PistonHeads.com Forum

Service Costs Beware!

Author
Discussion

iib441

Original Poster:

45 posts

87 months

Saturday 13th October 2012
quotequote all
Just had my 430 F1 Spider serviced at a main dealer and when I asked how much before they did it I was quoted just over £1,000 for an annual. I said to them you can do better than that, and within 30 seconds the price dropped over £300!

All I say is make sure you haggle because there are deals to be had... Just ask! But I do think its wrong a main dealer can do that; how many people paid the £1,000!?!?


355spiderguy

123 posts

83 months

Saturday 13th October 2012
quotequote all
I've haggled with every service price i have been offered @ Ferrari, and always had a very reasonable discounted rate...

I just assumed everyone never accepts the first price estimate at all main dealers...

steelej

1,750 posts

119 months

Saturday 13th October 2012
quotequote all
iib441 said:
Just had my 430 F1 Spider serviced at a main dealer and when I asked how much before they did it I was quoted just over £1,000 for an annual. I said to them you can do better than that, and within 30 seconds the price dropped over £300!

All I say is make sure you haggle because there are deals to be had... Just ask! But I do think its wrong a main dealer can do that; how many people paid the £1,000!?!?
I'm about to go for an annual for my 430, any chance to you could private message me the dealer you used?

John.

johnnyreggae

1,947 posts

72 months

Saturday 13th October 2012
quotequote all
There's price target guidance at supercarhub

SpeckledJim

10,811 posts

165 months

Saturday 13th October 2012
quotequote all
iib441 said:
Just had my 430 F1 Spider serviced at a main dealer and when I asked how much before they did it I was quoted just over £1,000 for an annual. I said to them you can do better than that, and within 30 seconds the price dropped over £300!

All I say is make sure you haggle because there are deals to be had... Just ask! But I do think its wrong a main dealer can do that; how many people paid the £1,000!?!?
Make your mind up. Do you want to pay a lot but the same as everyone else, or be rewarded for a cheeky haggle?
Advertisement

Cerbieherts

1,556 posts

53 months

Saturday 13th October 2012
quotequote all
iib441 said:
Just had my 430 F1 Spider serviced at a main dealer and when I asked how much before they did it I was quoted just over £1,000 for an annual. I said to them you can do better than that, and within 30 seconds the price dropped over £300!

All I say is make sure you haggle because there are deals to be had... Just ask! But I do think its wrong a main dealer can do that; how many people paid the £1,000!?!?
Was the £1000 including 2 year items too?

icetea

846 posts

54 months

Sunday 14th October 2012
quotequote all
iib441 said:
Just had my 430 F1 Spider serviced at a main dealer and when I asked how much before they did it I was quoted just over £1,000 for an annual. I said to them you can do better than that, and within 30 seconds the price dropped over £300!

All I say is make sure you haggle because there are deals to be had... Just ask! But I do think its wrong a main dealer can do that; how many people paid the £1,000!?!?
I don't like this at all... I don't enjoy haggling like some pauper so I'd rather anyone I have to deal with just prices things fairly to begin with. Not pricing over, half expecting me to beg for £50 off.

red_duke

639 posts

93 months

Sunday 14th October 2012
quotequote all
I just paid £580 including VAT for the annual on my F430 at an official dealer. I was quoted £1100 at my usual dealership.

The differential is insulting and unjustified. Is this unique to the Ferrari marque?

Blues

8,544 posts

131 months

Sunday 14th October 2012
quotequote all
red_duke said:
I just paid £580 including VAT for the annual on my F430 at an official dealer. I was quoted £1100 at my usual dealership.

The differential is insulting and unjustified. Is this unique to the Ferrari marque?
Please share the name of the dealer you used. I have mine coming up soon, and would be happy to save £500 smile

Cerbieherts

1,556 posts

53 months

Sunday 14th October 2012
quotequote all
Main dealers are able to work with smaller margins as they can buy parts and bulk oil at far bigger discounts than specialists. Dealers often undercut specialists because many of the older cars have long left previously over expensive main dealerships.Be aware that all services are not equal, make sure you get your money's worth!

Camlet

929 posts

61 months

Sunday 14th October 2012
quotequote all
Cerbieherts said:
Main dealers are able to work with smaller margins as they can buy parts and bulk oil at far bigger discounts than specialists. Dealers often undercut specialists because many of the older cars have long left previously over expensive main dealerships.Be aware that all services are not equal, make sure you get your money's worth!
Sounds like you're advocating large dealers over specialists? My Ferrari (large) main dealer placed faulty tanks in my F40 which meant I was driving around in a bomb. It took a specialist to sort it and 8 months of me haggling with the main dealer for them to finally pay up for the replacement tanks. Deeply unimpressive.

red_duke

639 posts

93 months

Sunday 14th October 2012
quotequote all
Blues said:
red_duke said:
I just paid £580 including VAT for the annual on my F430 at an official dealer. I was quoted £1100 at my usual dealership.

The differential is insulting and unjustified. Is this unique to the Ferrari marque?
Please share the name of the dealer you used. I have mine coming up soon, and would be happy to save £500 smile
Graypaul Ferrari, Nottingham. Discovered through supercarhub.com

Cerbieherts

1,556 posts

53 months

Sunday 14th October 2012
quotequote all
Camlet said:
Sounds like you're advocating large dealers over specialists? My Ferrari (large) main dealer placed faulty tanks in my F40 which meant I was driving around in a bomb. It took a specialist to sort it and 8 months of me haggling with the main dealer for them to finally pay up for the replacement tanks. Deeply unimpressive.
Far from it. I've repaired plenty of botched Ferrari's that have had the "loving attention" of a dealer. I've been fixing f-cars for 20 years. I was simply demonstrating how a dealer can offer such large discounts over many specialists. Not always with a good result.

VMLondon

560 posts

87 months

Sunday 14th October 2012
quotequote all
Cerbieherts said:
Far from it. I've repaired plenty of botched Ferrari's that have had the "loving attention" of a dealer. I've been fixing f-cars for 20 years. I was simply demonstrating how a dealer can offer such large discounts over many specialists. Not always with a good result.
My sentiments exactly! Though unfortunately I can only claim half the years doing it!

Where are you based Cerbieherts? What's your company called? PM me if better!

Cerbieherts

1,556 posts

53 months

Sunday 14th October 2012
quotequote all
Not on here to generate business. I mostly hang around the tvr area as that's what I drive, but like to help out with tech info over here. Will pm you! smile

Adz man

280 posts

71 months

Sunday 14th October 2012
quotequote all
As mentioned...supercarhub

Cerbieherts

1,556 posts

53 months

Sunday 14th October 2012
quotequote all
Agreed Adam. Good resource. Just check what you get for your money. A proper service, even an annual, when done properly cannot be done for some prices quoted on the 'net....

steelej

1,750 posts

119 months

Monday 15th October 2012
quotequote all
I use supercarhub but have never seen an annual for 300quid, knowing the dealer would help with negotiations smile

John.

London John

341 posts

52 months

Monday 15th October 2012
quotequote all
Other than getting fresh cars from the same factory, main dealer service departments are anything but alike.

I've had both ends of the spectrum from different main Fcar dealers.

Blues

8,544 posts

131 months

Monday 15th October 2012
quotequote all
red_duke said:
Graypaul Ferrari, Nottingham. Discovered through supercarhub.com
thumbup thanks

I've been happy with Carrs in Exeter, but its useful to have recommended alternatives