PistonHeads.com Forum

Dogs that don't shed a lot of hair

Author
Discussion

Happy82

Original Poster:

8,574 posts

81 months

Monday 3rd September 2012
quotequote all
We fancy getting a dog soon, however my partner doesn't fancy hoovering up dog hair every day laugh

What species shed small amounts of hair? I know that all dogs will shed some, but also aware that some shed less than others. Someone recommended a West Highland Terrier which is looking good so far but were wondering what the other options may be smile

Thanks!

Robsti

7,612 posts

118 months

Monday 3rd September 2012
quotequote all
Miniature Schnauzer!

Jasandjules

59,398 posts

141 months

Monday 3rd September 2012
quotequote all
Poodle. Hardly shed at all. Labradoodle isn't supposed to shed much either..

gog440

8,108 posts

102 months

Tuesday 4th September 2012
quotequote all
Greyhound!

Easy to look after, big enough that a bloke doesnt look daft walking it but they curl up pretty small and they tend to be very healthy, they dont have the problems with inbreeding that a lot of breeds get. They are also really affectionate and good with kids/
http://www.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk/

We have had ours 2 years and he is lovelybiggrin

AtticusFinch

8,006 posts

95 months

Tuesday 4th September 2012
quotequote all
gog440 said:
Greyhound!

Easy to look after, big enough that a bloke doesnt look daft walking it but they curl up pretty small and they tend to be very healthy, they dont have the problems with inbreeding that a lot of breeds get. They are also really affectionate and good with kids/
http://www.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk/

We have had ours 2 years and he is lovelybiggrin
Don't they chase anything going?
Advertisement

Mustard

6,992 posts

157 months

Tuesday 4th September 2012
quotequote all
Robsti said:
Miniature Schnauzer!
Yep, no hair loss here (or doggy smell), big dog in a small dogs body

bulldong

2,416 posts

115 months

Tuesday 4th September 2012
quotequote all
We have a labradoodle which is not supposed to shed hair particularly. I can tell you that it's much cleaner than other dogs we have had (Labrador, retriever, spaniel) but it is still not hair loss free!


AdiT

951 posts

69 months

Tuesday 4th September 2012
quotequote all
Weimerama. Mine hardly sheds at all and when he does it's so short you hardly notice.

Karyn

6,048 posts

80 months

Tuesday 4th September 2012
quotequote all
AdiT said:
Weimerama. Mine hardly sheds at all and when he does it's so short you hardly notice.
hehe

A weimaraner for a first time dog owner?


Our english bullie has practically no fur/hair on her anyway, but she still manages to shed it!

gog440

8,108 posts

102 months

Tuesday 4th September 2012
quotequote all
AtticusFinch said:
gog440 said:
Greyhound!

Easy to look after, big enough that a bloke doesnt look daft walking it but they curl up pretty small and they tend to be very healthy, they dont have the problems with inbreeding that a lot of breeds get. They are also really affectionate and good with kids/
http://www.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk/

We have had ours 2 years and he is lovelybiggrin
Don't they chase anything going?
No.

It depends on the dog obviously but in the 2 years we have had ours he has chased the sum total of 1 duck (it looked at him funny I think ) and 1 squirrel (that ran away).

We routinely walk our dog off the lead so he could chase things if he wanted but tbh it takes waaaaay too much effort so he doesnt bother.

AdiT

951 posts

69 months

Tuesday 4th September 2012
quotequote all
Karyn said:
hehe

A weimaraner for a first time dog owner?
Mine was/is my first dog... but I did hear that statement a lot when I first got him. He's turned out OK. Think the trick is to pick a quiet pup and leave the "fun" ones to other people.

Morningside

21,894 posts

141 months

Tuesday 4th September 2012
quotequote all
Dachshunds

Karyn

6,048 posts

80 months

Tuesday 4th September 2012
quotequote all
AdiT said:
Mine was/is my first dog... but I did hear that statement a lot when I first got him. He's turned out OK. Think the trick is to pick a quiet pup and leave the "fun" ones to other people.
Brave you! I think its because some of their breed characteristics are quite hard to manage if you've not got experience of dogs in general... like their prey-drive, high energy levels and their propencity to be "independent thinkers" (read: stubborn!). wink All add up to quite a complicated package!



We picked the 6 week old puppy (english bull terrier) who was trying to biff her rather large father on the nose with her tiny, tiny puppy paw! Boy, was she frustrated about being behind bars at the point in time! rolleyes


OP - I'm of the opinion that all dogs will shed, it's just as you point out, some will shed more than others. Shed fur from smaller breed, finer haired, short coat dog will obviously be less noticeable than, say, a newfie shedding... on which note, daschund is a good call! wink

RVVUNM

1,707 posts

121 months

Tuesday 4th September 2012
quotequote all
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/lightshedders.htm

Airedale Terrier gets my vote.

Karyn

6,048 posts

80 months

Tuesday 4th September 2012
quotequote all

Mobile Chicane

18,538 posts

124 months

Tuesday 4th September 2012
quotequote all
Lagotto Romagnolo.

Cracking dog, and just that bit different. They do need a lot of exercise though.

Happy82

Original Poster:

8,574 posts

81 months

Tuesday 4th September 2012
quotequote all
Thanks, we'll have a look into the ones suggested biggrin


PugwasHDJ80

6,409 posts

133 months

Wednesday 5th September 2012
quotequote all
Bearded collie- you genuinely wont find a single dog hair anywhere in the house (apart from when i step on his tail- iooops frown )

AdiT

951 posts

69 months

Wednesday 5th September 2012
quotequote all
PugwasHDJ80 said:
Bearded collie- you genuinely wont find a single dog hair anywhere in the house (apart from when i step on his tail- iooops frown )
...but you could well spend a lot of time washing the mud out if my friends beardy is anything to go by.

y2blade

56,027 posts

127 months

Wednesday 5th September 2012
quotequote all
Wheaten Terrier (my sister has one)

not only does it not shed hair but She has pet hair allergy and is fine with it...it is a Lovey dog.




Have a read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft-coated_Wheaten_T...