If, like me, you are frustrated by your recent generation apple product not charging when you connect it to the car, then there is a solution.
Despite Grange telling me that it was £130 and difficult to do, HWM Walton was able to provide me with a kit that took me all of 5 minutes to fit and cost £70 including P&P.
So if, like me, the idea of a Scosche adapter doesn't tick your boxes, here is how it's done:
1. Call Rob at HWM. Enjoy the pleasant telephone interaction with this pleasant chap.
2. Tell him what you need. The part number on my receipt is:
8G43-37-11078 IPOD GEN 2 UPGRD KIT
3. Wait for postman.
4. Open the armrest cubbyhole and remove the original iPhone cable.
5. Remove the 4 little screws holding the metal panel over the existing iPhone connector socket:
6. Pull the connector box out towards the back of the car. It's got a connector in the back on a short wire that will stop you bringing it out very far. With one finger, depress the tab in the middle of the connector (under the connector) and pull the box off the cable. Don't force anything:
7. You will see that there is some foam tape on the original box, presumably to stop it rattling against the panel and causing all sorts of dark thoughts about Astons and build quality. The new box, however, is devoid of this padding, so I used some double sided foam tape to make my own padding:
8. Now comes the only tricky bit - plugging the short cable into the back of the connector box. I used one finger to jam the connector against the roof of the hole to stop it moving back and teased the new box back onto it. Once the cable is inserted make sure it is in as far as it will go. You will hear a little click when the locking tab engages.
9. Push the box back into its reservation. You can see the sticky pads I put on:
10. Contemplate the now useless bits of Aston that you have removed. In particular, the Scosche adapter which was never used and curse Jockman for encouraging you to buy it in the first place.
11. Relax with a Pim's or other celebratory beverage of your choosing and pat yourself on the back for a job well done.
One thing I was surprised at was that the part numbers on the parts I installed were *exactly* the same as the ones I removed. I was 99% sure that HWM had sent me parts I had already and it wasn't going to work, but it did.
Important lesson learned here: parts can be modified and yet keep the same part number.
Hope this helps.