PistonHeads.com Forum

997S at Northway £20k

997S at Northway £20k

Author
Discussion

river_rat

Original Poster:

314 posts

105 months

Sunday 7th October 2012
quotequote all
Does anyone know this car

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/classifieds/use...

What are people's views on this? Obviously high miles but Northway warranty for security.

I was thinking 996 C4S with around 60k miles originally, but this is so close in price that I'm thinking it is better value for money?

I will use this daily and add 12k miles per annum. Runnning costs are not a concern (within reason) having owned 2 996's and an Audi RS4 previously. Suppose my main concerns are the engine issues, esp bore scoring.

cmoose

32,683 posts

131 months

Sunday 7th October 2012
quotequote all
If you just plan to own for a year or can extend the warranty to cover the period of ownership, what's not to like?

huytonman

266 posts

96 months

Sunday 7th October 2012
quotequote all
I agree, at that price and with a warranty it has to be worth a look. Also I doubt that Ray would put his name to it if he didnt feel sure it was a decent piece of kit.

Barry Ashcroft

1,935 posts

123 months

Sunday 7th October 2012
quotequote all
I'd worry about how much of your 20k you'd see back in 2 years with 120k miles on the clock I bet not a lot. But a 996 C4S with 80k miles you'd see more of it back.

jakesmith

1,019 posts

73 months

Tuesday 9th October 2012
quotequote all
Ray is a total legend, I'm just buying a motor from him at the moment & he's really helping me out sorting loads of bits & pieces out for me.
Advertisement

mollytherocker

13,400 posts

111 months

Tuesday 9th October 2012
quotequote all
Barry Ashcroft said:
I'd worry about how much of your 20k you'd see back in 2 years with 120k miles on the clock I bet not a lot. But a 996 C4S with 80k miles you'd see more of it back.
I'm not sure I get your logic there. I reckon the 997 would do better but admit there wouldnt be much in it.

Mtr

JW911

791 posts

97 months

Wednesday 10th October 2012
quotequote all
Can't help with 997 stuff but Mrs JW911 bought a 987 from Ray not long ago. Fully recommend.

5678

5,650 posts

129 months

Wednesday 10th October 2012
quotequote all
mollytherocker said:
Barry Ashcroft said:
I'd worry about how much of your 20k you'd see back in 2 years with 120k miles on the clock I bet not a lot. But a 996 C4S with 80k miles you'd see more of it back.
I'm not sure I get your logic there. I reckon the 997 would do better but admit there wouldnt be much in it.

Mtr
Curious for people's opinion on this. It's probably where I'll be budget wise (despite wanting a 996TT, running costs dictate) and having to choose between a 6C4S and a 7C2S.

Porkupine

1,615 posts

67 months

Wednesday 10th October 2012
quotequote all
5678 said:
Curious for people's opinion on this. It's probably where I'll be budget wise (despite wanting a 996TT, running costs dictate) and having to choose between a 6C4S and a 7C2S.
Having had both c4s and turbo in 996 guise, I can honestly say running cots are not different. (If anything whilst I had each, the c4s cost me more in maintenance!) The turbos really are bulletproof in many respects - especially mechanically. Fuel, servicing, tyres, suspension, brakes, all the same! SO go with the TURBO!!

hugedouche

62 posts

41 months

Wednesday 10th October 2012
quotequote all
5678 said:
Curious for people's opinion on this. It's probably where I'll be budget wise (despite wanting a 996TT, running costs dictate) and having to choose between a 6C4S and a 7C2S.
For me that's a such a clear choice , the c2s - more power, better dynamics better styling , more modern interior.... the 996 c4s only betters it if you're looking at its rear!

That c2s from northway looks a great buy, they are only going to retail sound kit and I don't see the mileage as an issues, for a nearly 8yr old car thats c.12k ml pa.

river_rat

Original Poster:

314 posts

105 months

Wednesday 10th October 2012
quotequote all
Still pondering this one.

the Northway car @ £20k, a private sale 60K miler for around £22-23K or a private sale 02 996TT with 75k miles for £22/23k.

I fancy the bullet proof TT engine, but prefer the more modern 997 looks (and room inside, I'm 6 foot 6). Private sale 60k miler and put a warranty on it maybe (Warranty Direct offer one for £875 which 'seems' to cover the main engine issues)?

MrTickle

1,785 posts

141 months

Wednesday 10th October 2012
quotequote all
Porkupine said:
5678 said:
Curious for people's opinion on this. It's probably where I'll be budget wise (despite wanting a 996TT, running costs dictate) and having to choose between a 6C4S and a 7C2S.
Having had both c4s and turbo in 996 guise, I can honestly say running cots are not different. (If anything whilst I had each, the c4s cost me more in maintenance!) The turbos really are bulletproof in many respects - especially mechanically. Fuel, servicing, tyres, suspension, brakes, all the same! SO go with the TURBO!!
+1 on this - if you want a turbo, don't let running costs put you off. Fuel is the same, servicing not much different, Turbo motor is bullet proof and for some bizarre reason my turbo's were cheaper to insure than the C2/C2S's

As for the driving experience, that's a different matter - I think the non turbos are much more fun every day.

gibbon

1,274 posts

109 months

Wednesday 10th October 2012
quotequote all
river_rat said:
Still pondering this one.

the Northway car @ £20k, a private sale 60K miler for around £22-23K or a private sale 02 996TT with 75k miles for £22/23k.

I fancy the bullet proof TT engine, but prefer the more modern 997 looks (and room inside, I'm 6 foot 6). Private sale 60k miler and put a warranty on it maybe (Warranty Direct offer one for £875 which 'seems' to cover the main engine issues)?
For me? Easy, 60k private at 22k with a PPI.