Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Checkmate

Original Poster:

325 posts

92 months

[news] 
Thursday 3rd January 2013 quote quote all
Just pondering, as above. When my peers and myself first started driving, me and a friend both had old Minis. Both started with 998s. His always sounded a bit different to mine, though we did have different exhaust systems. Mine was HC, his the slightly tamer LC spec, shy a few BHP on mine. His sounded a bit more "airy", not as metallic and rowdy, if that makes sense. Came to my mind as I have been recently using my 325i as an everyday car, and compared to the engine in the Alpina, which has a raised CR above standard, the difference in noise seems similarly different, in a way, but then that has a different exhaust system too... Is there a good technical explanation?

Pasteurised

296 posts

37 months

[news] 
Thursday 3rd January 2013 quote quote all

digger the goat

1,434 posts

30 months

[news] 
Thursday 3rd January 2013 quote quote all
Nice alternative to 'Whoosh Parrot'


Possibly air filter btw

Checkmate

Original Poster:

325 posts

92 months

[news] 
Thursday 3rd January 2013 quote quote all
Pasteurised said:
Thanks for the intelligent and informed response. What is that even meant to mean?

s p a c e m a n

7,858 posts

33 months

[news] 
Thursday 3rd January 2013 quote quote all
I like the pigeon biggrin

Are we talking different sound from the exhaust, induction or engine? Either way I doubt that compression ratios are the main factor.
Advertisement

Checkmate

Original Poster:

325 posts

92 months

[news] 
Thursday 3rd January 2013 quote quote all
s p a c e m a n said:
I like the pigeon biggrin

Are we talking different sound from the exhaust, induction or engine? Either way I doubt that compression ratios are the main factor.
Different sound from everywhere, really, when driving along in the car. Certainly the engine, and the exhaust too. Induction seems to sound the same, on both of the examples I used. Certainly more of an agressive note in the higher compression variants.

GroundEffect

7,957 posts

41 months

[news] 
Thursday 3rd January 2013 quote quote all
You have different exhausts. They sound different. What a surprise.

Checkmate

Original Poster:

325 posts

92 months

[news] 
Thursday 3rd January 2013 quote quote all
GroundEffect said:
You have different exhausts. They sound different. What a surprise.
The only difference in the exhausts, on the Mini at least, was that my friend's had a dinky little silencer in the through pipe, which mine lacked, again that exhaust made a different note when I fitted it to a different friend's car.
Perhaps it's cam profiling, duration, lift etc. In the way that a VTEC will dramatically change note when it shifts over.

Tegis

53 posts

119 months

[news] 
Thursday 3rd January 2013 quote quote all
Higher pressure will give a louder bang with slightly differnt frequency components when the exhaustvalve opens so compression ratio matters

Checkmate

Original Poster:

325 posts

92 months

[news] 
Thursday 3rd January 2013 quote quote all
Tegis said:
Higher pressure will give a louder bang with slightly differnt frequency components when the exhaustvalve opens so compression ratio matters
Bigger bang was only about 10% power difference in our earlier engines. Makes sense though I guess. Higher compression engine, more power, different noise.
Those different frequency components being the size of the exhaust ports, manifold, different resonances in the exhaust system due to differing materials? Differing pulses on the exhaust timing?

GroundEffect

7,957 posts

41 months

[news] 
Thursday 3rd January 2013 quote quote all
Checkmate said:
The only difference in the exhausts, on the Mini at least, was that my friend's had a dinky little silencer in the through pipe, which mine lacked, again that exhaust made a different note when I fitted it to a different friend's car.
Perhaps it's cam profiling, duration, lift etc. In the way that a VTEC will dramatically change note when it shifts over.
If you have different cam profiles then yes you should expect a different noise.

Krikkit

4,990 posts

66 months

[news] 
Thursday 3rd January 2013 quote quote all
Checkmate said:
Tegis said:
Higher pressure will give a louder bang with slightly differnt frequency components when the exhaustvalve opens so compression ratio matters
Bigger bang was only about 10% power difference in our earlier engines. Makes sense though I guess. Higher compression engine, more power, different noise.
Those different frequency components being the size of the exhaust ports, manifold, different resonances in the exhaust system due to differing materials? Differing pulses on the exhaust timing?
All of that will change the noise, some of it might be subtle, but that's all it takes!
Reply to Topic