PistonHeads.com Forum

Parking across my own dropped kerb - with a white line.

Parking across my own dropped kerb - with a white line.

Author
Discussion

apguy

Original Poster:

699 posts

154 months

Tuesday 24th July 2012
quotequote all
I've recently moved and now have a garage, with a dropped kerb outside. On the remainder of the road it's double yellow lines, but across my dropped kerb there are no yellow lines but a single white line with T bar terminators at each end.

So my simple question is: Can I park on the road, in front of my garage?

Thanks.

CapriV6S

421 posts

48 months

Tuesday 24th July 2012
quotequote all
No you cant, you'll only block your wifes car from leaving the garage. Park in front of someone elses garage.

R0G

4,375 posts

61 months

Tuesday 24th July 2012
quotequote all
Legally yes you can

As previous poster says - blocking your wifes car in will be worse than getting any legal fine !!!!!!!

apguy

Original Poster:

699 posts

154 months

Tuesday 24th July 2012
quotequote all
Ta muchly, and you will be very pleased to know that my cars are already inside the garage, I just wanted to know if it was alright to direct visitors to park outside on the rare occasions that other parking was unavailable.


streaky

19,311 posts

155 months

Tuesday 24th July 2012
quotequote all
apguy said:
Ta muchly, and you will be very pleased to know that my cars are already inside the garage, I just wanted to know if it was alright to direct visitors to park outside on the rare occasions that other parking was unavailable.
That isn't what you asked!

Streaky
Advertisement

Red Devil

8,075 posts

114 months

Tuesday 24th July 2012
quotequote all
apguy said:
I've recently moved and now have a garage, with a dropped kerb outside. On the remainder of the road it's double yellow lines, but across my dropped kerb there are no yellow lines but a single white line with T bar terminators at each end.

So my simple question is: Can I park on the road, in front of my garage?
Provided you don't haved a shared driveway, no problem.
See Section 14(4) London Local Authorities and Transport Act 2003.
and
Section 86(3) Traffic Management Act 2004

Nightmare

4,809 posts

190 months

Tuesday 24th July 2012
quotequote all
Well I've recently paid a parking fine for one of my guys who was parked in exactly that scenario, at a customers house and at his request while spraying his car. Council fine for parking on a dropped kerb.

May not be remotely relevant but thought I'd mention it

prand

3,760 posts

102 months

Tuesday 24th July 2012
quotequote all
I would have thought that a traffic warden would find it impossible to tell if it was your car parked in front of your drive so would give you a ticket anyway?

chriscpritchard

284 posts

71 months

Tuesday 24th July 2012
quotequote all
prand said:
I would have thought that a traffic warden would find it impossible to tell if it was your car parked in front of your drive so would give you a ticket anyway?
Yes, but you have a very easy appeal (IE, get the owners of the house to write and say it was fine as per the relevant legislation)

ewenm

28,452 posts

151 months

Tuesday 24th July 2012
quotequote all
I presume there isn't a matching dropped kerb and white line on the opposite side of the road, which could suggest it's intended as a wheelchair/pram crossing point?

Red Devil

8,075 posts

114 months

Tuesday 24th July 2012
quotequote all
Nightmare said:
Well I've recently paid a parking fine for one of my guys who was parked in exactly that scenario, at a customers house and at his request while spraying his car. Council fine for parking on a dropped kerb.

May not be remotely relevant but thought I'd mention it
Unfortunately another example of not knowing the legislation and the available exemptions resulting in somebody's wallet being lightened.

The CEO was probably not conversant either. LAs frequently sub-contract the job and given that he/she will be expected by his/her supervisor to meet a target for that shift, probably couldn't give a flying censored anyway.

bigandclever

7,813 posts

144 months

Tuesday 24th July 2012
quotequote all
Please correct me if I'm wrong... my understanding is that H bars are advisory only, and that they're a good deterrent but not actually enforceable. The point of them is that they illustrate a possible obstruction, and BiB can act on that. That's what Reading council told me anyway.

14-7

6,073 posts

97 months

Tuesday 24th July 2012
quotequote all
Red Devil said:
Unfortunately another example of not knowing the legislation and the available exemptions resulting in somebody's wallet being lightened.

The CEO was probably not conversant either. LAs frequently sub-contract the job and given that he/she will be expected by his/her supervisor to meet a target for that shift, probably couldn't give a flying censored anyway.
Can you enlighten the rest of us to the legislation that states you can park over a dropped kerb if the entrance you are blocking is your own?

Deva Link

26,934 posts

151 months

Tuesday 24th July 2012
quotequote all
apguy said:
I've recently moved and now have a garage, with a dropped kerb outside. On the remainder of the road it's double yellow lines, but across my dropped kerb there are no yellow lines but a single white line with T bar terminators at each end.
Surely the double yellows are to prevent the road being obstructed, so if you (or a visitor rolleyes ) park on the single white line at your drive then the vehicle is still going to be obstructing the road?

Edited by Deva Link on Tuesday 24th July 23:42

Deva Link

26,934 posts

151 months

Tuesday 24th July 2012
quotequote all
Nightmare said:
Well I've recently paid a parking fine for one of my guys who was parked in exactly that scenario, at a customers house and at his request while spraying his car. Council fine for parking on a dropped kerb.

May not be remotely relevant but thought I'd mention it
Was that ON the dropped kerb, or AT the dropped kerb? Was he obstructing the footpath?

Nightmare

4,809 posts

190 months

Tuesday 24th July 2012
quotequote all
nope, definitely not obstructing the footpath.....if anyone's really interested I could find the pen notice which had a photo on it...maybe there will be something in that which would show its a different situation!

Red Devil

8,075 posts

114 months

Wednesday 25th July 2012
quotequote all
14-7 said:
Red Devil said:
Unfortunately another example of not knowing the legislation and the available exemptions resulting in somebody's wallet being lightened.

The CEO was probably not conversant either. LAs frequently sub-contract the job and given that he/she will be expected by his/her supervisor to meet a target for that shift, probably couldn't give a flying censored anyway.
Can you enlighten the rest of us to the legislation that states you can park over a dropped kerb if the entrance you are blocking is your own?
Of course. Did you not notice my other post further up this page?

Red Devil said:
Provided you don't haved a shared driveway, no problem.
See Section 14(4) London Local Authorities and Transport Act 2003.
and
Section 86(3) Traffic Management Act 2004

Red Devil

8,075 posts

114 months

Wednesday 25th July 2012
quotequote all
bigandclever said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong... my understanding is that H bars are advisory only, and that they're a good deterrent but not actually enforceable. The point of them is that they illustrate a possible obstruction, and BiB can act on that. That's what Reading council told me anyway.
Most probably, except where one is adjacent to a dropped kerb. In that case, subject to the exception mentioned in my post above, you can be served with a PCN by the LA - Contravention Code 27 - which will be enforceable.

Nightmare

4,809 posts

190 months

Wednesday 25th July 2012
quotequote all
Red Devil said:
Unfortunately another example of not knowing the legislation and the available exemptions resulting in somebody's wallet being lightened.

The CEO was probably not conversant either. LAs frequently sub-contract the job and given that he/she will be expected by his/her supervisor to meet a target for that shift, probably couldn't give a flying censored anyway.
I was bloody certain it was wrong as well.....and wrote to contest. The next thing was two bailiffs turning up at my house asking for £350.00 Council had no record of my disagreement apparently. which was convenient.
Bailiffs were nice chaps though!

apguy

Original Poster:

699 posts

154 months

Wednesday 25th July 2012
quotequote all
Deva Link said:
Surely the double yellows are to prevent the road being obstructed, so if you (or a visitor rolleyes ) park on the single white line at your drive then the vehicle is still going to be obstructing the road?

Edited by Deva Link on Tuesday 24th July 23:42
Well I appreciate the rolled eyes, but you neither know my garage arrangement nor the road in question. So to assist in your understanding:

Mine is the garage on the right with the white line outside it. Google StreetView managed to snap the picture before the ever zealous and car hating Brighton & Hove council painted the unrequired double yellow lines.


Edited by apguy on Wednesday 27th March 17:46