Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

cdt

Original Poster:

537 posts

165 months

[news] 
Tuesday 22nd November 2005 quote quote all
Anyone know if and where you can buy an engine insulating blanket from?

Are they different from a mylar blanket you'd have for hiking?

rev-erend

18,218 posts

167 months

[news] 
Thursday 24th November 2005 quote quote all
For one moment - I thought you very thinking of putting a blanket on your engine.

I did this years ago (Austin A30) and forgot and ended up with the blanket wrapped around the fan and the belt.. real mess.

cdt

Original Poster:

537 posts

165 months

[news] 
Thursday 24th November 2005 quote quote all
No, I was thinking of putting a blanket (not just any old blanket) on the engine - they do this in very cold countries. Presume it is a bad idea?

brummiewedge

4,678 posts

104 months

[news] 
Thursday 24th November 2005 quote quote all
If you are in scotland then only a tartan one will work.
Any where else just co-ordinate with the interior.

cdt

Original Poster:

537 posts

165 months

[news] 
Friday 25th November 2005 quote quote all
If it gets really cold (probably won't as I'm in the midlands), I've now got a mountain survival thermal blanket to put under the engine bay. It melts at 250 degree celsius - so it should be okay?

Is there a temperature below which the car isn't likely to start, or shouldn't temperature matter? It seems much harder to start when it is below zero.
Advertisement

number 7

3,266 posts

145 months

[news] 
Friday 25th November 2005 quote quote all
You might find one of these useful www.kenlowe.com/pre-heaters/cars/index.html

As long as the car is parked somewhere you can run a mains lead to. Used one in our old 350, on a timer, worked great.

7.

KJR

717 posts

148 months

[news] 
Saturday 26th November 2005 quote quote all
number 7 said:
You might find one of these useful www.kenlowe.com/pre-heaters/cars/index.html

As long as the car is parked somewhere you can run a mains lead to. Used one in our old 350, on a timer, worked great.

7.


How easy are these to fit, in my case to a 400SE wedge ?

number 7

3,266 posts

145 months

[news] 
Saturday 26th November 2005 quote quote all
KJR said:

How easy are these to fit, in my case to a 400SE wedge ?


If you're a reasonably competent diy'er, will be easy enough. I mounted mine in the space where the screen wash bottle sits, and just moved that reservoir forward a bit. Ideally you want it lower than the engine, to stop any air from rising to the pump, but there are not many places it will go in the engine bay. They don't get hot enough to open the 'stat, but IIRC it was c. 40-50 degrees c. which is a good start. I think we used to run it for c. 1 hour before we needed it.

7.

dickymint

11,981 posts

141 months

[news] 
Sunday 27th November 2005 quote quote all
number 7 said:
KJR said:

How easy are these to fit, in my case to a 400SE wedge ?


If you're a reasonably competent diy'er, will be easy enough. I mounted mine in the space where the screen wash bottle sits, and just moved that reservoir forward a bit. Ideally you want it lower than the engine, to stop any air from rising to the pump, but there are not many places it will go in the engine bay. They don't get hot enough to open the 'stat, but IIRC it was c. 40-50 degrees c. which is a good start. I think we used to run it for c. 1 hour before we needed it.

7.


Bought one last week off fleabay. Not fitted yet though. Mine heats the system up to 85C and also switches on the heater for the final half hour or so. Can't wait to get it going.

number 7

3,266 posts

145 months

[news] 
Sunday 27th November 2005 quote quote all
dickymint said:

Bought one last week off fleabay. Not fitted yet though. Mine heats the system up to 85C and also switches on the heater for the final half hour or so. Can't wait to get it going.


Sounds more sophisticated than the Kenlowe - IIRC it used 3KW heater - to get to 85 deg. c. I would think takes a lot more than that - and how does it switch on the heater?

7.

dickymint

11,981 posts

141 months

[news] 
Sunday 27th November 2005 quote quote all
number 7 said:
dickymint said:

Bought one last week off fleabay. Not fitted yet though. Mine heats the system up to 85C and also switches on the heater for the final half hour or so. Can't wait to get it going.


Sounds more sophisticated than the Kenlowe - IIRC it used 3KW heater - to get to 85 deg. c. I would think takes a lot more than that - and how does it switch on the heater?

7.


Mine is Kenlowe - 2.7kW. With interior heating option as explained here....www.kenlowe.com/pre-heaters/cars/automatic.html

Mine is an older version of this (round cannister style with seperate pump). The new type can be bolted down whereas the older type can't be bolted down due to vibration issues or something.

tasmania

779 posts

146 months

[news] 
Sunday 27th November 2005 quote quote all
I've got one off a series 2 350i
Give me a mail on gbw98@btinternet.com
TaS

powerblanket

2 posts

78 months

[news] 
Wednesday 16th January 2008 quote quote all
PowerBlanket electric outdoor heated blankets will perfect for what you need.
http://powerblanket.com/Thawing/c4/p29/ExtraHot-Su...

powerblanket

2 posts

78 months

[news] 
Tuesday 23rd December 2008 quote quote all
powerblanket makes a whole line of electric engine warming blankets.
http://www.powerblanket.com/engine_blankets-a-38.h...

GV

2,073 posts

107 months

[news] 
Wednesday 24th December 2008 quote quote all
OMG....

cdt

Original Poster:

537 posts

165 months

[news] 
Wednesday 24th December 2008 quote quote all
I love the fact my thread has been bumped up twice now, each time a year in between. If you search for "engine blanket" in Google, this thread is the 2nd result.

BillSimo46

1 posts

54 months

[news] 
Wednesday 6th January 2010 quote quote all
To CDT, How did the survival blanket work on your engine? Any problems with combustion? Thanks, Bill

JR

9,002 posts

141 months

[news] 
Wednesday 6th January 2010 quote quote all
The Power blanket looks quite good but $270 dollars doesn't.

Just check that you have plenty of anti-freeze, spray the engine bay with WD40 shortly after a good run and make sure that you have a healthy battery.
Reply to Topic