Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

LiamM45

Original Poster:

1,014 posts

65 months

[news] 
Wednesday 23rd January 2013 quote quote all
Hi folks.

The other night I bought a new car, I say new, it's just an Audi A4 TDi, all £800's worth.

Anyway, after looking at the car, test driving, all that fuss, it turned out to be pretty clean and we agreed a deal. At the time I was borrowing a car and needed a car for day to day use rather urgently so needed the car that night. Lady selling then told me she didn't have the documents at home and do I still want the car tonight. I said yes, but asked her to write out a receipt. Since then I have contacted her about getting the rest of the documents with no joy - I've been had basically. Pity, because the car is pretty nice for what it is and in VGC.

So, I'm going to apply for the V5 today at my DVLA office. Am I going to have any problems in getting the V5 in my name, could there potentially be a dispute over the registered keeper?

larrylamb11

274 posts

136 months

[news] 
Wednesday 23rd January 2013 quote quote all
Is this a joke?

RtdRacer

1,274 posts

86 months

[news] 
Wednesday 23rd January 2013 quote quote all
Apply for the V5. Odds are that you'll get it.

Worst case scenario is that the car is nicked and you lose £800, but it's unlikely.

Was it a 2011 plate one, with all the trimmings? ;-)

Spanna

2,167 posts

61 months

[news] 
Wednesday 23rd January 2013 quote quote all
LiamM45 said:
Hi folks.

The other night I bought a new car, I say new, it's just an Audi A4 TDi, all £800's worth.

Anyway, after looking at the car, test driving, all that fuss, it turned out to be pretty clean and we agreed a deal. At the time I was borrowing a car and needed a car for day to day use rather urgently so needed the car that night. Lady selling then told me she didn't have the documents at home and do I still want the car tonight. I said yes, but asked her to write out a receipt. Since then I have contacted her about getting the rest of the documents with no joy - I've been had basically. Pity, because the car is pretty nice for what it is and in VGC.

So, I'm going to apply for the V5 today at my DVLA office. Am I going to have any problems in getting the V5 in my name, could there potentially be a dispute over the registered keeper?
To apply for the V5C the form is called a V62, there is a £25 fee for this and the document is downloadable here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_...

It sounds like you have the car and a receipt, so presuming she doesn't argue the V62 form you send then the V5C will be sent to you in your name in 4-6 weeks. I've bought two vehicles in the past in this way, with a receipt but no V5C and haven't had an issue.



Vulgar LS2

1,729 posts

68 months

[news] 
Wednesday 23rd January 2013 quote quote all
There is a form to fill in which will ask you the circumatances as to why there is no V5, send it off with a cheque for £25 and then wait for your V5.
Advertisement

JumboBeef

2,461 posts

62 months

[news] 
Wednesday 23rd January 2013 quote quote all
As long as you didn't buy it off someone in a motorway service car park, you'll be fine. I always sell my cars without the V5 (due to removing personal number plates) but I do forward them on once I get them back.

matchmaker

4,294 posts

85 months

[news] 
Wednesday 23rd January 2013 quote quote all
Vulgar LS2 said:
There is a form to fill in which will ask you the circumatances as to why there is no V5, send it off with a cheque for £25 and then wait for your V5.
Not quite.If you buy a car and don't get the V5 from the seller, you don't have to pay a fee.

kiethton

4,964 posts

65 months

[news] 
Wednesday 23rd January 2013 quote quote all
Lets just hope the V5 isn't with a V5 loan company who will call around (using your provided address) to collect their loan collateral

Vulgar LS2

1,729 posts

68 months

[news] 
Wednesday 23rd January 2013 quote quote all
matchmaker said:
Vulgar LS2 said:
There is a form to fill in which will ask you the circumatances as to why there is no V5, send it off with a cheque for £25 and then wait for your V5.
Not quite.If you buy a car and don't get the V5 from the seller, you don't have to pay a fee.
Yep you still pay if there is no V5, you need the new keeper part for the charge to be waived, which I don't think the OP has.

I had to do this a couple of months back.

Lifted from the link a few post up,

You do not have to pay a fee in the following circumstances.
• If you are the new keeper and the previous keeper failed to tell us
about the change, you must have the New keeper’s details section
(V5C/2) from the V5C and send it to us with this application form.
• If the vehicle has been categorised as C salvage (repairs would cost
more than the vehicle was worth) by the insurance company and
they have destroyed the V5C. We will carry out checks to make sure
this is the case.
You have to pay for the following categories:
A = scrap only, B = break for spare parts only, and D = repairable.
You can get more information on salvage categories from the insurance company

Snowboy

8,027 posts

36 months

[news] 
Wednesday 23rd January 2013 quote quote all
kiethton said:
Lets just hope the V5 isn't with a V5 loan company who will call around (using your provided address) to collect their loan collateral
If that happens I assume the OP has a legal case against the seller.
Assuming the seller still lives at the address .. etc.

LiamM45

Original Poster:

1,014 posts

65 months

[news] 
Wednesday 23rd January 2013 quote quote all
Thanks for the responses. I've been to the DVLA and they don't expect a problem with it.

The seller was a trader who operated from home. Very nice house and the car was very clean and subsequently seems very well maintained so little reason to suggest foul play, personally I think they just didn't have the bottle to tell me they had lost the documents as I had already haggled a lot off the price.

As for whether this is a joke... no... if I was buying an expensive car I see your point. On an £800 workhorse I can live with no history and having to apply for a logbook. I have enough about me to know whether something is a scam.

Thanks for the responses

shep1001

3,084 posts

74 months

[news] 
Wednesday 23rd January 2013 quote quote all
kiethton said:
Lets just hope the V5 isn't with a V5 loan company who will call around (using your provided address) to collect their loan collateral
My money is on this. How long has the tax/MOT got to run before you actually need a V5?

LiamM45

Original Poster:

1,014 posts

65 months

[news] 
Wednesday 23rd January 2013 quote quote all
Decent 6mnths tax in the window. Cant remember the MOT but that's not an issue.

I can't imagine any outstanding finance on such a car. Or do you mean some kind of logbook loan then sell the car and don't pay the loan?

shep1001

3,084 posts

74 months

[news] 
Wednesday 23rd January 2013 quote quote all
LiamM45 said:
Decent 6mnths tax in the window. Cant remember the MOT but that's not an issue.

I can't imagine any outstanding finance on such a car. Or do you mean some kind of logbook loan then sell the car and don't pay the loan?
Log book loan secured against the car; the next step after porning your jewellery at crack converters

CubanPete

656 posts

73 months

[news] 
Wednesday 23rd January 2013 quote quote all
I reckon a parking ticket or two will speed the transfer along nicely.

KelWedge

1,028 posts

70 months

[news] 
Wednesday 23rd January 2013 quote quote all
My mazda had no service books, manuals, service history or v5, bought it off a trader, he said not a problem filled in form he paid the 25 pounds, wait a few weeks log book sorry v5 arrives no problem, previous keeps name was shown with a note address unknown. No problems brill carsmile

grumpy

835 posts

126 months

[news] 
Thursday 24th January 2013 quote quote all
I bought from a dealer and it wasn't until I went to pick the car up that I realised he didn't have the V5. The car had been on a private plate. Anyway the dealer applied for the V5 at his own cost, the problem was I couldn't tax the car and the V5 took nearly 5 weeks to come through.

cheesesliceking

996 posts

125 months

[news] 
Thursday 24th January 2013 quote quote all
shep1001 said:
Log book loan secured against the car; the next step after porning your jewellery at crack converters
On a £800 car? unlikely.

TVR1

3,990 posts

110 months

[news] 
Thursday 24th January 2013 quote quote all
kiethton said:
Lets just hope the V5 isn't with a V5 loan company who will call around (using your provided address) to collect their loan collateral
Only if they have registered the Bill of Sale with the High Court. If not, tough.
Reply to Topic