police make, will be a good thing to keep in your back pocket in case your dodgy tenant becomes difficult to extract.
X2.

Derek
x3 Keeping regular, diarea is the way

oyster

7,500 posts

155 months

Thursday 14th June 2012
quotequote all
jazzyjeff said:
Derek Smith said:
Mastodon2 said:
I think you might get further if you speak to someone in person. A diary appointment maybe? Either way, I'd definitely want a written, signed and dated copy of whatever documentation the police make, will be a good thing to keep in your back pocket in case your dodgy tenant becomes difficult to extract.
X2.

Derek
x3 Keeping regular, diarea is the way
hehe

DaveH23

1,713 posts

77 months

Thursday 14th June 2012
quotequote all
littleredrooster said:
Criminal damage perhaps? Definitely worth reporting in case it escalates.
Whilst I hope this is the case and I hope the culprit is caught and coloured in using said excrement I really don’t see how this is criminal damage.

After being cleaned was there any damage?

As mentioned though keep a diary of anything that does happen?

Is there anyway the OP could set up some kind of camera?

John145

1,066 posts

63 months

Thursday 14th June 2012
quotequote all
DaveH23 said:
Whilst I hope this is the case and I hope the culprit is caught and coloured in using said excrement I really don’t see how this is criminal damage.

After being cleaned was there any damage?

As mentioned though keep a diary of anything that does happen?

Is there anyway the OP could set up some kind of camera?
As someone mentioned earlier, action was required to put the vehicle into a usable condition hence damage. Just as the same way letting the air out of people's tyres is criminal damage!

DaveH23

1,713 posts

77 months

Thursday 14th June 2012
quotequote all
John145 said:
DaveH23 said:
Whilst I hope this is the case and I hope the culprit is caught and coloured in using said excrement I really don’t see how this is criminal damage.

After being cleaned was there any damage?

As mentioned though keep a diary of anything that does happen?

Is there anyway the OP could set up some kind of camera?
As someone mentioned earlier, action was required to put the vehicle into a usable condition hence damage. Just as the same way letting the air out of people's tyres is criminal damage!
So driving along a dirty road is criminal damage if you have to wash your car aswell (exact same 'fix')

As I mentioned I hope the scrote is caught but I really do not agree that this is classed as damage.


otolith

31,787 posts

111 months

Thursday 14th June 2012
quotequote all
Where would you draw the line at substances which need to be cleaned off? If not st, how about axle grease? Candle wax? Poster paint? Emulsion? Gloss paint? Spray paint?

PAULJ5555

2,128 posts

83 months

Thursday 14th June 2012
quotequote all
But what has been damaged???? for criminal damage.

otolith

31,787 posts

111 months

Thursday 14th June 2012
quotequote all
PAULJ5555 said:
But what has been damaged???? for criminal damage.
Damage does not need to be permanent;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_damage_in_En...

DaveH23

1,713 posts

77 months

Thursday 14th June 2012
quotequote all
otolith said:
PAULJ5555 said:
But what has been damaged???? for criminal damage.
Damage does not need to be permanent;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_damage_in_En...
I believe he is trying to say there is no damage - just a mess.