Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

alftupper

Original Poster:

66 posts

47 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th September 2013 quote quote all
Imagine the UK national debt as a pile of £1 coins and you had the job of counting them out , how long would it take if you could count one per second and you worked non stop 24 hours a day 7 days a week . Assume National Debt as being £1.2 Trillion . I did try working it out but the numbers appeared too large . Also , if you placed the coins on top of each other how high would the stack be .

Funk

15,046 posts

94 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th September 2013 quote quote all
I think I'm right in saying it would take you 38,051.8 years or 38 millennia and that if you placed 1.2tn £1 coins on top of each other it would reach a height of 3.78m kilometres.

Edited by Funk on Tuesday 24th September 00:16

AnonSpoilSport

12,955 posts

61 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th September 2013 quote quote all
Funk said:
I think I'm right in saying it would take you 38,051.8 years or 38 millennia and that if you placed 1.2tn £1 coins on top of each other it would reach a height of 3.78m kilometres.

Edited by Funk on Tuesday 24th September 00:16
Ah, but you'd be 20 some months in, counting, and Ed Balls would loom up and add loads more coins to your pile. So you'd have to live even longer!

Murph7355

10,357 posts

141 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th September 2013 quote quote all
You wouldn't be counting quick enough to keep pace with the deficit. So you would never actually get to the end.


steveT350C

2,426 posts

46 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th September 2013 quote quote all
There are 604800 seconds in a week.

UK debt is increasing by about £2.3bn per week.


Advertisement

Hugo a Gogo

17,692 posts

118 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th September 2013 quote quote all
Funk said:
I think I'm right in saying it would take you 38,051.8 years or 38 millennia and that if you placed 1.2tn £1 coins on top of each other it would reach a height of 3.78m kilometres.
and it would weigh 11.4 billion metric tons
or about 1.5 tonnes of coins for every man, woman, and child in the world

BoRED S2upid

10,565 posts

125 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th September 2013 quote quote all
steveT350C said:
There are 604800 seconds in a week.

UK debt is increasing by about £2.3bn per week.
Is that all!

Hugo a Gogo

17,692 posts

118 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th September 2013 quote quote all
or 4.5 billion tons of gold

which is 26 thousand times as much gold as there actually is in the world

steveT350C

2,426 posts

46 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th September 2013 quote quote all
BoRED S2upid said:
steveT350C said:
There are 604800 seconds in a week.

UK debt is increasing by about £2.3bn per week.
Is that all!
The 2.3bn I got from wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_nation...



http://www.taxpayersalliance.com/debtclock/

This suggests just over 3bn per week if my maths correct. I am of course happy to be corrected! smile

AnonSpoilSport

12,955 posts

61 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th September 2013 quote quote all
Hugo a Gogo said:
Funk said:
I think I'm right in saying it would take you 38,051.8 years or 38 millennia and that if you placed 1.2tn £1 coins on top of each other it would reach a height of 3.78m kilometres.
and it would weigh 11.4 billion metric tons
or about 1.5 tonnes of coins for every man, woman, and child in the world
That's a big settee. Be a bit 'lumpy', that.

Digga

13,429 posts

168 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th September 2013 quote quote all
Murph7355 said:
You wouldn't be counting quick enough to keep pace with the deficit. So you would never actually get to the end.
^This.

You might as well see how many of the coins you can stuff into your foreskin.

hedgefinder

2,580 posts

55 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th September 2013 quote quote all
lots of mathematical questions regarding the UK economy answered here ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdyQd6Xks7A

Hugo a Gogo

17,692 posts

118 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th September 2013 quote quote all
link here http://www.labnol.org/internet/visualize-numbers-h... visualising a trillion in US 100 dollar bills

so for Sterling you'd have to double that really for 50 pound notes (which are bigger as well, but we'll ignore that

so twenty full metre cube pallets is a billion pounds, that's a good truck full

then you'd need a thousand of them for a trillion

Asterix

20,348 posts

113 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th September 2013 quote quote all
Digga said:
Murph7355 said:
You wouldn't be counting quick enough to keep pace with the deficit. So you would never actually get to the end.
^This.

You might as well see how many of the coins you can stuff into your foreskin.
15 it seems...

AnonSpoilSport

12,955 posts

61 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th September 2013 quote quote all
Asterix said:
Digga said:
Murph7355 said:
You wouldn't be counting quick enough to keep pace with the deficit. So you would never actually get to the end.
^This.

You might as well see how many of the coins you can stuff into your foreskin.
15 it seems...
Damn, I only got 12...

51mes

755 posts

85 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th September 2013 quote quote all
Would you gents disinfect those coins before putting them back into circulation please... ;-)

Nothing personal - I could just do without that thought when I go to buy a pint next.

OTOH if we did that with money perhaps people would be less likely to spend it ;-)

over_the_hill

1,980 posts

131 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th September 2013 quote quote all
another nice visual - scroll down

http://usdebt.kleptocracy.us/

Asterix

20,348 posts

113 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th September 2013 quote quote all
51mes said:
Would you gents disinfect those coins before putting them back into circulation please... ;-)

Nothing personal - I could just do without that thought when I go to buy a pint next.

OTOH if we did that with money perhaps people would be less likely to spend it ;-)
I can also get a roll of 28 £50 notes up my bum as well. Think about that while you hold a note in your mouth while fumbling for smaller change wink

AnonSpoilSport

12,955 posts

61 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th September 2013 quote quote all
Asterix said:
I can also get a roll of 28 £50 notes up my bum as well. Think about that while you hold a note in your mouth while fumbling for smaller change wink
Ah, this one I do win - 36 and counting...woohoo

steveT350C

2,426 posts

46 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th September 2013 quote quote all
over_the_hill said:
another nice visual - scroll down

http://usdebt.kleptocracy.us/
That is a tad concerning!
2
Reply to Topic