Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2 3 4
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

unrepentant

Original Poster:

15,686 posts

139 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all

Silent1

18,830 posts

118 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
woohoo

Elroy Blue

6,384 posts

75 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
Equally, a lot of ordinary workers in the US are NOT happy about it.

JDRoest

1,126 posts

33 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
Ooo goody, I get to pay more taxes.

martin84

5,366 posts

36 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
A sensible decision in the end, but it was very tight as expected. This whole saga does make me glad we have the NHS in this country though, it's easy to take things for granted.

This was probably the best Obama could hope for, I wouldn't be surprised if what he really wants to do is remove the words 'over 65' from the Medicare book but he'd never get that through so there has to be a compromise.
Advertisement

unrepentant

Original Poster:

15,686 posts

139 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
Elroy Blue said:
Equally, a lot of ordinary workers in the US are NOT happy about it.
That's mainly because they've been lied to by the rabid right.

12gauge

1,274 posts

57 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
Not surprising. Maobama has gone to great lengths to install judges who hold the constitution in contempt.

Yanks can now go from a healthcare system that nearly bankrupts them to one that completely bankrupts them.

12gauge

1,274 posts

57 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
unrepentant said:
That's mainly because they've been lied to by the rabid right.
How so? Both the democrats and repubs are beholden to the health insurance and drugs companies

All Obamacare does is extend the writing of blank cheques to even more lobbyists and accelerates the bankrupcy date of the federal govt.

davepoth

22,920 posts

82 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
12gauge said:
How so? Both the democrats and repubs are beholden to the health insurance and drugs companies

All Obamacare does is extend the writing of blank cheques to even more lobbyists and accelerates the bankrupcy date of the federal govt.
And that's why Single Payer would have been so much better. This is a start at least, and provides health insurance for a lot of people at a price they can afford. You'll be amazed how much cheaper prevention is than cure, and hopefully the US government will start to reap the benefits of that.

AndrewW-G

11,968 posts

100 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
Anyone care to sum up why this is a good thing?

Elroy Blue

6,384 posts

75 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
unrepentant said:
That's mainly because they've been lied to by the rabid right.
Or perhaaps they can make their their own decisions and don't like what they see.

Caulkhead

4,938 posts

40 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
AndrewW-G said:
Anyone care to sum up why this is a good thing?
I was hoping for that too.

As I understand it, currently if you don't have insurance but can afford it, if you need medical care you have to pay for it. If you don't have insurance and can't afford it, tax-payer funded medicare/medicaid pays.

Now if you can afford insurance and don't buy it you get fined by the IRS and if you can't afford it you get fined by the IRS?

Or have I got that wrong?

Victor McDade

4,395 posts

65 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
Will be interesting to see what Mitt Romney, the architect behind 'Romneycare' in Massachusetts, has to say about all of this. Given the two schemes are so similar, I guess he has to back Obama right? smile

sirtyro

1,170 posts

81 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
Victor McDade said:
Will be interesting to see what Mitt Romney, the architect behind 'Romneycare' in Massachusetts, has to say about all of this. Given the two schemes are so similar, I guess he has to back Obama right? smile
He has always said that RomneyCare was never meant for the entire country as a whole and was just meant at state level. If he gets in he has made it clear on day 1 he will repeal ObamaCare.

davepoth

22,920 posts

82 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
Caulkhead said:
I was hoping for that too.

As I understand it, currently if you don't have insurance but can afford it, if you need medical care you have to pay for it. If you don't have insurance and can't afford it, tax-payer funded medicare/medicaid pays.

Now if you can afford insurance and don't buy it you get fined by the IRS and if you can't afford it you get fined by the IRS?

Or have I got that wrong?
That's one part of it. The other parts of the law set up insurance exchanges and force the insurance companies to use larger risk pools which should both drop the price of coverage a lot.

Jasandjules

50,392 posts

112 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
Hmm, this seems a touch odd. I wonder if this is going to cost Obama the presidency.

unrepentant

Original Poster:

15,686 posts

139 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
12gauge said:
Not surprising. Maobama has gone to great lengths to install judges who hold the constitution in contempt.
You win the prize for the most uneducated moronic comment of the day. clap

The Supreme Court has a 5/4 Republican bias and the swing vote was that of chief justice Roberts, an appointee of George W Bush who opposed the 4 other Republicans who voted the party line.

AndrewW-G

11,968 posts

100 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
davepoth said:
Caulkhead said:
I was hoping for that too.

As I understand it, currently if you don't have insurance but can afford it, if you need medical care you have to pay for it. If you don't have insurance and can't afford it, tax-payer funded medicare/medicaid pays.

Now if you can afford insurance and don't buy it you get fined by the IRS and if you can't afford it you get fined by the IRS?

Or have I got that wrong?
That's one part of it. The other parts of the law set up insurance exchanges and force the insurance companies to use larger risk pools which should both drop the price of coverage a lot.
Shirley, by forcing everybody to get insurance, they will be enlarging the risk pools anyway?

12gauge

1,274 posts

57 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
sirtyro said:
He has always said that RomneyCare was never meant for the entire country as a whole and was just meant at state level. If he gets in he has made it clear on day 1 he will repeal ObamaCare.
Yes, its amazing how ignorant most people (here too it seems) are with regard to state vs federal powers.

It was the same with Ron Paul on many issues. Tell them he disagrees with it on a state level but agrees with it on a federal level, and their brains go into meltdown. Thats what a federal system is. A basic set of national rights, powers to enact things like healthcare on a local basis.

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=207908
said:
Finding first that the Commerce Clause bars the government from compelling one to enter into commerce, the analysis then turned to whether there was any way to save the constitutionality of the act.

The justices found one.

They re-interpreted the penalty clause as a tax.

And of course, Congress can levy taxes.

That's the path taken by this tortured process -- a path that could only be dreamed up if someone had already determined the outcome they sought instead of being an independent jurist.

12gauge

1,274 posts

57 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
davepoth said:
And that's why Single Payer would have been so much better. This is a start at least, and provides health insurance for a lot of people at a price they can afford. You'll be amazed how much cheaper prevention is than cure, and hopefully the US government will start to reap the benefits of that.
Rubbish. Things like the mark up of costs on drugs to US consumers and insurers are why costs are so bloated in the US. This legislation does nothing to change that, and in fact entrenches it. What they have is the worst of both worlds. Private profit motive and an anti free/competitive market national monopoly system creating cartel like conditions. I dont need to explain what that results in...
2 3 4
Reply to Topic