PistonHeads.com Forum

S-Type warning light - worry or not?

S-Type warning light - worry or not?

Author
Discussion

simpo two

Original Poster:

66,637 posts

177 months

Monday 18th April 2005
quotequote all
Was trundling along today (2001 'X' reg) and noticed the little orange engine-shaped warning light was on. Pulled up to check handbook and all it said was 'goes out after ignition' or similar. It doesn't seem to indicate a specific fault.

So - mine stays on - does this mean a warning lamp has failed or is it just an electronic glitch I can ignore? Do I just live with it, or rush to a Jag dealer for wallet removal?

gchandler

7 posts

132 months

Tuesday 13th December 2005
quotequote all
Hi I sent a message to you via your web site Sorry to bother you.
But, can you help I have a 2001 S Type with the same problem, light has come on still runs ok Did you find out what the problem was?

Many Thanks

Graham

simpo two

Original Poster:

66,637 posts

177 months

Tuesday 13th December 2005
quotequote all
gchandler said:
Hi I sent a message to you via your web site Sorry to bother you. But, can you help I have a 2001 S Type with the same problem, light has come on still runs ok Did you find out what the problem was?

Hi Graham,
I replied yesterday - short answer is that it stopped coming on. Car still works! However if you have any doubts, best take it in for a lookover.

gchandler

7 posts

132 months

Tuesday 13th December 2005
quotequote all
Many Thanks

Hope mine does the same. But I am getting it checked, I will let you know the outcome.

Graham

Focus ST

252 posts

132 months

Tuesday 13th December 2005
quotequote all
I would pop it into a dealer and get them to read the DTC's out of the ECU . I am not sure of any cost for that.
Advertisement

lemmonie

6,259 posts

167 months

Wednesday 14th December 2005
quotequote all
I am a Jag service advisor, get it in to a dealer and get it checked for any fault codes.
If there is none we wouldnt normally charge but if there are some fault codes it will indicate a problem that will require repair.

chim500nj

394 posts

153 months

Wednesday 14th December 2005
quotequote all
My S-type had some warning lights come on, it was only down to the battery which had taken a hammering in the cold weather. My local HA FOX dealer told me that when the batteries get low some of the warning lights may come on..

simpo two

Original Poster:

66,637 posts

177 months

Wednesday 14th December 2005
quotequote all
lemmonie said:
I am a Jag service advisor

Congrats, you are hereby appointed forum consultant

lemmonie

6,259 posts

167 months

Wednesday 14th December 2005
quotequote all
oh god no!!!!!!!!

hehe



gchandler

7 posts

132 months

Wednesday 14th December 2005
quotequote all
Thanks for all the advice. I am haveing it checked Saturday AM Im doing about 65 miles a day until then, is it likely to go bang?

Graham

lemmonie

6,259 posts

167 months

Wednesday 14th December 2005
quotequote all
Hi,

Cant say for sure but you can drive it on an orange warning light. Obviously take it easy and if the light becomes a red one stop immeaditely and call Jag Assist and get it recovered in.
If you have Jag Assist and need to use them make sure you ask for a loan car else you wont get one!

gchandler

7 posts

132 months

Thursday 15th December 2005
quotequote all
simpo two said:
gchandler said:
Hi I sent a message to you via your web site Sorry to bother you. But, can you help I have a 2001 S Type with the same problem, light has come on still runs ok Did you find out what the problem was?

Hi Graham,
I replied yesterday - short answer is that it stopped coming on. Car still works! However if you have any doubts, best take it in for a lookover.

gchandler

7 posts

132 months

Thursday 15th December 2005
quotequote all
Hi all just like Simpos the lights gone out all this talking has cured it!!!!!!

Graham

rik08

3 posts

132 months

Thursday 15th December 2005
quotequote all
The check engine light indicates an issue with the engine / hardware. This could be something simple like a poor connection of a sensor.
The light will come on after 3 journeys (ie 3 failures), it will then clear after 3 trips if fault has gone away which would explain why the light has gone off for you.

If the light ever flashes, this is a because of a serious misfire which could result in catalyst damage (expensive) so if it does flash slow down and consult dealer at earliest chance. Try pulling over where safe and stop engine for 30 secs then restart, this may help.

A red check engine light is for diesels only. A petrol engine check engine light will not turn red.

If the check engine light does come on, a fault code will be stored which any garage should be able to check with a scan tool.

hope this info helps.

Rik

lemmonie

6,259 posts

167 months

Friday 16th December 2005
quotequote all
rik08 said:
The check engine light indicates an issue with the engine / hardware. This could be something simple like a poor connection of a sensor.
The light will come on after 3 journeys (ie 3 failures), it will then clear after 3 trips if fault has gone away which would explain why the light has gone off for you.

If the light ever flashes, this is a because of a serious misfire which could result in catalyst damage (expensive) so if it does flash slow down and consult dealer at earliest chance. Try pulling over where safe and stop engine for 30 secs then restart, this may help.

A red check engine light is for diesels only. A petrol engine check engine light will not turn red.

If the check engine light does come on, a fault code will be stored which any garage should be able to check with a scan tool. " "

hope this info helps.

Rik




Sorry but this is all wrong didddly wrong wrong......

pistol pete

799 posts

175 months

Friday 16th December 2005
quotequote all
lemmonie said:
rik08 said:

............
Rik



Sorry but this is all wrong didddly wrong wrong......



She's to right y'know. Mail me through my profile if you want somewhere cheaper than a Main dealer to look at it for you.

Pete

ps. Lemmonie -where do you work?

simpo two

Original Poster:

66,637 posts

177 months

Friday 16th December 2005
quotequote all
It would help if the Handbook was a bit more specific than 'Something might be a bit wrong'

I recall the story of 'Fuel Failure 69' or similar. Bloke was driving peacefully along (XJ6) when this warning flashed up. The terrified man immediately stops at a garage thinking he's about to blow up. Turns out that his speedo had broken. Computer thinks 'Hmm, the petrol is going down but we're not moving; must be a fuel leak'





lemmonie

6,259 posts

167 months

Friday 16th December 2005
quotequote all
the light is only to indicate that there is a problem. We dont like it when customers start self diagnosing stuff!

Our techinicians spend years training and we like them to use their brains occasionally!

lemmonie

6,259 posts

167 months

Friday 16th December 2005
quotequote all
simpo two said:
The terrified man immediately stops at a garage thinking he's about to blow up.





NOTE: Probably not the best place to pull over too if you suspect your engine is about to blow.

rik08

3 posts

132 months

Friday 16th December 2005
quotequote all
lemmonie said:............
Rik




Sorry but this is all wrong didddly wrong wrong......



Lemmonie, I don't believe this is wrong as I calibrate OBD on jaguars so I should know how the system works....

just trying to help