Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

jackal

Original Poster:

10,678 posts

165 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
Just came back from an amazing trip around Scotland. Nine 911's, some mindboggling roads and scenery and of course great company. Only took a few pics but thought I would share these and the amazing routes. I have tom tom files if anyone is interested.






























DAY 1


DAY 2


DAY 3


DAY 4





The most incredible route by far was this one ... around the Applecross penninsula then onto Little Loch Broom. This is the best route I have ever experienced in terms of england/wales/scotland. Nothing else touches it. The scenery as you round the penninsula is gobsmacking, like something straight out of "the land that time forgot" or homer's Oddyssey. It put the 'road to the isles' and the Crianlaricg-Glencoe runs totally in the shade.







Edited by jackal on Wednesday 3rd October 19:38

Luke.

6,397 posts

133 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
Looks like a fantastic trip. Plus, you went right by my in-laws near Bonar Bridge. smile

£9k for the Cayenne? wink

keep it lit

2,514 posts

50 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
great trip & pics, thanks for sharing!... i agree the highlands have the best roads in the land..

my fave on your route is the Fort William to Mallaig, a true beast of a road!!!

HAB

3,620 posts

110 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all


You're about 2 minutes from where I grew up! Skye has great 911 roads, well the ones with a surface, at least

Out of everywhere I'v ever driven in the 964 the road roar in Skye is the worst.

Slippydiff

6,203 posts

106 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
keep it lit said:
great trip & pics, thanks for sharing!... i agree the highlands have the best roads in the land..

my fave on your route is the Fort William to Mallaig, a true beast of a road!!!
Maybe Ade . . . . . .
The "anniversary" of the Mallaig road off was last Saturday night frown We'd spent a fantastic afternoon driving the Applecross road down to Fort William prior to tackling the FW to Mallaig road.

Advertisement

bobsan

491 posts

102 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
keep it lit said:
great trip & pics, thanks for sharing!... i agree the highlands have the best roads in the land..

my fave on your route is the Fort William to Mallaig, a true beast of a road!!!
mine too, that is truly a stretch road that can match anything the Alps have to offer.

did this almost exact route 2400 miles of it this last Aug, after Moffat could have taken the Kielder Forest rally stage, another stunning drive.

what also impressed me and made the whole trip that much more enjoyable was the complete lack of fund generating devices day after day in Northern Scotland.

chfs911

688 posts

109 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
If I was you I'd get your Sat Nav checked out.

If you want to go from Edinburgh to Glasgow the M8 is the road to take.

Looks like a nice detour and you must have gone past my door on Loch Tummel!

Should have stopped at the 3 Chimneys in Skye. Lunch there is great.

BnB

1,005 posts

58 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
keep it lit said:
great trip & pics, thanks for sharing!... i agree the highlands have the best roads in the land..

my fave on your route is the Fort William to Mallaig, a true beast of a road!!!
Absolutely. Especially now it's been resurfaced and with the addition of many more overtaking opportunities. Pretty much the best in the land.

Skye is fantastic but the roads are in a sorry state.


keep it lit

2,514 posts

50 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
BnB said:
Absolutely. Especially now it's been resurfaced and with the addition of many more overtaking opportunities. Pretty much the best in the land.

Skye is fantastic but the roads are in a sorry state.
indeed sir!

jackal

Original Poster:

10,678 posts

165 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
I have to say I was a little disappointed with fort william to Mallaig. I guess it just wasn't windy and circuitous enough for me. The scenery is better than the drive IMO. And as far as fast open sections go i found the A890 down to lochcarron better ... just a bonkers road that.

keep it lit

2,514 posts

50 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
jackal said:
I have to say I was a little disappointed with fort william to Mallaig. I guess it just wasn't windy and circuitous enough for me. The scenery is better than the drive IMO. And as far as fast open sections go i found the A890 down to lochcarron better ... just a bonkers road that.
going of your windy & circuitous description I can fully see why you like the applecross peg.. for me the fort william to mallaig road reminds me of the ring with it big speed inclined bends and epic straights.. but what I like more is the openness of the road in front of you with no treeline or hedges to obscure the assault!!

Acf69

365 posts

54 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
Looks a little on the wet side.... Must have been a great trip

gaters

754 posts

80 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
That looks some trip that does. Wouldn't mind doing that myself if you repeat it next year!! smile

redback911

719 posts

149 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
Looks like a great trip. Thanks for sharing the routes and images!

mhh

1,061 posts

125 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
jackal, I'm in Portree having followed your Day 1 (more or less). Where did you stay the second night? That looks pretty remote.

shocks

529 posts

47 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
mhh said:
jackal, I'm in Portree having followed your Day 1 (more or less). Where did you stay the second night? That looks pretty remote.
Looks like Torridon from the posted map - fantastic place and hotel is one of the best in the UK. http://www.thetorridon.com/

There is also the Torridon Inn - right next door to the hotel if the hotel is full - failing that Ullapool further north has some greats places to stay as well if you following the 911uk route


OlberJ

13,854 posts

116 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
Acf69 said:
Looks a little on the wet side.... Must have been a great trip
Ha! That's almost bone dry for up here.

Cracking run out. Wish we'd known you were all coming, we'd have put on a welcome party and joined you for part of the run.

mhh

1,061 posts

125 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
shocks said:
Looks like Torridon from the posted map - fantastic place and hotel is one of the best in the UK. http://www.thetorridon.com/

There is also the Torridon Inn - right next door to the hotel if the hotel is full - failing that Ullapool further north has some greats places to stay as well if you following the 911uk route
Thanks - that looks ideal. smile

jackal

Original Poster:

10,678 posts

165 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
mhh said:
jackal, I'm in Portree having followed your Day 1 (more or less). Where did you stay the second night? That looks pretty remote.
The Dundonnel, edge of little loch broom

mhh

1,061 posts

125 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
jackal said:
The Dundonnel, edge of little loch broom
Thank you!

Reply to Topic