Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2 3 ... 6 7
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Transmitter Man

Original Poster:

3,103 posts

109 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
Please excuse my ignorance but what I cannot understand is why one or two bankers seem to not be happy with their lot.

I used to work for HR Owen delivering cars (Ferrari, Maserati, Lotus, TVR, Lamborghini and Bentley) to that great garage under Canary Wharf.

You have never seen so much money in a car park I can assure you.

Can someone please explain because I'm lost.

Phil


rhinochopig

17,026 posts

83 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
You might want to define what you mean by "banker". I'm certainly not one but I fear this thread may not go well for you if you're not clear.

Countdown

10,163 posts

81 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
Human nature. People always want more.

Whilst maybe not always an attractive feature it has contributed signifcantly to the improvement of our society.

Eric Mc

76,629 posts

150 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
Yes - define what you mean by "banker".

Do you mean Bob Diamond or the kid behind the counter in your local Barclays?

djstevec

2,479 posts

59 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
Transmitter Man said:
I used to work for HR Owen delivering cars (Ferrari, Maserati, Lotus, TVR, Lamborghini and Bentley) to that great garage under Canary Wharf.
TVR's in the recession years I guess wink
Advertisement

martin84

5,366 posts

38 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
Eric Mc said:
Yes - define what you mean by "banker".

Do you mean Bob Diamond or the kid behind the counter in your local Barclays?
If the kid behind the counter in Barclays has a Bentley then I'm applying for a job there.

Transmitter Man

Original Poster:

3,103 posts

109 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
Hello Rhino,

I made a mistake by generalising for which I apologise.

The traders who refuse to lose by breaking the law or were these boys just morally wrong?

Phil


Transmitter Man

Original Poster:

3,103 posts

109 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
Steve,

Yes, prior to Smolensky.

Martin,

I did state Canary Wharf, not their Canary Wharf branch:-)

Phil

fbrs

8,926 posts

148 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
martin84 said:
If the kid behind the counter in Barclays has a Bentley then I'm applying for a job there.
you could always apply for a job in global markets instead.

speaking of greedy, op... how many litres dispacement is it right for one man to own? smile

Jasandjules

51,022 posts

114 months

[news] 
Thursday 28th June 2012 quote quote all
Transmitter Man said:
Can someone please explain because I'm lost.
Me too.

What is it you are actually asking? Why people want to make more money?

If so, why do so many footballers on stupid salaries also whinge about "only" earning 30k per week etc...

munky

5,267 posts

133 months

[news] 
Friday 29th June 2012 quote quote all
Transmitter Man said:
Hello Rhino,

I made a mistake by generalising for which I apologise.

The traders who refuse to lose by breaking the law or were these boys just morally wrong?

Phil
Which law did they break? Thanks.

AndrewW-G

11,968 posts

102 months

[news] 
Friday 29th June 2012 quote quote all
Transmitter Man said:
I did state Canary Wharf, not their Canary Wharf branch:-)
I'd suggest that it's the majority of people who work for Barclays in 1 CP & North colonnade, who don't earn 6 figures + a year smile

Bingo1976

41 posts

28 months

[news] 
Friday 29th June 2012 quote quote all
Transmitter Man said:
You have never seen so much money in a car park I can assure you.
I can assure you I have, and I used to work in Canary Wharf.

Now in Singapore and the carpark is insane. Even more when you consider that a Ferrari will set you back £400k, a Maserati £200k.

Laughingman21

582 posts

96 months

[news] 
Friday 29th June 2012 quote quote all
Transmitter Man said:
The traders who refuse to lose by breaking the law or were these boys just morally wrong?
Are you suggesting it's only bankers that "break" the law to try and make a few quid?

Have you ever seen programmes like Watchdog and Rogue Traders? Every profession has a few wrotten eggs that try and bend the rules for financial gain. The bankers make the headlines because they deal in large amounts (so any gains they make are larger than your average rogue trader) and right now the general media despises them slightly more than your average dictator.

cardigankid

6,323 posts

97 months

[news] 
Friday 29th June 2012 quote quote all
munky said:
Transmitter Man said:
Hello Rhino,

I made a mistake by generalising for which I apologise.

The traders who refuse to lose by breaking the law or were these boys just morally wrong?

Phil
Which law did they break? Thanks.
Try fraud. As it happens I think that you will find that they broke several, and with any luck some of them will end up in jail, as they deserve, for a change.

Pommygranite

5,672 posts

101 months

[news] 
Friday 29th June 2012 quote quote all
Wheres that 'not this S*** again' pic?

Zod

26,484 posts

143 months

[news] 
Friday 29th June 2012 quote quote all
Bingo1976 said:
I can assure you I have, and I used to work in Canary Wharf.

Now in Singapore and the carpark is insane. Even more when you consider that a Ferrari will set you back £400k, a Maserati £200k.
Even more insane when you consider that there's nowhere to drive them!

Wurls

1,307 posts

90 months

[news] 
Friday 29th June 2012 quote quote all
Transmitter Man said:
Hello Rhino,

I made a mistake by generalising for which I apologise.

The traders who refuse to lose by breaking the law or were these boys just morally wrong?

Phil
Ah right. Hidden agenda then.

eccles

8,513 posts

107 months

[news] 
Friday 29th June 2012 quote quote all
Laughingman21 said:
Transmitter Man said:
The traders who refuse to lose by breaking the law or were these boys just morally wrong?
Are you suggesting it's only bankers that "break" the law to try and make a few quid?

Have you ever seen programmes like Watchdog and Rogue Traders? Every profession has a few wrotten eggs that try and bend the rules for financial gain. The bankers make the headlines because they deal in large amounts (so any gains they make are larger than your average rogue trader) and right now the general media despises them slightly more than your average dictator.
But your average rogue trader hasn't just been bailed out with public money.

Laughingman21

582 posts

96 months

[news] 
Friday 29th June 2012 quote quote all
eccles said:
Laughingman21 said:
Transmitter Man said:
The traders who refuse to lose by breaking the law or were these boys just morally wrong?
Are you suggesting it's only bankers that "break" the law to try and make a few quid?

Have you ever seen programmes like Watchdog and Rogue Traders? Every profession has a few wrotten eggs that try and bend the rules for financial gain. The bankers make the headlines because they deal in large amounts (so any gains they make are larger than your average rogue trader) and right now the general media despises them slightly more than your average dictator.
But your average rogue trader hasn't just been bailed out with public money.
Which the banks have paid back in full. (or nearly? - I can't remember exactly)

Also, depends on how you look at it. When Mr Rogue Trader Ltd's building firm goes under because people have seen what a crook he is on TV, he'll still be able to claim benefits i.e. the state will bail him out.
2 3 ... 6 7
Reply to Topic