PistonHeads.com Forum

Do you press the button when applying the handbrake?

Do you press the button when applying the handbrake?

Poll: Do you press the button when applying the handbrake?

Total Members Polled: 440

No - why would I do that?: 19%
Yes - it seems like the thing to do: 80%
Count me out - all electric handbrake here: 1%
Author
Discussion

blueg33

Original Poster:

17,045 posts

132 months

Wednesday 27th June 2012
quotequote all
I was taught by my dad to push in the button on the handbrake when applying it to reduce wear on the ratchet. It also saves that horrible ratchety noise.

When I hear people's handbrake grating across the ratchet it makes me wince

What do you do?

Bisonhead

1,517 posts

97 months

Wednesday 27th June 2012
quotequote all
Why else is it there?

rhinochopig

17,932 posts

106 months

Wednesday 27th June 2012
quotequote all
There's a button? Well you learn something new every day.

garyhun

19,903 posts

136 months

Wednesday 27th June 2012
quotequote all
Of course I do. Although not right now as I've just changed to a car with an electronic handbrake smile

Mikeyplum

1,270 posts

77 months

Wednesday 27th June 2012
quotequote all
I dont, but then my handbrake is only one or two clicks biggrin I like it nice and tight (oooo err) :P
Advertisement

doogz

26,203 posts

95 months

Wednesday 27th June 2012
quotequote all
I usually pull the button in, although unless I'm on a hill, with 2 of the cars, I'll only pull the handbrake up to the first tooth anyway.

But has anyone ever had to replace a handbrake handle because they've actually worn the ratchet mechanism out, to the point it no longer holds? Does this actually happen?

blueg33

Original Poster:

17,045 posts

132 months

Wednesday 27th June 2012
quotequote all
doogz said:
I usually pull the button in, although unless I'm on a hill, with 2 of the cars, I'll only pull the handbrake up to the first tooth anyway.

But has anyone ever had to replace a handbrake handle because they've actually worn the ratchet mechanism out, to the point it no longer holds? Does this actually happen?
I have no idea if they actually wear, its what my dad taught me, so its ingrained

englisharcher

1,607 posts

72 months

Wednesday 27th June 2012
quotequote all
I never press it, I don't know why.

garyhun

19,903 posts

136 months

Wednesday 27th June 2012
quotequote all
englisharcher said:
I never press it, I don't know why.
We do wink

R0G

4,412 posts

63 months

Wednesday 27th June 2012
quotequote all
We have 3 AD examiners who hate the ratchet handbrake noise and its not rocket science to push the button, after all, we do to release it !!

I do agree with some of our fair sex that for the last notch or two it can be necessary to ratchet it for a firmer hold - take that in anyway you fell so desired to ......

AndyNetwork

1,707 posts

102 months

Wednesday 27th June 2012
quotequote all
Sometimes - but by no means all of the time.

vixen1700

9,128 posts

178 months

Wednesday 27th June 2012
quotequote all
blueg33 said:
When I hear people's handbrake grating across the ratchet it makes me wince
Yeah, this really. Button all the way for me. smile

pimpchez

701 posts

91 months

Wednesday 27th June 2012
quotequote all
Probably once in 4 1/2 yrs of driving , i just like the noise biggrin

E38Ross

17,962 posts

120 months

Wednesday 27th June 2012
quotequote all
blueg33 said:
doogz said:
I usually pull the button in, although unless I'm on a hill, with 2 of the cars, I'll only pull the handbrake up to the first tooth anyway.

But has anyone ever had to replace a handbrake handle because they've actually worn the ratchet mechanism out, to the point it no longer holds? Does this actually happen?
I have no idea if they actually wear, its what my dad taught me, so its ingrained
the hand brake on my old E21 was wearing and had play in it and was told it would need replacing eventually. 3 years later it was still fine

Disastrous

6,919 posts

125 months

Wednesday 27th June 2012
quotequote all
Bisonhead said:
Why else is it there?
Is it not to release the handbrake?

Howard-

3,420 posts

110 months

Wednesday 27th June 2012
quotequote all
I don't.

The button is there to release it. Some may argue that it's safer to ratchet it up without pressing the button to minimise the risk of it not latching properly. I don't partly because of this and partly because I simply don't believe it is necessary. It won't wear out.

McSam

6,689 posts

83 months

Wednesday 27th June 2012
quotequote all
Obviously..

Basic mechanical sympathy failure for those who do not.

XJ40

3,208 posts

121 months

Wednesday 27th June 2012
quotequote all
I'm a button man, the rachety noise is unseemly and doesn't seem mechanically sympathetic.

V8LM

3,669 posts

117 months

Wednesday 27th June 2012
quotequote all
With the fly-off handbrake I have to.

VeeDub Geezer

460 posts

62 months

Wednesday 27th June 2012
quotequote all
I normally pull the handle tight with button depressed, release button and raise one click on the rachet.

I have seen rachets wear to the point of needing replacement but it would seem it's certain cars that suffer more than others.