Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

schaeffs

Original Poster:

141 posts

30 months

[news] 
Sunday 6th October 2013 quote quote all
All -- Looking at buying a good double Din Sat Nav unit for the car to replace the frankly useless PCM 2.1 - have been searching on here but there isn't really a definitive view on what the best one out there at the moment is. Does anyone have views or first hand experiences?

Top priority is a 3D Sat Nav with 7 digit codes and proper iphone 5S linkage.

Saw this unit and thought it was quite good but would appreciate views.

http://www.audiofile-incar.co.uk/index.php?option=...

gaxor

249 posts

141 months

[news] 
Sunday 6th October 2013 quote quote all

Slickhillsy

678 posts

31 months

[news] 
Monday 7th October 2013 quote quote all

I was thinking of doing the same in mine - till I realised how awful an aftermarket system will look in place. I spoke to OPC in Sussex a month or so ago and apparently Porsche are releasing a software update to allow full postcode search + euro map update. He advised to wait till the New Year and then upgrade...

metasys

1 posts

18 months

[news] 
Monday 7th October 2013 quote quote all
I have been told by my local OPC that there was no update available for my system and it was unlikely that Porsche would provide an upgrade (2010 is the latest and still no full postcode search). I have PCM3.0 in a 2009 997C2S The issue is that on an extended warranty I have been told that even a change of the satnav system will invalidate that warranty. In my 330D I just fitted a Kenwood Double DIN unit and suddenly my Nav and integration issues disappeared. I cannot see what a radio/comms system brand has to do with a warranty as long as it sits correctly on a data bus. Research shows that Porsche supplied a plate to enable installation of any head unit in Japan. Errr That would be the home of many manufacturers of combined systems ... isnt it?

What is the considered opinion of the forum. Forget the warranty... Or wait... wait... wait .... ZZZzzzzz

andyglos

125 posts

90 months

[news] 
Monday 7th October 2013 quote quote all
Agree with metasays on the Japan option front. The 997 spares catalogue shows a double din surround specifically for the Japan market and all the bits to go with it. What is unclear to me is what you stand to lose on the dash info display. People at OPCs I have spoken to for info normally suck in a lot of air between clenched teeth before warning of he perils and pitfalls of swapping out pcm2.1 for a double din. However, given the option was provided for the Japan market I would say that Porsche are missing out by not providing an official mod for upgrade via OPCs.
Advertisement

Magic919

9,640 posts

89 months

[news] 
Monday 7th October 2013 quote quote all
metasys said:
I have been told by my local OPC that there was no update available for my system and it was unlikely that Porsche would provide an upgrade (2010 is the latest and still no full postcode search).
Spoken to them lately? I heard they were offering an upgrade with full postcodes a few weeks ago.

Ady128

415 posts

31 months

[news] 
Monday 7th October 2013 quote quote all
Magic919 said:
metasys said:
I have been told by my local OPC that there was no update available for my system and it was unlikely that Porsche would provide an upgrade (2010 is the latest and still no full postcode search).
Spoken to them lately? I heard they were offering an upgrade with full postcodes a few weeks ago.
Would this upgrade apply to early 991 models as my car only takes the 1st 5 digits?

schaeffs

Original Poster:

141 posts

30 months

[news] 
Monday 7th October 2013 quote quote all
Slickhillsy said:
I was thinking of doing the same in mine - till I realised how awful an aftermarket system will look in place. I spoke to OPC in Sussex a month or so ago and apparently Porsche are releasing a software update to allow full postcode search + euro map update. He advised to wait till the New Year and then upgrade...
Thanks for all the replies. Like the look of that Alpine - there is apparently an 8" unit that fits as well...

This 7" one in the US looks a decent install

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cubOg6azWIM

On the look of it - have seen a few fantastic installs online and they look better than the standard 2.1 set-up to be fair. What I really want to know is what's the best for Sat Nav and iPhone out of the Alpine / Kenwood / Pioneer etc makers?? I have heard Garmin on Kenwood is decent but don't have much else to go on...


gred

54 posts

57 months

[news] 
Tuesday 8th October 2013 quote quote all
Magic919 said:
Spoken to them lately? I heard they were offering an upgrade with full postcodes a few weeks ago.
There is an OPC upgrade available at Exeter, but the official line is that Porsche are still working on a fix for some glitches that can cause the system to crash.

Paddy_N_Murphy

16,298 posts

72 months

[news] 
Tuesday 8th October 2013 quote quote all
gred said:
Magic919 said:
Spoken to them lately? I heard they were offering an upgrade with full postcodes a few weeks ago.
There is an OPC upgrade available at Exeter, but the official line is that Porsche are still working on a fix for some glitches that can cause the system to crash.
Any more on this would be Fab.

What cars / PCM's would come under this ?
A recall or just those still being serviced by OPC?

markiii

494 posts

82 months

[news] 
Tuesday 8th October 2013 quote quote all
It's only for PCM 3
Reply to Topic